3. S. Carolina. I only put them here because they are undefeated. I, for one, don't think they'll stay that way. They have to play LSU and Florida back to back and both away. They look good, but they have been spotty good --- like Bama has been.
4. W. Va./Florida (tie). Florida's defense has been much better than I expected them to be. They sure shut down LSU. W. Va. has no defense at all. They are high powered, alright, but could they do that against a team like, oh, Bama/LSU/Florida or S. Carolina? I don't think so. But, because I could be wrong, I won't rank them below Florida, either. Tie.
6. Ohio State. I don't like the guy, but Urban Meyer is Urban Meyer. He is a fantastic coach, when he's on his meds.
7. Kansas State. Making mincemeat of people. The best team in the Big XII other than W. Va. I'm with Rob -- that game oughta be a shootout. I'm not like Rob on this --- I don't think it'll be a fun game. Too much offense, no defense.
8. LSU -- still better than Notre Dame.
9. Oklahoma -- not impressive, but solid. Would like to see the head to head with K State or WVa.
10. FSU -- Saturday's shocker nothwithstanding, Florida State is one of the 10 best teams in my view. Better than Oregon State (and, look, I'd love to see Oregon State win -- their coach played at Alabama and was a rumored HC for us right before Saban was hired; like I like to see Clemson do well with Dabo Swinney, who played on Bama's '92 NC team and coached here. But I'm also a realist -- FSU is simply better).
Teams in the main polls top 10 that I don't rank in the top 10:
USC -- the coaches rank them, the AP doesn't. After Stanford beat them, and their schedule otherwise not being all that challenging to them ---- which is NOT their fault that other teams aren't good ---- I just remain momentarily unconvinced. Time will tell. I just don't see anyone in that conference getting the best of Oregon, obviously.
Notre Dame -- I will not rank Notre Dame in the top 10 until they beat a team that's ranked in the top 10. They have a chance to prove themselves this week, somewhat, if they beat Stanford. And, they play Oklahoma and USC away. If they win those 3 games, and if those teams they'd beat otherwise maintain a 1-2 loss record overall for the season, and if the Irish otherwise go undefeated, they will probably get a top 3 ranking in the polls and deservedly so. Their schedule is not easy for the rest of the season, on balance. So, I'll give them their due respect if they earn it. So far, their signature win was a close Michigan game. We'll see. I like their coach, but I give them nada until they do the above. It would be insanity the likes of which have never been known in the state of Alabama if, somehow, someway, Alabama and Notre Dame could face off in the BCSCG. Oh, my. I won't let myself imagine it.
Oregon State -- the AP writers have them at 10; coaches at 13. I'm Warren Buffet about Facebook stock on Oregon State. "I don't buy what I don't understand, and I don't understand Facebook," said Buffett. Ditto me and Oregon State. Their most impressive win was simply that they did win vs. Wisconsin, a win that in hindsight is not all that impressive this season with a somewhat reeling Badger team. Everyone has played them close. Not really sure just 'what' they are still. Oregon will wipe the field with them, I think. Stranger things have happened.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).