Rob's Top Ten

Take me out to the ball game! Basketball, baseball, football...Oh my!

Moderator: The J2 Mod Squad

Rob
Hey, hey, hey

Rob's Top Ten

Postby Rob » November 28th, 2010, 4:16 pm

The last weekend in November and only one weekend left of College football. Man this season has gone fast. And oh yea by the way, I'm so thankful I didn't drink all that blue kool-aid a lot of folks have been drinking. I find it funny now as I watch the unveiling of the BCS top ten, that everyone was down playing TCU since Boise got beat. What a joke TCU was good till Boise went down. How stupid is that.

Anyway my top ten.

1. Auburn - I have never seen a Nick Saban team fall apart like this one did in the second half. Newton won the Heisman Friday and proved he can beat you with his arm as well as his legs. I think the Ole Ball Coach may have something for Auburn this Saturday in Atlanta.

2. Oregon - The Ducks are for real. I would love to see them and Auburn in the NC game.

3. Wisconsin - Man this team can put up some points, in a hurry too.

4. Stanford - Again Andrew Luck is the complete package at QB and Standford against Wisconsin would be a great game.

5. TCU - I believe someone that sounds a lot like me keep saying that this was the best of the non AQ schools. Hate to blow my own horn but looks like I was right.

6. Ohio St. - Another BCS bowl for the Buckeyes. They may have cost Rich Rod is job, man I can only hope!!!!

7. Michigan St. - I think the Big Ten may have been better this year than in years past.

8. Arkansas - What a job Petrino has done in Little Rock.

9. Oklahoma - Where is Barry and Tom when you need them. Ok and Nebraska for the Big 12 championship. Guess I showed my age just now huh?

10. LSU - The mad hatter final had is bubble to burst.
If I were to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for business. I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right will make no difference." -Abraham Lincoln

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » November 29th, 2010, 6:44 am

Well, I know there's a bowl game lurking out there and I'm glad Alabama will have the extra practices for next year's guys that such an opportunity affords. We didn't live up to expectations this year, but mine were never as high as those of others for this team. We lost a lot defensively, and offensively we have some skill players who (IMO) need another year of college play to develop before they bolt for the pros (namely Ingram and Julio Jones). With or without them, though, I fully expect our team to be improved next year. Our defense grew up in that Auburn game, playing what I thought was the best game against a good team that they played all year. Our OL needs vast improvement. I am hopeful they'll make it. Joe Pendry is a top OL coach, and the line is young. This has been a year of baptism by fire for those guys, and injuries have played some role in getting more of them more experience. So, we'll see.

As for Auburn..... if Cam stays I'll be shocked. But, assuming he goes, they're one and done for sure, IMO. Next year's "better-watch-out-for" teams in the SEC include Tennessee. I think Derek Dooley is going to surpass expectations as he turns that program into his own. I don't see UGA getting better, though, and that's too bad. South Carolina should be in good shape for next season, and as for Florida ----- they'll be back.

I am at the wondering aloud stage whether Bama needs a new OC, or if the OL has just performed that weakly. I think it is the latter, but I do wonder. I like consistency, and I'll trust ol' Nick's judgment without being critical on that. We know he likes consistency, demands it. He's been very complimentary of this team's progress this year even if honest about its lack of leadership. Fans didn't know what a loss we took when guys left last season for graduation or early for the NFL (R. McClain being the biggest loss by a long shot). Now we have a good idea. Nothing like a dose of reality to bring expectations back down to earth. :lol:

It's been another fun one. I love football.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » November 29th, 2010, 6:53 am

About Bama v. Auburn ----

I told my wife when we went up 24-0, "That won't be enough." I fully expected Auburn to win by 2 touchdowns. They had 2 defensive starters out in the first half on suspension. The gaps in their defense were obvious in the 1st quarter. I felt with certainty that we'd not score anymore when they returned; in fact by the end of the second quarter, that was pretty much the story and the 2 suspended AU players were still on the bench.

Our offense has been quite easy to adjust to all year. That happened again on Friday. But, 2 quarters is plenty of time for Cam Newton to inflict some serious harm. Auburn is like Oregon in that they can score a lot of points quickly. And, that's what they did. I was proud of our guys for containing him on the ground (he only had 30 yards rushing). He's just that good, though, that he can beat you with his arm (that and some really broken coverages).

And, Nick Fairley --- as dirty as he is --- played lights out. That guy is a hoss. So, the better squad won that game. It stunned me last week that the Vegas line favored Bama by 4 and all the ESPN guys (most anyway) picked Alabama to win. I told my wife, "We'll need a 35 point lead on them to beat them" before the game ever started. I didn't dream we'd ever get a 24 point lead, but I knew it wouldn't last. I've watched both of these teams play all season. Alabama has never played a full game and Auburn has not been able let itself stay in a hole for long.

But, we'll get 'em next year.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

Pastorbps
Whoa!!
Whoa!!

Postby Pastorbps » November 29th, 2010, 8:47 am

Alright I'm ready to take my beating over Boise's loss. What a heartbreak for a team who hadn't lost in two years. Rob said Oregon had a down game against Cal. This week Boise had their down game and unfortunately it was against a decent team on their home field on senior day. Yet, if their kicker can kick what amounts to an extra point, we don't have this conversation. Having said that, they did lose and therefore shouldn't be #1 any longer. I still think they can beat anyone in the country. Here is my new Top 10.

1. Auburn - They have played the toughest schedule (BY FAR) and yet they are still undefeated. They probably won't beat SC this week but if they do, they are clearly #1. I still think they aren't as good as their record. What is a shame is that we will know nothing about Oregon even if they play Auburn because I'm not sure how good Auburn really is. I also don't know how Auburn's defense would handle Oregon's style. They really haven't played anyone like them this year. Closest style to them in the SEC is Florida and Auburn didn't play them.
2. TCU - I honestly don't know where TCU ranks as far as who the best teams are but they are undefeated and well balanced. If they play Oregon, they will probably win. They won't be dazzled by the spread of Oregon. They play that type of team in Utah and look what they did to them.
3. Boise - Still keeping them third. If Rob can put a 2 loss team above a 1 loss team, I can put a 1 loss team over an undefeated team.
4. Wisconsin - A LOT better than I thought they were. A trick play away from being undefeated.
5. Ohio State - Pretty good 1 loss team.
6. Oregon - Jokey Smurfs. I am not drinking the GREEN Kool Aid until they play a good team. I am really not a PAC 10 hater. I just think their conference is WAY down this year.
7. Stanford - Pretty good 1 loss team but haven't played anyone either.
8. Arkansas - Probably playing the best football in the country right now.
9. South Carolina - I predict they will be the SEC champions. Possible National Champions next year.
10. Oklahoma - Good team who lost a couple of dumb games.

One final thing. I started out digging at people over Boise but came to appreciate their talent. Did you see how accurate their quarterback is? I know we have a disagreement about where they belong but SURELY you guys agree this team doesn't belong in the HUMANITARIAN Bowl. I personally think they still belong as an At Large BCS team but tragically they won't get it. Too bad. We still won't know anything about them if they play someone like Utah. As far as them playing Satan's team, I tried to get that to happen but Oregon will probably be busy playing in the National Championship game.

ImaPK
-= J2 =-

Postby ImaPK » December 6th, 2010, 7:45 am

TCU should be making a BCS Bowl every year now that they are going to the Big Easy...er...Big East! :lol:
People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. Author Unknown.

Return to “Sports...By Popular Demand”