Gun Control

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Should the general public be allowed to own guns?

Yes, anyone should
32%
Yes, except convicted felons
58%
No, they should not
5%
Neutral on the subject, depending on circumstances
5%

Total votes: 19

The Martins

Gun Control

Postby The Martins » April 19th, 2003, 4:38 pm

By request

Brian
Da Bomb!

My reason

Postby Brian » April 19th, 2003, 6:17 pm

So far it seems I am the only one to choose "yes, anyone should" so far.

I guesss I should clear up exactly what I mean. I was gonna pick #2 but I have mixed feeling about which convicted felons should be permitted gun ownership. As far as violent felons I say they shouldnt own guns, but what about felons of a non-violent nature? Is anyone who is conviced of a crime a felon? Are convicted theives felons? What about minor drug convictions? I am not too sure of all the classifications in legal terms, which is why I didnt exactly know how to vote. Also I have a personal reason. A close family member of mine is in fact a convicted felon. That person is now 27, but when they were about 20 or 21 they were involved with a young female , well under the legal age of consent. I am very close to this family member and we have talked quite alot about the details of the case. From there account(both parties), there was no accual sexual relations between the two, but definately a fine line of desensy was crossed. There was a conviction, and some jail time, and probation(mainly because of the age of the girl). That probation has just been completed this past month and I have to say I am glad, as well as the person in question. This person is in no way a violent fenon, although because of the age of the offended he is classified as such and at this time is not permitted to own a firearm of any sort. This person loves to hunt, BIG TIME. We all grew up in the country and hunting is a major part of almost all our family. This has been difficult cause the good ol boy nature of this person. Ya know, country boy, mountain man kinda stuff. Thats isnt me,..I hate to hunt. Anyway,....this person says he can potition the courts to get his gun rights back, but isnt sure if he will , or how long it will take. I think he should be allowed, but then again I am probably parcial because its family.

I guess my choice would be a case by case basis, even when convicted felons are involved.

God bless

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Pastor Bill » April 21st, 2003, 2:55 am

Michael I see your point, but still voted down felons because I do think there needs to be a little more restrictions on their lives.

I think when it comes to Felons there needs to be a little more than In or Out, Jailed or Free mentality, because even with the penalty being payed they still will need to build back trust. Most Felons spend some time on Parol and are watched very closely when first released, during this time a suspension of some rights is expected while they are given an opportunity to show they are going to deserve those rights. After a period of parol

As for extra harm for law abiding citizens, I know many of our current laws do make things difficult, and this is frustrating, but simplifying it to Felony conviction or not would make it much faster, and take less technology than is needed currently for me to buy a hunting license at WalMart. Simplifying the current laws down to only limiting felons would be perfectly within constitutional guidelines (many current laws are not IMO)

Kenya

Postby Kenya » April 21st, 2003, 5:45 am

This is a really hard topic for me. I am very strong Republican. I strongly support the right to bear arms.

But, I don't like guns. I have a severe fear of them. I have never let my children even play with them or pretend to be shooting someone. There were hunting guns in the house when I was a child but I never remember seeing them. We have guns now and I make Joey keep them out of my sight. He doesn't hunt. I really don't know why we have them.

I have known about the Kennesaw thing for awhile because Joey is originally from that area and his parents live in Kennesaw. It amazed me -the impact owning guns had on a community like that. I cannot disagree with those type of statistics which I have seen firsthand - Kennesaw is a nice place to live, if one must live in or around Atlanta.

I realize that my ignorance (and stubborn fear - kind of like my fear of your snakes, Scott) in this area could kill me. Guns are just not something that I really want to learn about.

The postings here have helped me to realize that I really need to at least learn how to use a gun (safely) - even though I don't want to. I don't like having double standards about anything - even this.
Kenya

I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing! Galatians 2:21

http://www.somersetcommunitymission.com

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Good for you

Postby Pastor Bill » April 21st, 2003, 6:21 am

Good for you Kenya, facing ones fears is almost always good thing, but in this situation (the fact that you have guns in your home) it is a really good choice.

No one ever collects the USEFUL statistics when it comes to gun related injuries, but from what I have seen most come from carelessness or lack of basic safety training. Think of a gun much like you would a knife or pair of scissors, it is a tool with a good purpose, but also needs to be handled properly and kept out of reach of someone who cannot handle it properly, or use it responsibly.

My wife had never really been around guns when we married, but when I first brought my shotgun home from my parent's house the first thing I did was sit down with her and we talked about it I pointed out how it works, and how to handle it safely. Rose actually has found that she even likes shooting targets sometimes, but the most important thing to me is that she knows how to be safe, and how to check to be sure a gun is unloaded and safe. Without knowing at least how to unload and safely handle the gun, I don't think a person should have it in their home.

I guess my point is this, anyone who is around guns needs to be aware of gun safety, because the more CORRECT knowledge they have, the better.

Gerald Creasy

Postby Gerald Creasy » April 21st, 2003, 7:15 am

You know I really do not know where I am on "Gun Control"

Growing up I was around guns a little. Shot grandpa's shotgun into the side of an old tree in front of the old Somerset parsonage; went hunting as an observer with some folk; shot a few handguns a relative with nefarious leanings had "acquired" target practicing behind the Holiday Inn up on the big Hill in Cleveland Tn.

But I've never owned one. And really don't plan to.

I am against government intrusion on the right to bear arms for the simple fact that the government controlls too much of our lives already.

I never thought I'd favor gun control in the slightest until I got married and met my wifes family.

Thanksgiving meant two things: Turkey and targets. Every gun these people owned were brought out and shot and shot and shot.

My wifes Uncle makes Guns from parts of guns so theres no record of them (and parts he cant get he makes), and is stocking up supplies for the "coming Race War". He's a belligerent knowitall that dosent know squat and ignorant as can be.

MY Father in Law is almost as gun crazy. The man is 6' 7" and packs a gun everywhere he goes out of fear. He has several hand guns and derringers. I'll never forget the day he came to me almost slobbering with excitement and thrust a 1950s era Russian SkS or somesuch into my hands and crowed about how it was made the very year he was born!

Seeing these borderline crazies and knowing that yeah, there are folk out there that are worse ometimes makes me question whethre gun control would really be all bad.

(of course the very day they enacted a universal gun control I'd be over to the Uncle who's awaiting the Race War and asking to be hooked up with one of those untraceables)

The Martins

Postby The Martins » April 21st, 2003, 7:41 am

Found this interesting article:

GUN OWNERSHIP MANDATORY IN KENNESAW, GEORGIA
Crime Rate Plummets - Why Doesn't The Media Visit Kennesaw?

"The New American magazine reminds us that March 25th marked the 16th anniversary of Kennesaw, Georgia's ordinance requiring heads of households (with certain exceptions) to keep at least one firearm in their homes. The city's population grew from around 5,000 in 1980 to 13,000 by 1996 (latest available estimate). Yet there have been only three murders: two with knives (1984 and 1987) and one with a firearm (1997). After the law went into effect in 1982, crime against persons plummeted 74 percent compared to 1981, and fell another 45 percent in 1983 compared to 1982. And it has stayed impressively low. In addition to nearly non-existent homicide (murders have averaged a mere 0.19 per year), the annual number of armed robberies, residential burglaries, commercial burglaries, and rapes have averaged, respectively, 1.69, 31.63, 19.75, and 2.00 through 1998. With all the attention that has been heaped upon the lawful possession of firearms lately, you would think that a city that requires gun ownership would be the center of a media feeding frenzy. It isn't. The fact is I can't remember a major media outlet even mentioning Kennesaw. Can you? The reason is obvious. Kennesaw proves that the presence of firearms actually improves safety and security. This is not the message that the media want us to hear. They want us to believe that guns are evil and are the cause of violence. The facts tell a different story. What is even more interesting about Kennesaw is that the city's crime rate decreased with the simple knowledge that the entire community was armed. The bad guys didn't force the residents to prove it. Just knowing that residents were armed prompted them to move on to easier targets. Most criminals don't have a death wish. There have been two occasions in my own family when the presence of a handgun averted potential disaster. In both instances the gun was never aimed at a person and no shot was fired."

AndyG
700+ Posts

Aw...

Postby AndyG » April 21st, 2003, 9:53 am

As much as I hate to admit it, I have to say I agree, to a point, with Michael on this one. (man that just makes me feel awful ;) )

I don't think I can FULLY support everything he's saying on this, but I do believe he's in the right neighborhood.
In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination.
- Mark Twain

He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man I ever met.
- Abraham Lincoln

AndyG
700+ Posts

Re: Aw...

Postby AndyG » April 21st, 2003, 10:52 am

Michael wrote:
AndyG wrote:As much as I hate to admit it, I have to say I agree, to a point, with Michael on this one. (man that just makes me feel awful ;) )

I don't think I can FULLY support everything he's saying on this, but I do believe he's in the right neighborhood.

You extremist! :P

I finally figured it out. It all makes sense now. I know why you are like you are.

I just noticed you were from NH. That explains everything :lol:
In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination.

- Mark Twain

- Abraham Lincoln

Shellie
Site Admin

Postby Shellie » April 21st, 2003, 10:53 am

Micheal wrote:

At the risk of being called a "sexist," I tend to think that women in general don't like guns.

Hmm, well, let's see. I own a .25 semi-automatic and a .38 revolver. One was a birthday present and one was a Christmas present. And those are my own personal ones. (scooter takes care of himself :lol: ) I have my license to carry a concealed weapon. The last time I shot at a target, I shot twice. One hit the shoulder and the other the forehead. I am a woman.

So, what does this make me? 8)
[/quote]
There never was a horse that couldn't be rode and there never was a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

The Martins

Postby The Martins » April 21st, 2003, 12:39 pm

[

A good shot. And someone I wouldn't mess with! :lol:

AndyG
700+ Posts

Postby AndyG » April 21st, 2003, 1:38 pm

Shellie wrote:The last time I shot at a target, I shot twice. One hit the shoulder and the other the forehead. I am a woman.

Someone I definitly want to stay on the GOOD side of ;)

- Mark Twain

- Abraham Lincoln

Kenya

Postby Kenya » April 21st, 2003, 1:45 pm

Shellie wrote:Hmm, well, let's see. I own a .25 semi-automatic and a .38 revolver. One was a birthday present and one was a Christmas present. And those are my own personal ones. (scooter takes care of himself :lol: ) I have my license to carry a concealed weapon. The last time I shot at a target, I shot twice. One hit the shoulder and the other the forehead. I am a woman.

Hmmm, sounds like a "mountain woman" to me. Granny from the Beverly Hilbillies, maybe? Oh, and with all them critters in your house, Josie could be Elly Mae. :lol:
Kenya

I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing! Galatians 2:21

http://www.somersetcommunitymission.com

AndyG
700+ Posts

Re: Aw...

Postby AndyG » April 21st, 2003, 3:48 pm

Michael wrote:I think it's having an effect on me. :)

You hide it well :lol:

- Mark Twain

- Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”