Gideons at a Pentecostal service

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

dolfan
Established Member

Gideons at a Pentecostal service

Postby dolfan » March 19th, 2013, 4:54 pm

We had two very nice men from Gideons International at church on Sunday night. We also had a very solemn sermon from our pastor on repentance, and a message in tongues with interpretation regarding our need to repent of secret sin and lifestyle choices.

The Gideons reps were very calm. :). They handled the experience quite well, if a little without words, and pleasantly. I am sure they had lots to discuss after they left. We made sure to donate. I hope plenty of others did. They were sweet spirited, older men. And, it was a pleasure to have them speak and participate with us.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » March 25th, 2013, 3:18 am

I'm sure they are accustomed to it.

They attended one or 2 of our services (not that we speak in tongues all the time) last year and we took up a special offering. If they get around like that then I'd assume they see everything.

I thought you attended a Baptist church.
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

darylscook
Hall Of Fame

Some ARE pentecostal!

Postby darylscook » March 25th, 2013, 5:10 am

Actually, they come from all types of churches. Some come from COGOP and other trinitarian pentecostal churches. I'm sure they've attended many spirit filled services before.
Daryl S. Cook, Senior Pastor
Pearl Church
The Church of God of Prophecy
Pearl, MS

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » March 25th, 2013, 5:48 am

Full Quiver wrote:I'm sure they are accustomed to it.

They attended one or 2 of our services (not that we speak in tongues all the time) last year and we took up a special offering. If they get around like that then I'd assume they see everything.

I thought you attended a Baptist church.

Nope. COG for past 3+ years. Give or take a couple months. I forget. :)
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

dbserv
Hey, hey, hey

Re: Gideons at a Pentecostal service

Postby dbserv » May 2nd, 2013, 12:15 pm

dolfan wrote:The Gideons reps were very calm. :). They handled the experience quite well, if a little without words, and pleasantly. I am sure they had lots to discuss after they left.

I have @ least 50 "pentecostal" friends who are active Gideons. In all of their particular "camps", they attempt to send pentecostals to the pentecostal/charismatic churches for their annual visits. If that isn't possible, then their training covers all possible scenarios that they might find themselves exposed to.

So, I am sure that their discussion centered on the presence of the Holy Spirit in the service. Cause, we all KNOW that no speaking in tongues (or "interpretation") would ever occur in a service without being truly of the Holy Spirit, AND, the days of "showing them 'non-pentecostals' how it's done" are long gone. :)

I am just smiling, cause remembering how many times I saw that in practice, HURTS way too much to laugh about it - still!!!
God Bless You

Dan Bagley

Billy n NC

Postby Billy n NC » May 2nd, 2013, 1:14 pm

We have several members who are active with the Gideon's for several years.. One of them is the leader of the camp.. >???
Billy Broach
Ebroach Services
http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/

Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes

Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb

dbserv
Hey, hey, hey

Postby dbserv » May 2nd, 2013, 1:31 pm

Billy n NC wrote:We have several members who are active with the Gideon's for several years.. One of them is the leader of the camp.. >???

AWESOME!!!
God Bless You

Dan Bagley

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”