Daddy's Last Sermon

Ideas, trends, staff needs, equipment... all the things related to church leadership, pastoring and operations. (Combining the contents of several older forums.)

Moderators: Pastor Gary, Jennifer Smith, Billy n NC, justsam, pastorables, darylscook

Kenya

Daddy's Last Sermon

Postby Kenya » November 18th, 2004, 2:25 am

This is the message God gave to my dad the day before he died. Some have said that he preached his own funeral. Others have said it changed their lives. You can witness that "miraculous strength" that he was given - sometimes only in the pulpit - the last year of his ministry. We have given out 320 of these sermon tapes and have had to order more because many are wanting to share them with friends. His ministry continues even after his death. He would have wanted it that way.

http://www.newlifecogop.com/01%20Track%201.wma
Kenya

I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing! Galatians 2:21

http://www.somersetcommunitymission.com

MrDanger
I like flapjacks.

Postby MrDanger » November 18th, 2004, 6:43 am

Excellent sermon! John blew me away once again. It will be a cherished item for me. My brother in law has listened to it several times. Awesome.
"Students are encouraged to mingle with the midgets." - Mr. Jones' 1st Block Class

Joey
Da Bomb!

Postby Joey » November 18th, 2004, 8:13 am

The server from our church web site ( http://www.newlifecogop.com ) is being overwhelmed with requests for the message....so it may act up for a while. Please be patient as you try to download it to hear it... You may even have to come back later. Sorry. :oops:

Gerald Creasy

Postby Gerald Creasy » November 18th, 2004, 12:37 pm

Thank y'all so much. I have all the messages saved on my harddrive.

What a pleasure to have such an example of true faith.

THE RAzEr
1100 Dalmatians

Postby THE RAzEr » November 25th, 2004, 3:59 am

I did not know your father had wnt to heaven. he was a man which will be missed here on Earth. may god bless all of you,

Ray

THE RAzEr

Hinn may lay an egg, a Dollar may not be worth two cents, ERekA might be a Star in a Top Hat, Copeland-Hagin may be like a can of snuff in some rich dude's back pocket, but I'm still Pentecostal to the bone.

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Heard it, shared it

Postby Pastor Gary » November 25th, 2004, 8:24 am

Several times I had tried to get the message and had tech problems. After Joey changed the link set-up I was able to pull down the RealAudio yesterday and listen.

Amazingly prescient. It was as if this message was the summary of his life's work, stored away for that Sunday, his last to preach. The moment strength flowed into his body for the task made the hair on my arms stand up -- I could vicariously "feel" what he must have felt.

I passed it along to my Regional Overseer, and he asked if Pastor Silvers ever worked in Texas? Thought he remembered him from there...
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Sherry

Re: Heard it, shared it

Postby Sherry » November 25th, 2004, 9:24 am

Pastor Gary wrote:Several times I had tried to get the message and had tech problems. After Joey changed the link set-up I was able to pull down the RealAudio yesterday and listen.

Amazingly prescient. It was as if this message was the summary of his life's work, stored away for that Sunday, his last to preach. The moment strength flowed into his body for the task made the hair on my arms stand up -- I could vicariously "feel" what he must have felt.

I passed it along to my Regional Overseer, and he asked if Pastor Silvers ever worked in Texas? Thought he remembered him from there...

Not Joey or Kenya, but I am at the in-laws and they had done a history of West Texas churches a while back for the State Convention in 2003.....since Bro. Silvers was State Overseer of West Texas at one time they had some info on him....here's some of what they had:

Leo. Silvers
1941-1951

Bro. Silvers became a Bishop in the Church of God on August 1, 1940. In the Assembly of 1941, he was appointed for the second time as State Overseer of West Texas. During this stay, churches were established in Ranger in 1946; Post on May Street in 1947; Morton in 1949; and Snyder in 1950. Also during this time, he pastored at Post, Sudan, Sanford, Borger, Sweetwater, Ranger, San Angelo, and Natalia.

Bro. and Sis. Silvers had a great love for West Texas and it's people, and were greatly loved in return. They retired in Sweetwater, Texas and lived there until Sis. Silvers death in 1978. Bro. Silver's then moved back to Somerset, Kentucky to be near the rest of his family. Bro. Silvers was not able in hos last years to be as active as he once was, but he never stopped telling people about the love of God and their need for accepting Jesus as the Saviour. In one of the last State Conventions he attended in West Texas, he sang, "I Feel Like Traveling On," a song he was well known for singing, and God blessed the whole congregation.

Bishop Leo E. Silvers departed this life to be with the Lord on July 3, 1979.

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Bishop Silvers

Postby Pastor Gary » November 25th, 2004, 10:35 am

YellowRoseTX wrote:Leo. Silvers
1941-1951
Bishop Leo E. Silvers departed this life to be with the Lord on July 3, 1979.

May I assume from the dates that this might be Kenya's paternal grandfather? Not sure.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Sherry

Postby Sherry » November 25th, 2004, 10:46 am

I do believe it is. My in-laws did remember the name when I was talking about Kenya's father and how Joey has been a blessing in helping us with information regarding Georgia.... anyway, that's what brought up the subject of the history here. Coincidence you asked that question on here. :D

Kenya

Postby Kenya » November 26th, 2004, 2:20 am

Sorry I missed this discussion. Leo was my Grandfather's brother. My great uncle. My Grandfather lives here in Somerset with my Grandmother who has Alzheimer's disease.

I am so glad many of you have listened to his last message. I have heard several testimonies of how Daddy's life and death have touched many, many lives. It was the reason he lived..and died...to bring Glory to the Father. I feel so very privileged to have been his daughter.
Kenya

I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing! Galatians 2:21

THE RAzEr
1100 Dalmatians

Postby THE RAzEr » November 26th, 2004, 8:06 pm

Your Dad and I spent about thirty minutes or so talking together at the assembly. This was very memorable to me, especially since I only spent about two hours there. He seemed to be strong. I was thankful to see him that way. I liked your Dad alot. He was a strenght to me in a time when I needed strength. The same with other members of your family many years past.

Ray

THE RAzEr

Hinn may lay an egg, a Dollar may not be worth two cents, ERekA might be a Star in a Top Hat, Copeland-Hagin may be like a can of snuff in some rich dude's back pocket, but I'm still Pentecostal to the bone.

doris
1100 Dalmatians

Postby doris » November 30th, 2004, 5:37 pm

I got the transcript today, and read it over and over. I already treasure it. I love the part where the strength of God comes over him. Thank you for sharing the love of this great man. I pray blessings for you, and lots of peace. And thank you (my) Joey for taking care of and loving Kenya!
doris

I am Blessed & Highly Favored

stevenson
I can see clearly now!

Postby stevenson » December 12th, 2004, 3:01 am

Kenya, do you know a Louis & Rhonda Solar? Last I knew they were going to a COGOP in Somerset, Ky.

Kenya

Postby Kenya » December 13th, 2004, 3:48 am

Yes, I do. Are they friends of yours?
Kenya

Return to “Preacher/Teacher Pages”