POPCORN BALLS

Who needs Paula Dean and Rachel Ray? We've got our own award-winning cooks right here at Jude 2.

Moderators: Sherry, The J2 Mod Squad

Carlene Prince
Needs a LIFE

POPCORN BALLS

Postby Carlene Prince » October 31st, 2008, 8:53 am

Does anyone have a recipe for POPCORN BALLS?

I would love to make them for my girls.
Carlene

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Pastor Bill » October 31st, 2008, 9:19 am

My Mom had one, I'll have to look into it. I used to make them while I babysat the little boy next door, we'd make (and eat) popcorn balls often when I was watching him, so it must have been an easy recipe.
"Why would God allow Hitler his chapter in history? Why would God send a whale to swallow Jonah or turn a woman into a pillar of salt? Surely there were other ways. But I'll leave the particular methods of God to God."
-Spoken by David Abraham, Showdown by Ted Dekker

mavislb
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...

My favorite

Postby mavislb » November 1st, 2008, 10:21 am

Jell-O Popcorn Balls

1 cup light corn syrup
1 small box any flavor gelatin
1 cup granulated sugar

For varied colors, use different colors of gelatin. Bring corn syrup, sugar and gelatin to a boil. Pour over 4 quarts of popcorn and mix well. Form into balls.

Jennifer Smith

Postby Jennifer Smith » November 1st, 2008, 5:26 pm

I love popcorn balls, they remind me of Christmas... :)
..I press on to take hold of that
for which Christ took hold of me.
-Phil 3:12

TW
Established Member

Postby TW » November 1st, 2008, 6:12 pm

A long. long time ago (the 1950s), in a land far, far away (Miami), my mother would make popcorn snowmen every Christmas for my brothers and sister, and myself to take to school. She would make three different sized balls, stack them on top of each other, raisins became the lumps of coal that were the eyes mouth and buttons, and an ice cream cone (the kind with a flat bottom) and card board disk made from an index card would become his hat. I was young at that time, and didn't spend much time in the kitchen (except to eat) and I don't recall her using the jello, but I remember the white Karo syrup and sugar that glued everything together, I think she also used a wooden dowel to keep the balls in line with each other.

TW
Anglo-Saxon Proto-English Manuscripts (995 AD): “God lufode middan-eard swa, dat he seade his an-cennedan sunu, dat nan ne forweorde de on hine gely ac habbe dat ece lif."

My blog - http://theoldman.wordpress.com/

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » November 1st, 2008, 6:25 pm

I have never understood the defiling of popcorn by wanting to put anything other than butter and salt on it.
Let the wild rumpus start!

TW
Established Member

Postby TW » November 1st, 2008, 7:54 pm

Paully_44 wrote:I have never understood the defiling of popcorn by wanting to put anything other than butter and salt on it.

WHAT???? Do you have something against Cracker Jacks? That is un-American. Popcorn-caramel-peanuts, not to mention a free toy! :lol:

TW
Anglo-Saxon Proto-English Manuscripts (995 AD): “God lufode middan-eard swa, dat he seade his an-cennedan sunu, dat nan ne forweorde de on hine gely ac habbe dat ece lif."

mavislb
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...

Postby mavislb » November 2nd, 2008, 3:26 am

Doesn't make a ball, but I also like to make white chocolate peanut butter popcorn.

1 pkg white almond bark
1-2 cups smooth peanut butter (depends on taste-I don't measure)
10 or so cups plain pop corn (use an air popper so you don't have salt, butter, etc.)
1 small bag miniature pretzels (twisted or sticks)
1 jar dry roasted peanuts

Melt almond bark and peanut butter together and pour over mixture of popcorn, pretzels and peanuts. Store in an air tight container. Keeps a couple of days.

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » November 2nd, 2008, 4:45 am

TW wrote:
Paully_44 wrote:I have never understood the defiling of popcorn by wanting to put anything other than butter and salt on it.

WHAT???? Do you have something against Cracker Jacks? That is un-American. Popcorn-caramel-peanuts, not to mention a free toy! :lol:

TW

nope, other than the carmel and peanuts.
Let the wild rumpus start!

rjc
I can see clearly now!

Postby rjc » November 2nd, 2008, 1:51 pm

I have a lot of Momma's receipes and I will see if her popcorn balls are in them. I think she originally got it from a bottle of white Karo syrup. TW and I knew it was really Christmas time when we got the popcorn snowmen.
rjc

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

TW
Established Member

Postby TW » November 2nd, 2008, 2:29 pm

rjc wrote:I have a lot of Momma's receipes and I will see if her popcorn balls are in them. I think she originally got it from a bottle of white Karo syrup. TW and I knew it was really Christmas time when we got the popcorn snowmen.

That and the Fruit Cakes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

TW

rjc
I can see clearly now!

Postby rjc » November 4th, 2008, 1:02 pm

TW wrote:
rjc wrote:I have a lot of Momma's receipes and I will see if her popcorn balls are in them. I think she originally got it from a bottle of white Karo syrup. TW and I knew it was really Christmas time when we got the popcorn snowmen.

That and the Fruit Cakes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

TW

Be careful, I have the receipe, to be honest this is a great receipe because it is a homemade applesauce cake with the fruit mixed into the batter but it needs to be made before Thanksgiving so it can age. I love it but it takes a lot of work and the friut is not cheap. When my brothers were in the service we always sent them the fruit cake and also peanut butter cookies. Momma and I would spend the whole day baking, it brings back a lot of great memories.
rjc

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

rjc
I can see clearly now!

Postby rjc » November 4th, 2008, 2:12 pm

I found Momma's receipe for Popcorn Balls, now I am going to have to make some. :lol:

POPCORN BALLS

3 quarts of popped corn – unsalted and unbuttered
2 cups of Karo light corn syrup
1 tablespoon white vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla

Put the popcorn in large greased oven proof bowl and keep warm in a 250° oven.
Combine the syrup, vinegar and salt in a heavy 3 quart pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the syrup reaches the hard-ball stage (250°F). Remove from the heat and add the vanilla. Slowly our the syrup over the popcorn, tossing with a grease fork until it is well distributed. As soon as the mixture is cool enough to handle quickly shape into 3 inch balls. Let them stand on waxed paper until they are cool and no longer sticky. Wrap h ball in plastic wrap and store at room temperature.

To make snowmen, for 3 different size balls and stack them up starting with the largest. Momma always used toothpicks to hold them together but I always used small pretzel sticks. You can decorate them with gumdrops (cut out shapes for eyes, mouth and nose) if you want just remember to work quickly before they start to cool too much. I also keep the bowl in the oven to keep mixture warm.
rjc

Return to “Broad Backsides Recipe Forum”