COGOP Leadership Transition

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Interesting thoughts

Postby Pastor Gary » May 1st, 2013, 11:15 am

I will be in Malaysia in two weeks meeting with the Asia/Oceania Overseers and our General Presbyter. (Bishop Howard had been scheduled to attend that meeting, but...)

Our main agenda item WAS (past tense) the selection of the man to succeed Bishop Browder as Presbyter, as he has announced he will be stepping down from that role at the 2014 Assembly. That will still go forward, but I suspect that our new additional priority will be some discussion of possible names to be considered for new General Overseer.

I am reading this thread with some interest, because I am pondering and praying about who I would add to the list. Who would I feel confident in nominating? I was all settled in my mind about the A/O Presbyter selection and who I would prefer to serve with, and now this new twist.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Spiritofconquest
Regular

selection

Postby Spiritofconquest » May 1st, 2013, 11:25 am

Why not let the Holy Ghost give the name? Who knows better than The Holy Ghost? That's always been our problem, its always good to us first, then the Holy Ghost. I say its time to get back to letting it be good to the Holy Ghost and then to us. Perhaps, as it has been said already, there is a David hidden in the field.

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Pastor Bill » May 1st, 2013, 11:38 am

Since PG said this was not an issue of immorality, why do we jump to the assumption there are family problems?

Some of you may have an inside scoop, but if so it's probably not the most appropriate to make that public. Regardless of his personal reasons, he made the decision on what was best for himself, his family and the church, and if he was half the christian he was known as this has come after serious prayer and seeking for wisdom.

Now it is time for the church to do the same, seek wisdom, yes from the HS, and from our brothers and sisters. God is still the one in control, and He will carry us through what ever decisions are made. IF you are in a position to influence that decision, pray about it, if you are not, then pray for the ones who are, but let's not gossip about reasons, jump to conclusions or down the process when seeking God is much more effective.
"Why would God allow Hitler his chapter in history? Why would God send a whale to swallow Jonah or turn a woman into a pillar of salt? Surely there were other ways. But I'll leave the particular methods of God to God."
-Spoken by David Abraham, Showdown by Ted Dekker

Pastor Gary

Re: selection

Postby Pastor Gary » May 1st, 2013, 12:41 pm

Spiritofconquest wrote:Why not let the Holy Ghost give the name? Who knows better than The Holy Ghost? That's always been our problem, its always good to us first, then the Holy Ghost. I say its time to get back to letting it be good to the Holy Ghost and then to us. Perhaps, as it has been said already, there is a David hidden in the field.

The Holy Ghost works through people most of the time. The Holy Ghost may give someone reading this post "the name" and prompt them to suggest it. I seem to recall the Holy Ghost choosing a replacement for Judas by the outcome of casting lots. :wink:
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

scooter
--== J2 ==--

Re: Let the games begin!

Postby scooter » May 1st, 2013, 3:55 pm

PastorP wrote:
Please notice that I did not "shout" about how good an overseer he is, only to say to leave him alone. I then stated that I had quit shouting. I hardly need instruction on what all caps mean. Sorry if I offended you, but that is what I wrote.

Response: No biggy. I was just trying to help you keep him. lol
What we need here is a good revival! lol

Phil Hoover
Hey, hey, hey

What about

Postby Phil Hoover » May 2nd, 2013, 4:10 am

Cathy Payne?

I believe a woman serving in leadership--in the very top spot--would be GREAT...would be a giant step forward...for the Body of Christ, and for Pentecostals in general.

Maybe even someone like Kay Horner (though she would KILL me, if she knew that I had mentioned her name...).
There is a ROCK between me and a hard place. His name is JESUS.

paul
I can see clearly now!

Re: Interesting thoughts

Postby paul » May 2nd, 2013, 5:22 am

Pastor Gary wrote:I will be in Malaysia in two weeks meeting with the Asia/Oceania Overseers and our General Presbyter. (Bishop Howard had been scheduled to attend that meeting, but...)

Our main agenda item WAS (past tense) the selection of the man to succeed Bishop Browder as Presbyter, as he has announced he will be stepping down from that role at the 2014 Assembly. That will still go forward, but I suspect that our new additional priority will be some discussion of possible names to be considered for new General Overseer.

I am reading this thread with some interest, because I am pondering and praying about who I would add to the list. Who would I feel confident in nominating? I was all settled in my mind about the A/O Presbyter selection and who I would prefer to serve with, and now this new twist.

My prayer is that your name would be at the top of the list for the A/O position. You have served and lived in this region for many years and there is no question of your love, understanding and committment to the people. Whether you want it or not is another issue. But in all seriousness you would me my first thought and choice. I do pray for wisdom and guideince for the leaders in cogop at this crucial time. Just from me......go slowly, and listen to the voice of the Spirit. My prayers are for the absolute best outcome for the cogop organization. I only met Bro. Howard many years ago at the assembly through Gary and Bonnie, They are in our prayers during this time of transition.
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting
and preserving yourself.

paul
I can see clearly now!

Re: What about

Postby paul » May 2nd, 2013, 5:28 am

Phil Hoover wrote:Cathy Payne?

I believe a woman serving in leadership--in the very top spot--would be GREAT...would be a giant step forward...for the Body of Christ, and for Pentecostals in general.

Maybe even someone like Kay Horner (though she would KILL me, if she knew that I had mentioned her name...).

To drastic of a change at to critical of a time in the organization. IMHO
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting

and preserving yourself.

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Postby dawgs10 » May 2nd, 2013, 7:19 am

David Browder would be a great GO but its my understanding that GP's do not want to be in the running. To bad...

PastorP
Hall Of Fame

Re: Let the games begin!

Postby PastorP » May 2nd, 2013, 8:32 am

scooter wrote:
PastorP wrote:
Please notice that I did not "shout" about how good an overseer he is, only to say to leave him alone. I then stated that I had quit shouting. I hardly need instruction on what all caps mean. Sorry if I offended you, but that is what I wrote.

Response: No biggy. I was just trying to help you keep him. lol

Thank you for your kind spirit.
PastorP
Proverbs 3:6 (MSG) Listen for GOD's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track.

Pastor Gary

Browder

Postby Pastor Gary » May 2nd, 2013, 11:41 am

dawgs10 wrote:David Browder would be a great GO but its my understanding that GP's do not want to be in the running. To bad...

David is a fine man. As you stated, he (and all the General Presbyters) removed his name from consideration, and has been in the midst of his own transition into stepping down from being a Presbyter.

Pastor Gary

Re: Interesting thoughts

Postby Pastor Gary » May 2nd, 2013, 11:43 am

paul wrote:
Pastor Gary wrote:I will be in Malaysia in two weeks meeting with the Asia/Oceania Overseers and our General Presbyter. (Bishop Howard had been scheduled to attend that meeting, but...)

My prayer is that your name would be at the top of the list for the A/O position. You have served and lived in this region for many years and there is no question of your love, understanding and committment to the people. Whether you want it or not is another issue. But in all seriousness you would me my first thought and choice. I do pray for wisdom and guideince for the leaders in cogop at this crucial time. Just from me......go slowly, and listen to the voice of the Spirit. My prayers are for the absolute best outcome for the cogop organization. I only met Bro. Howard many years ago at the assembly through Gary and Bonnie, They are in our prayers during this time of transition.

Paul, of course it is an honor to even be mentioned as worthy of consideration, but my personal opinion is that the most likely person is Jung Min Lee of Korea. He is younger (the international travel would be easier), would be the first ASIAN GP to lead the region, has a wonderful Seminary education, is totally English-fluent, and is a good man. But I do appreciate the affirmation!

Shellie
Site Admin

Postby Shellie » May 2nd, 2013, 12:53 pm

What's funny to me is why a post about a change in leadership (by choice) would automatically tense things up... :wink:
There never was a horse that couldn't be rode and there never was a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

Billy n NC

Postby Billy n NC » May 2nd, 2013, 1:12 pm

Shellie wrote:What's funny to me is why a post about a change in leadership (by choice) would automatically tense things up... :wink:

Shellie, May be a bit of (old way of doing things) coming through. Remember the first 2 GP's (overseers) were for life.. and change is difficult.
Billy Broach
Ebroach Services
http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/

Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes

Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb

Shellie
Site Admin

Postby Shellie » May 2nd, 2013, 1:22 pm

Shellie, May be a bit of (old way of doing things) coming through. Remember the first 2 GP's (overseers) were for life.. and change is difficult.

True. 8)
There never was a horse that couldn't be rode and there never was a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”