Facebook cited in 20% of divorces this year

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-

Facebook cited in 20% of divorces this year

Postby DeWayneTN » December 23rd, 2009, 6:14 am

Interesting article. I think someone on here has spoken about the need to guard yourself on there, so I thought you'd want to take a look at this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/185324/f ... vorce.html
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)
Visit my blog: www.dewaynehamby.com

MacUser
Established Member

Re: Facebook cited in 20% of divorces this year

Postby MacUser » December 23rd, 2009, 6:45 am

DeWayneTN wrote:Interesting article. I think someone on here has spoken about the need to guard yourself on there, so I thought you'd want to take a look at this:

Interesting research from "Divorce Online" from the article..

The root of the problem should come as no surprise: Too many spouses are using the social network for flirting -- or more.

"The most common reason seemed to be people having inappropriate sexual chats with people they were not supposed to," Mark Keenan, Divorce-Online's managing director, is quoted as saying.

Although the article takes it to task actually.
Chris -

... Behold, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world!
John 1:29

Phil Hoover
Hey, hey, hey

It's probably

Postby Phil Hoover » December 23rd, 2009, 7:41 am

very easy to blame FaceBook or any other mechanism for your own failures...

I'm not saying that FB or any other mechanism is "lily white"...but I find that FB is being used as a scapegoat...
There is a ROCK between me and a hard place. His name is JESUS.

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Re: It's probably

Postby dawgs10 » December 23rd, 2009, 8:14 am

Phil Hoover wrote:very easy to blame FaceBook or any other mechanism for your own failures...

I'm not saying that FB or any other mechanism is "lily white"...but I find that FB is being used as a scapegoat...

i agree. FB has nothing to do with a man or women cheating. they will find away with or without it.

teach
I can see clearly now!

Postby teach » December 23rd, 2009, 10:02 am

dawgs10 wrote:
Phil Hoover wrote:very easy to blame FaceBook or any other mechanism for your own failures...

i agree. FB has nothing to do with a man or women cheating. they will find away with or without it.

I completely agree with both of you! Anything in life can be used the wrong way. We have to have the self control to use things appropriately.

wendy k

RamboPreacher
RamboPreacher

Postby RamboPreacher » December 23rd, 2009, 10:06 am

teach wrote:
dawgs10 wrote:

I completely agree with both of you! Anything in life can be used the wrong way. We have to have the self control to use things appropriately.

wendy k
Zactly wen, zactly.
Thanks, Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling

DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-

Postby DeWayneTN » December 23rd, 2009, 12:14 pm

I think yall misunderstood the point of my post. What I was actually trying to say was that if you have a Facebook account, you're a big sinner.
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)

Visit my blog: www.dewaynehamby.com

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Funny!

Postby Pastor Gary » December 23rd, 2009, 12:21 pm

DeWayneTN wrote:I think yall misunderstood the point of my post. What I was actually trying to say was that if you have a Facebook account, you're a big sinner.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

RamboPreacher
RamboPreacher

Postby RamboPreacher » December 23rd, 2009, 2:19 pm

DeWayneTN wrote:I think yall misunderstood the point of my post. What I was actually trying to say was that if you have a Facebook account, you're a big sinner.
ahh - eye sea.
Thanks, Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling

JohnDB
Whoa!!
Whoa!!

Postby JohnDB » December 23rd, 2009, 2:26 pm

Actually my take is that facebook is only recording what was already going on.

It is an electronic medium that will store information...

and that information is accessable to those you may not want accessing it (like a soon to be ex-spouse)

everything from crawling technology to other spying technologies are out there to find anything about anybody when it goes online.

Instead of payphones and meetings at sleezy motels people cheating on their spouses has taken an electronic approach which is more easly traceable and found out about.

I don't think of facebook in itself is a sin...no more than a shovel or gun is a sin. I keep up with friends and family which are spread all over the earth. The closest I have gotten into sin with on the internet was to tell my cousin she was a brat....because of diaper syndrome. (I have changed hers when she was a baby and she is now 21)
I want to die like Grandpa, quietly and in his sleep; not like the passengers in his car, they were all panicking and screaming.

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » December 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm

Facebook has 2 qualities that sort of promote the flirting/divorce deal. One is that you find old acquaintances there, and many times old flames. Behold, how great a spark a small fire kindleth. Second, like any other means of secretive communication, the mind finds ways of exploiting it. So, FB is not guilty of being anything bad but it gets used by opportunists looking for love in all the wrong places. Kind of like a no-tell motel can be.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

dalebert
Woohoo!

Postby dalebert » December 24th, 2009, 6:17 am

I think that FB should be added to the "29 Teachings"....so we dont sin!

ImaPK
-= J2 =-

Postby ImaPK » December 24th, 2009, 9:00 am

dalebert wrote:

Now wait a minute :shock: I sin as much on FB as I do on J2. :lol:
People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. Author Unknown.

one love
Woohoo!

Postby one love » December 24th, 2009, 11:30 am

ImaPK wrote:
dalebert wrote:

Now wait a minute :shock: I sin as much on FB as I do on J2. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FB has become a outlet to temp people to cheat. A temptation that may or may not have been there otherwise. Is it FB's fault? NO
However you do come in contact with many old relationships that you would most likely never have heard from again. People just need to use wisdom oin sites like this. I love FB and it does not bother me a bit.

PastorP
Hall Of Fame

Re: Facebook cited in 20% of divorces this year

Postby PastorP » December 24th, 2009, 2:38 pm

DeWayneTN wrote:Interesting article. I think someone on here has spoken about the need to guard yourself on there, so I thought you'd want to take a look at this:

Interesting, but I am on Facebook, my wife and I celebrated our 44th anniversary this past Friday.
PastorP
Proverbs 3:6 (MSG) Listen for GOD's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track.

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”