Fellow Confederates

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

klc
Frequent Flyer

Postby klc » August 24th, 2008, 6:34 pm

I'd like to know where Kentucky is too, since that is where I was born.
" The world see's what we do, God see's why we do them "

Linda
Hey, hey, hey

Postby Linda » August 24th, 2008, 6:42 pm

Ilovebigcats wrote:Wow. That got ugly fast.

It sure did! And I was going to tell how good my grandpapy treated all his slaves! jk...so please don't attack!

I had a history teacher in high school that when the class was over each day he would yell... "The South's goin' rise again"! I'm still waiting... :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Linda

Poimen
What's next?

Postby Poimen » August 24th, 2008, 7:13 pm

Several states, like Kentucky, never formally left the union, and some were by military force restrained from being able to legally secede. Nevertheless, much of the common man in those "border" states and claimed Confederate territories were definitely opposed to the War of Northern Aggression and were in heart and spirit fellow Confederates.

An old Bospehus title, I think accurate despite the negative association attached to Him, sums it up well -- "If the South Would've Won We'd of Had it Made."

Yes, we lost the war. And our nation and people are to do this day occupied by and absorbed within the federal Union -- a nation within a nation, a people, within a people. :D 8)
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

"I wish a buck was still silver, it was back when the country was strong." -- The Hag

Poimen
What's next?

Postby Poimen » August 24th, 2008, 7:26 pm

Jennifer Smith wrote:
Gerald Creasy wrote:FACT: The Lincoln government paid enough for the war they could have purchased every slave in the entire continental United States TWICE.

And that would've ended slavery?

Hypothetically, yes. However, this statement does more to underscore the glaring fact that the war was motivated by something other than the issue of whether to retain or permit the continuation of the institution of slavery. Nevertheless, the South itself was for ending the slave trade. Slavery as an institution continued therein in the slaves already existing and their offspring. If the Union would have simply purchased them all then slavery in the South would have effectively been ended.

There is no denying slavery was a core cause for the Civil war -- but only as a face or symptom of the division between federalists and confederates, etc.

I have been known to both fly and wear the stars and bars.

And what do you think that says to your black neighbors and brothers and sisters? Does it mean the same thing to them as it does to you?

Which ones? The ones that also proudly waive the Battle Flag? the Ones who are descendants of black confederate soldiers, and black freed men? The ones in slavery in the Union? The huddle masses kept in the democrat hip pocket through a debilitating welfare system that essentially enslaves the black vote? The one's manipulated, abused, deceived, and exploited by the likes of the NAACP of today?

What is the purpose of this thread again?

So that I could know who was and was not confederate by birth, residence, and "heart." :)
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

"I wish a buck was still silver, it was back when the country was strong." -- The Hag

EagerBeaver
--== J2 ==--

Postby EagerBeaver » August 24th, 2008, 9:20 pm

I just have a hard time fathoming that an event that ended on paper 143 years ago still drives a subculture here in America that people become all too engrossed in.

We're all Americans folks.
Chris Brewer - My Website

Poimen
What's next?

Postby Poimen » August 24th, 2008, 10:07 pm

We are all Americans. We are not all Confederate Americans.

It is indeed ironic that on the pretense of liberation and emancipation of an enslaved people a sovereign nation and it's free people were enslaved and wrongfully occupied, though treated nicely by their federal masters.

Slavery, as practiced in America, was wrong both North and South of the Mason Dixon line. However, please consider the following quotes, and weigh them accordingly.

"As for the South, it is enough to say that perhaps eighty per cent. of her armies were neither slave-holders, nor had the remotest interest in the institution. No other proof, however, is needed than the undeniable fact that at any period of the war from its beginning to near its close the South could have saved slavery by simply laying down its arms and returning to the Union."
--- Major General John B. Gordon, from his book, Causes of the Civil War.

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause."
--- The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume V, "Letter to Horace Greeley" (August 22, 1862), p. 388.

"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."
--- The Declaration of Independence
Last edited by Poimen on August 29th, 2008, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

Shellie
Site Admin

Postby Shellie » August 25th, 2008, 1:10 am

And yet again, by some of the answers here, we see a classic example of the erroneous belief that Southern pride always equates racism and ignorance.

Being proud to be from the South does NOT, PLEASE FOLLOW ME, DOES NOT ALWAYS equate racism.

Would anybody care to discuss how many slaves the NORTHERN GENERALS AND PEOPLES OWNED? Yes, slavery was a main issue. It was not THE issue.

However, I do not fly or wear the stars and bars for fear of offense to my brothers, sisters, and friends.

I am not proud that ANY American or any other people owned slaves. It is a blight on humans the world round.

It seems funny to me that "Southerners" are the "small-minded" and predjudiced because they have pride in their war veterens and heritage, yet people who see all southern proud people as racist without ever really hearing what they are saying are blinded to their own small-mindedness and prejudice.

With that, I'm out of this thread, because some people just can't see past their own eyes.

Oh....any by the way, I'm from Kentucky.
There never was a horse that couldn't be rode and there never was a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

Mike Vande
I like flapjacks.

Postby Mike Vande » August 25th, 2008, 2:08 am

paul wrote:From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The Confederate States of America (CSA, also known as the Confederacy) was the confederacy formed by the southern states that seceded from the United States during the period of the American Civil War. The 11 states of the Confederacy were Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.

Where is Kentucky ??

Consider the source. Wikipedia is only as accurate as the people who contribute to it, and that leaves room for much error. Oh, and the states named above didn't secede, they ATTEMPTED to secede, and were prevented from it by force of arms. Another inaccuracy...

When I was a kid, I heard folks say "save yo' Confederate money, the South will rise again!" It was a joke then, and it's a joke now, just not very funny. Just as many men men died in the Civil War fighting to preserve the Union as to dissolve it. They kept this nation from becoming a poor imitation of Europe, and thereby made the eventual economic defeat of Communism by Capitalism possible. Divided, this nation would never have become the economic power it is. or at least was till we started throwing our money at Arabs for oil.
Why is it that bad decisions seem to make to most interesting testimonies?

Gerald Creasy

Postby Gerald Creasy » August 25th, 2008, 2:24 am

Kentucky, folks was a micocosm of the entire nation.

"The Confederate government of Kentucky was a shadow government established for the Commonwealth of Kentucky by a self-constituted group of Southern sympathizers during the American Civil War. The shadow government never replaced the elected government in Frankfort, which had strong Union sympathies. The government was recognized by the Confederate States of America, and Kentucky was admitted to the Confederacy on December 10, 1861. Kentucky was represented by the central star on the Confederate battle flag."

Kentucky had representatives in both Washington and Richmond.

RE Old Arguement: You lose Poimen

Gerald Creasy

Postby Gerald Creasy » August 25th, 2008, 2:37 am

Jennifer Smith wrote:And what do you think that says to your black neighbors and brothers and sisters? Does it mean the same thing to them as it does to you?

You tell me, sister.

In defense of his Confederate pride Nelson Winbush is intent on defending the flag of his grandfather. It's just surprising which flag that is.
Nelson W. Winbush, 78, of Kissimmee stands in front of the Confederate battle flag that was draped over his grandfather's coffin in 1934.

Louis Napoleon Nelson poses with grandson Nelson W. Winbush at the Memphis train station in 1932 before leaving to attend a Confederate reunion celebration.

There are an increasing number of African AMericans turning up in Confederate uniform at Re-enactments and becoming members of the SCV.

Is so easy to argue from ignorance. Isnt it?

one love
Woohoo!

Postby one love » August 25th, 2008, 3:18 am

edit
Last edited by one love on August 25th, 2008, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gerald Creasy

Postby Gerald Creasy » August 25th, 2008, 3:24 am

one love wrote:Yes I am from Virginia and understand history.

Sell out.

one love
Woohoo!

Postby one love » August 25th, 2008, 3:26 am

edit
Last edited by one love on August 25th, 2008, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soulsearcher
What's next?

Postby soulsearcher » August 25th, 2008, 3:48 am

The South doesn't need to "rise again," since it never died, but indeed thrives. It is alive and well. Glory, Glory, Hallelujah!

one love
Woohoo!

Postby one love » August 25th, 2008, 3:58 am

edit
Last edited by one love on August 25th, 2008, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”