My Top Ten

Take me out to the ball game! Basketball, baseball, football...Oh my!

Moderator: The J2 Mod Squad

Rob
Hey, hey, hey

My Top Ten

Postby Rob » October 6th, 2012, 6:09 pm

1 - Alabama - still undefeated. They have some injuries but we will see how the do moving forward. I think they will be fine till the SEC championship game

2 - Oregon - they are a scoring machine. Let's see what they do moving forward in a weak conference.

3 - South Carolina - the Ole Ball Coach has a team to reckon with. Their defense is for real Lattimore maybe the best back ever at USC.

4 - West Virginia - the defense is still a question mark but got the stops when they needed them. Geno is looking like a legit Heisman contender.

5 - Florida - I did not think they were that good but they looked good against LSU or maybe the Tigers are not as good as I thought.

6 - Kansas St. Can't wait till they play WVU should be a great game.

7 - The Ohio State University - they are playing their bowl game every week and doing quite well. However why is no one talking about the Big Ten like they are the Big XII with the numbers they are putting up.

8. Notre Dame - come on Stanford knock them off.

9. Oregon St. Don't look now but the beavers are making some noise out west. Undefeated as well.

10 - Louisville - simply because they are undefeated and giving a little love to the Big East.

Now I hope you SEC guys will take off those glasses and realize there are some good teams outside the SEC.
If I were to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for business. I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right will make no difference." -Abraham Lincoln

dolfan
Established Member

Re: My Top Ten

Postby dolfan » October 8th, 2012, 9:20 am

1. Oregon
2. Alabama
3. S. Carolina. I only put them here because they are undefeated. I, for one, don't think they'll stay that way. They have to play LSU and Florida back to back and both away. They look good, but they have been spotty good --- like Bama has been.
4. W. Va./Florida (tie). Florida's defense has been much better than I expected them to be. They sure shut down LSU. W. Va. has no defense at all. They are high powered, alright, but could they do that against a team like, oh, Bama/LSU/Florida or S. Carolina? I don't think so. But, because I could be wrong, I won't rank them below Florida, either. Tie.
6. Ohio State. I don't like the guy, but Urban Meyer is Urban Meyer. He is a fantastic coach, when he's on his meds.
7. Kansas State. Making mincemeat of people. The best team in the Big XII other than W. Va. I'm with Rob -- that game oughta be a shootout. I'm not like Rob on this --- I don't think it'll be a fun game. Too much offense, no defense.
8. LSU -- still better than Notre Dame.
9. Oklahoma -- not impressive, but solid. Would like to see the head to head with K State or WVa.
10. FSU -- Saturday's shocker nothwithstanding, Florida State is one of the 10 best teams in my view. Better than Oregon State (and, look, I'd love to see Oregon State win -- their coach played at Alabama and was a rumored HC for us right before Saban was hired; like I like to see Clemson do well with Dabo Swinney, who played on Bama's '92 NC team and coached here. But I'm also a realist -- FSU is simply better).

Teams in the main polls top 10 that I don't rank in the top 10:

USC -- the coaches rank them, the AP doesn't. After Stanford beat them, and their schedule otherwise not being all that challenging to them ---- which is NOT their fault that other teams aren't good ---- I just remain momentarily unconvinced. Time will tell. I just don't see anyone in that conference getting the best of Oregon, obviously.

Notre Dame -- I will not rank Notre Dame in the top 10 until they beat a team that's ranked in the top 10. They have a chance to prove themselves this week, somewhat, if they beat Stanford. And, they play Oklahoma and USC away. If they win those 3 games, and if those teams they'd beat otherwise maintain a 1-2 loss record overall for the season, and if the Irish otherwise go undefeated, they will probably get a top 3 ranking in the polls and deservedly so. Their schedule is not easy for the rest of the season, on balance. So, I'll give them their due respect if they earn it. So far, their signature win was a close Michigan game. We'll see. I like their coach, but I give them nada until they do the above. It would be insanity the likes of which have never been known in the state of Alabama if, somehow, someway, Alabama and Notre Dame could face off in the BCSCG. Oh, my. I won't let myself imagine it. :)

Oregon State -- the AP writers have them at 10; coaches at 13. I'm Warren Buffet about Facebook stock on Oregon State. "I don't buy what I don't understand, and I don't understand Facebook," said Buffett. Ditto me and Oregon State. Their most impressive win was simply that they did win vs. Wisconsin, a win that in hindsight is not all that impressive this season with a somewhat reeling Badger team. Everyone has played them close. Not really sure just 'what' they are still. Oregon will wipe the field with them, I think. Stranger things have happened.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

Rob
Hey, hey, hey

Postby Rob » October 8th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Okay, Dolfan, here's your chance to call me a homer. Don't know if you watched the WVU/Texas game or not, but I watched it from start to finish. Two of Texas' scores was on Geno fumbles. One they recovered in the End Zone the other was with a short field which put our defense in a bad spot. However, in the second half when WVU needed it they may a couple of key stops. What was impressive to me about the game was all week we heard how tough Texas defense was. But WVU who has been known as a passing team was able to run the ball against effective against Texas.

As for the rest of the top ten I think South Carolina is the real deal. Offensively the run the ball very well and the QB play has been very good. Defensively they are incredible, and listen they will win this weekend in Death Valley.

Florida will lose at least 2 games to both Georgia and South Carolina. They stuggle to score and that showed against LSU and Bowling Green.
If I were to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for business. I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right will make no difference." -Abraham Lincoln

Paully_44
Established Member

Re: My Top Ten

Postby Paully_44 » October 17th, 2012, 10:16 am

dolfan wrote:Notre Dame -- I will not rank Notre Dame in the top 10 until they beat a team that's ranked in the top 10.

They shouldnt be "rankable" until they join an conference for their football program.
Let the wild rumpus start!

Return to “Sports...By Popular Demand”