Bivocational Minister/Small Church Pastor - Question

Ideas, trends, staff needs, equipment... all the things related to church leadership, pastoring and operations. (Combining the contents of several older forums.)

Moderators: Pastor Gary, Jennifer Smith, Billy n NC, justsam, pastorables, darylscook

JustifiedbyGrace
Newcomer

Bivocational Minister/Small Church Pastor - Question

Postby JustifiedbyGrace » September 22nd, 2007, 4:34 am

As the pastor of a small church or as a bivocational minister, how could an assistant help you serve your church more efficiently?

Be specific!

Thanks!
JustifiedbyGrace

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith.

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Pastor Bill » September 24th, 2007, 3:33 am

In every way possible!

The biggest stress on a Bi-vocational pastor is time. There is so much we want to do, we should do, and we are called to do as a pastor, but time just doesn't permit everything to fit. This can be a stress on you and your whole family (very important to specifically carve out some time for family, otherwise it's them that will get overlooked, and that's not good).

A GOOD associate pastor who is dedicated to the ministry and working along side you can double the time spent on ministry without killing you or your family, but it has to be someone who will work WITH you, and you can trust fill the role as pastor when you are not available.

Now if you are speaking of more an administrative assistant, That's harder to say, if it's only in the paperwork and "business" end of the church that could be a help if that is tying you down, but you have to be careful that you aren't spending just as much time getting the information to the person, and proofing it as you would just doing it yourself. This probably depends mainly on how much administrative work you are doing.
"Why would God allow Hitler his chapter in history? Why would God send a whale to swallow Jonah or turn a woman into a pillar of salt? Surely there were other ways. But I'll leave the particular methods of God to God."
-Spoken by David Abraham, Showdown by Ted Dekker

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » January 26th, 2008, 5:50 pm

I would agree with Bill on this. Family time is crucial and is overlooked by a pastor of a small or new work many times. Having an assistant that is respected by the congregation can be a plus. Of course this position would most likely be volunteer only and one should felt called to do so. Odds are little preaching would be involved but hospital visits and in home visits may be a guarantee. Things like opening up, cleaning up, errands, and closing up the church could be very helpful.
Last I pastored I was picking up one person each and every Sunday and taking them back home afterwards. If my family wanted to eat out I either had to include this person, which I did often at my own expense, or feel a little bad about taking them straight home. it was awkward at times. An assistant could have really helped out here. A small church is a hard thing to do. In fact I'd swap jobs with the pastor of a large church anytime.
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

x100

Postby Pastor Gary » January 26th, 2008, 6:36 pm

Full Quiver wrote:In fact I'd swap jobs with the pastor of a large church anytime.

I am not exactly pastoring a large church, but I currently lead a ministry to about 200+/- and the time demands and problems are the same as a church of 30 or 40, X100. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have really great volunteers and associate pastors, but the demands upon my time have grown, not diminished.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

PastorEddie
Frequent Flyer

Postby PastorEddie » December 5th, 2008, 5:42 am

I concur with Bro. Gary The time restraints are very formidible and associate pastors and lay leaders are very helpful especially if they are comfortable in that position.

I Pastor a church that runs a little above 100 and I have three associate pastors and the music is strictly volunteer. I have pastored a church where I have only 10-40 people and was working and the Lord sent me two very dedicated ministers to help and we grew. The first Sunday I was there at the smaller church I taught the Sunday school lesson,lead singing, and then preached to ten people.Four was my family.

I was exhausted at times but God gave me the help I needed.
How Great is our God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rev rick
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...

Re: Bivocational Minister/Small Church Pastor - Question

Postby rev rick » December 6th, 2008, 4:07 pm

JustifiedbyGrace wrote:As the pastor of a small church or as a bivocational minister, how could an assistant help you serve your church more efficiently?

Be specific!

Thanks!

Are you looking to help ? Want to move? PM me if you do.
IN CHRIST MERCY and GRACE
Rev Rick in the Zoo

~~~~~~\} Sword of the Spirit
@##### ]:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
~~~~~~/]Use it Daily!

Return to “Preacher/Teacher Pages”