Put A Ring On It

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

soulsearcher
What's next?

Put A Ring On It

Postby soulsearcher » February 9th, 2010, 4:40 am

My pastor started a month long series this past Sunday called, "Man Up". It was pretty intense and only promises to to get more intense each Sunday this month. As he said, "Sorry men, but this is going to hurt. There are times that you just need your butt whipped."

At the end of the series, on February 28, we are having a mass wedding.

Here's the video promo shown to the congregation in all three services. The place was howling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPX_YLQeNDo

cndlou
Hall Of Fame

Postby cndlou » February 9th, 2010, 6:30 am

Soulsearcher, I just have to tell you I have been having a "Alexander" kind of day (horrible, rotten, etc etc etc) and this made me laugh out loud... I love the idea but the video is hilarious to me... Thanks for brightening up a bad day!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pastorbps
Whoa!!
Whoa!!

Postby Pastorbps » February 9th, 2010, 7:19 am

Good stuff. I thought it was hilarious and what a great idea!

Ilovebigcats
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Ilovebigcats » February 9th, 2010, 8:23 am

That was awesome!!!!! LOL

soulsearcher
What's next?

Postby soulsearcher » February 15th, 2010, 6:09 am

Thanks, Cats. The guy with glasses in the middle is my nephew and pastor, Jeffrey Smith. :D

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » February 15th, 2010, 6:42 am

Are there any prerequisites for those who want to take part in the"mass wedding"? Any counseling beforehand other than the sermon series or will this be a come one, come all event?
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

soulsearcher
What's next?

Postby soulsearcher » February 16th, 2010, 4:41 pm

FQ, yes, two counseling sessions offered (but not required) and of course a marriage license.

As indicated, "mass wedding" could be anywhere from 2 - ? but I know they have been registering couples (just don't know how many yet). It was stated if one couple did the right thing, it is worth it.

Pastor Jeffrey clarified this past Sunday that numbers is not the goal. He said in essence to those who have been living together as couples, "If you want to do the right thing according to God's word, you can do one of two things: don't live together anymore, or get married - IF you sincerely love the other person and want to spend the rest of your life faithful to them and them alone."

One couple who has been living together for 13 years and has three children were really challenged by this teaching (the man in the relationship). One young man in another relationship told his girlfriend, "I'm moving out and living with my parents until we do this right." Many have said, "This is too hard." The initial reaction was basically shock. Amazing what society has done to this generation.

teach
I can see clearly now!

Postby teach » February 17th, 2010, 2:20 am

soulsearcher wrote:FQ, yes, two counseling sessions offered (but not required) and of course a marriage license.

As indicated, "mass wedding" could be anywhere from 2 - ? but I know they have been registering couples (just don't know how many yet). It was stated if one couple did the right thing, it is worth it.

Pastor Jeffrey clarified this past Sunday that numbers is not the goal. He said in essence to those who have been living together as couples, "If you want to do the right thing according to God's word, you can do one of two things: don't live together anymore, or get married - IF you sincerely love the other person and want to spend the rest of your life faithful to them and them alone."

One couple who has been living together for 13 years and has three children were really challenged by this teaching (the man in the relationship). One young man in another relationship told his girlfriend, "I'm moving out and living with my parents until we do this right." Many have said, "This is too hard." The initial reaction was basically shock. Amazing what society has done to this generation.

AMEN!!! I really admire your pastor for doing this! More pastors should take this type of initiative instead of just letting people continue to live in sin.

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » February 17th, 2010, 3:14 am

I guess my question and therefore reservation is that if in the name of doing the right thing a couple marries that really shouldn't then what? Obviously you wouldn't want ANY of these marriages to turn into divorces a few years down the road especially if children come into the picture.

Don't get me wrong; I love the fact that your pastor is willing to get to the point and challenge these type of relationships.
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Pastor Bill » February 18th, 2010, 5:41 am

Even with counseling you can't force people to do it right, and some that I've counseled with that I thought were strong fell apart, and some that I was unsure about have stuck it out, but if he's getting the message out through this series, it's better than many do today.
"Why would God allow Hitler his chapter in history? Why would God send a whale to swallow Jonah or turn a woman into a pillar of salt? Surely there were other ways. But I'll leave the particular methods of God to God."
-Spoken by David Abraham, Showdown by Ted Dekker

soulsearcher
What's next?

Postby soulsearcher » February 18th, 2010, 8:23 am

FQ, I absolutely understand where you are coming from - that is why he emphasized,

. . . get married - IF you sincerely love the other person and want to spend the rest of your life faithful to them and them alone."

By the way, the update in church last night was that, so far, 9 couples are registered for the ceremony.

Pastorbps
Whoa!!
Whoa!!

Postby Pastorbps » February 19th, 2010, 5:31 pm

I think this is a good idea and I applaud pastor's for doing this.

. . . get married - IF you sincerely love the other person and want to spend the rest of your life faithful to them and them alone."

I hope he added this...
"And if you don't get married then stop living together and stop having sex without being married and if you are going to continue to live together and have sex then stop calling yourself a Christian."

RamboPreacher
RamboPreacher

Postby RamboPreacher » February 20th, 2010, 6:08 am

Pastorbps wrote:...
I hope he added this...
"And if you don't get married then stop living together and stop having sex without being married and if you are going to continue to live together and have sex then stop calling yourself a Christian."

interesting view Pastor. is sexual sin somehow different than other sins? if someone has sin in their life at all, does that mean they are not a Christian? Are you a sinless person, that does not have sin in your life at all, so therefor you are a Christian?
Thanks, Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling

oletimer
Da Bomb!

Postby oletimer » February 20th, 2010, 6:56 am

RamboPreacher Posted:

Pastorbps wrote:

I hope he added this...

interesting view Pastor. is sexual sin somehow different than other sins? if someone has sin in their life at all, does that mean they are not a Christian? Are you a sinless person, that does not have sin in your life at all, so therefor you are a Christian?

Rambo you've posted your views so I guess I can to. I guess that I read these verses different then you and some others.

Ro 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
Ro 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
Ro 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

1Co 15:34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

1Jo 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
1Jo 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

1Co 7:36 But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry.

For a person to make a mistake and get it made right with God is one thing, but to live in sin and call oneself a Christian is hypocrisy.
God Bless

oletimer
Da Bomb!

Postby oletimer » February 20th, 2010, 6:57 am

RamboPreacher Posted:

Pastorbps wrote:

I hope he added this...

Rambo you've posted your views so I guess I can to. I guess that I read these verses different then you and some others.

Ro 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
Ro 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
Ro 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

1Co 15:34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

1Jo 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
1Jo 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

1Co 7:36 But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry.

For a person to make a mistake and get it made right with God is one thing, but to live in sin and call oneself a Christian is hypocrisy.
God Bless

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”