Rob's Top Ten

Take me out to the ball game! Basketball, baseball, football...Oh my!

Moderator: The J2 Mod Squad

Rob
Hey, hey, hey

Rob's Top Ten

Postby Rob » October 31st, 2010, 11:22 am

Okay this is not trick and I'm not going to treat anyone, but here's my Top Ten for this week.

1. Oregon - I am impressed with this team. I think they run the table the rest of the way and will play in the NC game.

2. Auburn - Wow, this team looks good and if they can continue to simply out score the oppostion they will play for the NC.

3. Alabama - The Iron bowl will be for the SEC West Champion and with winner will play for the SEC Championship and play in the NC game.

4. Utah - The winner of the Utah/TCU game will play in a BCS game.

5. TCU - Read above.

6. Wisconsin - They should be the Big Ten Champion and play in the Rose Bowl.

7. Nebraska - How did this team lose to Texas? Should be undefeated.

8. Ohio St. - They are playing well, and I think BCS bowl worthy.

9. Boise St. - I'm afraid this team will continue to fall in the rankings because of the level of competion they play.

10. Oklahoma - Will play Nebraska for the Big 12 Champioinship and a place in a BCS bowl.
If I were to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for business. I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right will make no difference." -Abraham Lincoln

Paully_44
Established Member

Re: Rob's Top Ten

Postby Paully_44 » October 31st, 2010, 6:12 pm

Rob wrote:Okay this is not trick and I'm not going to treat anyone, but here's my Top Ten for this week.

1. Oregon - I am impressed with this team. I think they run the table the rest of the way and will play in the NC game.

I cant stand Oregon. as much as it pains me, they are an amazing football team this year. time of possession per scoring drive is something like 1:18 (1 minute:18 seconds).
Let the wild rumpus start!

Rob
Hey, hey, hey

Postby Rob » November 1st, 2010, 4:20 am

Paully, you are so right!!! I think this team would beat Boise by 3-4 touchdowns.
If I were to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for business. I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right will make no difference." -Abraham Lincoln

Pastorbps
Whoa!!
Whoa!!

Postby Pastorbps » November 1st, 2010, 6:03 pm

You think Oregon would beat Boise by 3-4 touchdowns. What we know is they played 1 year ago and they lost to Boise 19-7. Boise returned 20 starters and haven't lost yet. Until Oregon does it on the field, Oregon is behind Boise. Speaking of "Who have they beaten," who has Oregon beaten? Oregon beat Tennessee, the last place team in the SEC and they struggled with them in the first half. Other than that their wins are against the PAC 10 who aren't worth a flip. Everyone is impressed because they beat USC. Big deal! USC's 2 big out of conference wins were over MINNESOTA (Last in the Big 10) by 11 and VIRGINIA (One of the worst in the ACC) by 3. USC lost to Washington who lost to BYU. Oregon beat Stanford whose big out of conference wins are against Notre Dame (Lost to Tulsa last week) and Wake Forest (One of the worst in ACC). They beat Washington State by 20 of course Oklahoma State beat them by 48 and SMU beat them by 24. I repeat the PAC 10 is nothing. Oregon is a poser who will be exposed as soon as they play someone great or someone good from a good conference.

The Real Top 10

1. Boise
2. TCU
3. Auburn
4. Oregon (Only because they're undefeated)
5. Alabama
6. Nebraska
7. Oklahoma
8. Wisconsin
9. Ohio State
10. South Carolina

Rob
Hey, hey, hey

Postby Rob » November 5th, 2010, 1:13 am

Pastorbps wrote:You think Oregon would beat Boise by 3-4 touchdowns. What we know is they played 1 year ago and they lost to Boise 19-7. Boise returned 20 starters and haven't lost yet. Until Oregon does it on the field, Oregon is behind Boise. Speaking of "Who have they beaten," who has Oregon beaten? Oregon beat Tennessee, the last place team in the SEC and they struggled with them in the first half. Other than that their wins are against the PAC 10 who aren't worth a flip. Everyone is impressed because they beat USC. Big deal! USC's 2 big out of conference wins were over MINNESOTA (Last in the Big 10) by 11 and VIRGINIA (One of the worst in the ACC) by 3. USC lost to Washington who lost to BYU. Oregon beat Stanford whose big out of conference wins are against Notre Dame (Lost to Tulsa last week) and Wake Forest (One of the worst in ACC). They beat Washington State by 20 of course Oklahoma State beat them by 48 and SMU beat them by 24. I repeat the PAC 10 is nothing. Oregon is a poser who will be exposed as soon as they play someone great or someone good from a good conference.

The Real Top 10

1. Boise
2. TCU
3. Auburn
4. Oregon (Only because they're undefeated)
5. Alabama
6. Nebraska
7. Oklahoma
8. Wisconsin
9. Ohio State
10. South Carolina

Don't even play the "WHO THEY PLAY CARD! Who has Boise played? Va. Tech that got beat by a dead President that is a 1-AA team at Lane Stadium? Oregon ST.? We will see what happens when they play Oregon. There is no way Boise could stop Auburn with Newton at QB. And Yes this Oregon team is a lot better than last years, and Boise has still not proven a thing to me. Watch them continue to fall as they play the sisters of the poor in their conference. You've already seen TCU jump them in the BCS, and if Utah beats TCU this weekend, Utah will jump them while TCU will fall.

Pastorbps
Whoa!!
Whoa!!

Postby Pastorbps » November 5th, 2010, 3:50 am

My point is, who is the best team. There is no reason to believe Oregon is better than Boise. The ASSUMPTION is that Oregon is much better this year but Boise isn't. Why do people make that assumption? I agree Boise will fall in the polls because of their opponents but my point is, who is the best team. You say Auburn would run all over them. I think you vastly underestimate Boise. I think Boise would be a nightmare for Auburn.
If TCU beats Utah, I'm not sure they are not the best team in the country BUT their last loss was to Boise so I can't jump them especially since it is the same Boise team (personnel wise) as last year. Having said that, do people realize TCU beat Baylor by 5 touchdowns? This is the same Baylor who just beat Texas.
You mentioned Boise's victories over VaTech and Oregon State. Yes Virginia Tech lost to James Madison BUT it was Boise who broke their will. They were all fired up to beat last year's #2 and they were playing at home and they hadn't been beaten so in their minds they thought they could be national champs. Boise beat them and broke them mentally and they had a bad hangover loss to James Madison. Now they will probably win the ACC (I know, not a big deal). Oregon State entered their game with Boise with a lot of hype and with a desire to prove something by beating Boise BUT they couldn't do it. What these teams are now is directly related to what Boise did to them then.
Oregon State and VaTech are beside the point. The PAC 10 is nothing. I can accept an undefeated team from a good conference but not from a conference which is OVERRATED. If Oregon is better than Boise they have to beat Boise especially since they lost to them last year. The assumption has to be on the side of Boise until Oregon proves they are better or Boise proves they aren't as good as last year. Being undefeated does nothing but prove they are as good as last year.

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » November 5th, 2010, 8:02 am

Pastorbps wrote: The PAC 10 is nothing. I can accept an undefeated team from a good conference but not from a conference which is OVERRATED.

Really?

3 of the 10 teams are in the BCS top 15. Just because they are West of the Mississippi doesnt mean the conference isnt as good as those on the East side.
Let the wild rumpus start!

Rob
Hey, hey, hey

Postby Rob » November 5th, 2010, 12:29 pm

Pastorbps wrote:My point is, who is the best team.

Let's see it's my poll, and I think Oregon is the best team

There is no reason to believe Oregon is better than Boise.

Why not? Just because Boise returned 21 of 22 starters doesn't mean they are as good as they were last year. I think their play this year in their conference has proved that. They are not blowing teams out like they did last year.

The ASSUMPTION is that Oregon is much better this year but Boise isn't.

I don't believe that is an assumption, I think it's a fact. Look at how Oregon has handled USC, and Stanford thus far.

Why do people make that assumption? I agree Boise will fall in the polls because of their opponents but my point is, who is the best team. You say Auburn would run all over them. I think you vastly underestimate Boise. I think Boise would be a nightmare for Auburn.

Care to qualify that last statement? I don't think Boise's defense is anywhere as good as LSU's and Newton had a field day against them. To further prove my fact, let's see how Newton and Auburn does against Alabama. I think Boise is a top 10 team, at best. And if Boise was a good as they think they are, why are they requesting a million dollars to go play a Nebraska. If you're that good, go play them and shut people like me up instead of making it a pay day. If you beat a Nebraska at Lincoln then that will qualify them as a good team.

If TCU beats Utah, I'm not sure they are not the best team in the country BUT their last loss was to Boise so I can't jump them especially since it is the same Boise team (personnel wise) as last year. Having said that, do people realize TCU beat Baylor by 5 touchdowns? This is the same Baylor who just beat Texas.

Talking about assumptions, you are comparing apples to oranges man. Last year's team against this year's team, and there is no way to compare them. But your point is well taken with regards to TCU, and I think TCU is a better team than Boise.

You mentioned Boise's victories over VaTech and Oregon State. Yes Virginia Tech lost to James Madison BUT it was Boise who broke their will.

Are you serious? Boise had to score in the last seconds to beat Va Tech. Va Tech at James Madison at Lane Stadium in Blacksburg. That loss goes up there with Appy St. at the Big House man. You don't lose to a 1-AA team.

They were all fired up to beat last year's #2 and they were playing at home

They were playing at Fed Ex field in Washington, DC about 4/5 hours from Blacksburg. Not at home.

and they hadn't been beaten so in their minds they thought they could be national champs. Boise beat them and broke them mentally and they had a bad hangover loss to James Madison. Now they will probably win the ACC (I know, not a big deal). Oregon State entered their game with Boise with a lot of hype and with a desire to prove something by beating Boise BUT they couldn't do it.

I guess Oregon St. couldn't do it because TCU had broke them mentally and they had a bad hangover from their loss?

What these teams are now is directly related to what Boise did to them then. Oregon State and VaTech are beside the point. The PAC 10 is nothing.

Do you watch college football outside of the SEC? The PAC10 is a much better conference than the ACC. The ACC doesn't have anyone in the top 15 and the PAC 10 has what 2/3?

I can accept an undefeated team from a good conference but not from a conference which is OVERRATED. If Oregon is better than Boise they have to beat Boise especially since they lost to them last year. The assumption has to be on the side of Boise until Oregon proves they are better or Boise proves they aren't as good as last year. Being undefeated does nothing but prove they are as good as last year.

Again your argument of last is last year. While it is correct that Boise has returned 21 of 22 players I don't think they are playing with the same intensity as last year. Look at Texas last year, and lost a lot and Nebraska was going to prove that the defeat in the Big 12 was a fluke, and Texas went in and beat them again, and Texas lost a lot while Nebraska returned more than Texas. My point is, again that was last year. I wish Boise would play Oregon, play an Auburn, but it's not going to happen. I guess you can simply call me a Boise hater, until they play a quality schedule.

Pastorbps
Whoa!!
Whoa!!

Postby Pastorbps » November 6th, 2010, 4:38 am

I simply think Boise's style of offense and defense would be a bad matchup for Auburn. I like Auburn but they have won a LOT of games by single digits and almost all of their big games were at HOME (SC, Clemson, LSU, Ark - close til the end). I believe they lose all those games on the opponents home fields or even neutral fields.

Boise may end up playing TCU again which would be AWFUL. No one wants to see that. I'm not convinced Oregon will run the table and I don't believe there is any way in the world Auburn runs the table. I honestly believe Boise could play with any of the top teams in the country and the games could go either way.

The National championship could very well be Boise & TCU/Utah winner. I'm with you on the fact that would be awful. I'd like to see Boise/Alabama or TCU/Oregon.

My statement on the PAC 10 isn't based on the polls but is based upon who they have played outside the conference. The only big out of conference win was Arizona over Iowa and Iowa should have won that one. The PAC 10 struggled against sorry teams from the ACC and Big 10. Stanford & USC struggled with sorry teams outside the conference but everyone gives Oregon credit for beating those 2 teams.

Having said all I have said about Boise, today is a trap game for Boise. Hawaii can score even though I think they are not nearly as talented, they do run one of those offenses which can give good teams trouble if they get on a roll (See Ga Tech & their option).

One more thing, I am aware of where the VaTech/Boise game was played. It was still a home game for VaTech. 200 miles vs. 2000 miles.

Return to “Sports...By Popular Demand”