Anyone read Francis Chan's "Forgotten God"?

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

dolfan
Established Member

Anyone read Francis Chan's "Forgotten God"?

Postby dolfan » January 18th, 2011, 4:04 pm

I read this book a couple of days ago. For me, it was quite powerful and I felt in many ways that the author was pulling words right out of my head about some things. Anybody know anything about him? I've checked out his website/blog and he's very intensely focused on following God from what I can tell. Just really love the guy's heart as I read his book. He's got one other book, I think only one, called "Crazy Love".
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

Shellie
Site Admin

Postby Shellie » January 19th, 2011, 1:50 am

I have read Crazy Love. Awesome book! I will have to read the other.
There never was a horse that couldn't be rode and there never was a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-

Postby DeWayneTN » January 19th, 2011, 4:48 am

From what I know of Francis Chan, I have been impressed. He is leaving his church because he says it became too much about him, that he began to hear his name called more than the Holy Spirit. He's going to Asia to do missions, I believe. Crazy Love is intense and convicting - great read!
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)
Visit my blog: www.dewaynehamby.com

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » January 19th, 2011, 9:21 am

DeWayne, that's one of the things that has endeared this man's heart to me. His blog contains a few updates, mostly posted by his wife, that describe God's activity in Thailand. You can tell from the tone of his blog, website, and those posts that personal recognition really puts him off. He wants to not be known, basically, but wants to be obedient.

I may as well say this here, too. I had already repented of a lot of things that he pleads with readers of "Forgotten God" to remember, think and do. God is working in our lives in ways I had not known or had forgotten. I'm thankful my wife bought this book the other night at Wal-Mart of all places, seeing the title and having a deep sense of "I need to take that book home to my husband." God is faithful.

We've a lot going on, to say the least. Challenges that seem insurmountable, truly; things we're reaping. But, that's okay, too. We are keenly aware, because God is showing us, that His gifts and call are not only without repentance, but worth whatever has to be lost to obey Him. We need your prayers. And, this book....man. It has ripped me up pretty good. :lol:
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Chan

Postby Pastor Gary » January 20th, 2011, 8:45 pm

Francis is the real deal. I've met him, chatted with him and sat under his teaching and preaching more than a few times. He has been a huge influence on me.
This Chan video is several years old, but captures his personality and heart well:
juststopandthink.com
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”