Rob's Top Ten

Take me out to the ball game! Basketball, baseball, football...Oh my!

Moderator: The J2 Mod Squad

Rob
Hey, hey, hey

Rob's Top Ten

Postby Rob » October 2nd, 2010, 6:00 pm

Okay guys. This is when I think all polls should come out is after this week of football. Now here it is my first Top Ten poll for the year.

1. Alabama - Sorry Dolfan, but if there is a better team in college football this year, I haven't seen them yet.

2. Oregon - I think this team is the 2nd best team in the country right now. But.............

3. The Ohio State - is so close to Oregon right now I can flip flop these two team and not much difference between the two.

4. Oklahoma - They will win the Big 12 South, but will not win the Big 12 Conference.

5. Nebraska - Will win the Big 12 North and the Big 12. Coach Bo is doing very well.

6. Auburn - 2nd best team in the SEC, problem is they are in the West and Alabama will win it.

7. LSU - If this team had an offense, they could be very dangerous.

8. TCU - Not sure about them yet.

9 . Boise St. - Their win over Va Tech doesn't look impressive at all now.

10. Florida - They still play in the best conference and will win the East.
If I were to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for business. I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right will make no difference." -Abraham Lincoln

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » October 4th, 2010, 4:32 am

I'm glad you think so well of the SEC!!!! :D

I'd only differ some....here's my personal top 10:

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Ohio State
4. Nebraska
5. Oklahoma
6. Auburn
7. TCU
8. Arizona
9. Michigan
10. Boise State

I don't see how LSU can be considered the #8 team in the coaches' poll and be 9 point underdogs to Florida for this coming Saturday, which they are right now. I may be made a believer in Baton Rouge in early November, but I'm not drinking any LSU Kool-Aid yet. Les Miles may be the luckiest coach in football, a fact underscored by Tennessee's unbelievably poor coaching (reminded me of Mike Shula game management) at the end of that game on Saturday that lost the game for them.

The biggest surprise to me is Auburn. They're also a big question mark. How long can they continue to put Cam Newton into the open field and have him be their go-to guy as the season winds down and competition gets tougher? On the other hand, can anybody doubt that Cam Newton is a genuine all-star talent and that planning for him defensively is always going to be a tough task??
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

Paully_44
Established Member

Re: Rob's Top Ten

Postby Paully_44 » October 4th, 2010, 7:00 am

Rob wrote:1. Alabama - Sorry Dolfan, but if there is a better team in college football this year, I haven't seen them yet.

Nope, no better team. They dominate every aspect of the game. Thankfully, the Florida vs Alabama game was shown out here on the West Coast. Very impressive.
Let the wild rumpus start!

Rob
Hey, hey, hey

Postby Rob » October 4th, 2010, 10:03 am

Dolfan, you have got to be kidding me with Michigan in the top 10? They can't stop anybody. They gave up 38/39 points to UMASS and 35 to Indiana. Wait till they play the Big Boys of the Big Ten.

I stated that if LSU had an offense to go with their defense they would be pretty good.
If I were to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for business. I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right will make no difference." -Abraham Lincoln

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » October 4th, 2010, 11:49 am

Well, Boise hasn't played anyone, either!! :lol: :lol: We'll see on Michigan. You're probably right, but we'll see. If Michigan falters, that means Auburn's chances of doing so are also higher. Both are one man shows offensively, seems like. So, trust me, I'm good with that. I'm no Wolverine fan, for sure.

Interestingly, here are the Sagarin Top 25 power rankings.

1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. Boise State
4. Florida
5. Oklahoma
6. Ohio State
7. LSU
8. TCU
9. Arizona
10. Miami - FL
11. FSU
12. Stanford
13. Utah
14. Auburn
15. Iowa
16. Nebraska
17. Va. Tech
18. Nevada
19. Okla. State
20. Texas
21. Arkansas
22. So. Cal.
23. Michigan
24. S. Carolina
25. West Virginia
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » October 4th, 2010, 11:53 am

If you follow Sagarin's scoring predictor, Bama would be a 13 point favorite over S. Carolina this week. The opening line I saw today had Bama as 9 point faves. We'll see.....

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » October 4th, 2010, 11:57 am

Bama and Ohio State are the only 2 teams in the top 50 with wins against top 10 teams thus far this season (both are 1-0). Only two teams in the top 50 have played more than 1 top 10 team: Oregon State (0-2) and Tennessee (0-3).

Pastorbps
Whoa!!
Whoa!!

Postby Pastorbps » October 5th, 2010, 6:02 pm

1. Alabama (Toughest game yet this weekend in what is probably a preview of the SEC Championship – Upset Alert)
2. Ohio State (Will lose at Iowa later this year. No one else in the weak Big 10 will be able to beat them.)
3. Boise State (Will remain undefeated throughout the season)
4. Nebraska (Best team you hear little about)
5. Oregon (Lost to Boise last year and Boise returns the same team. No reason to believe Oregon is better than Boise this year. Until they beat Boise or Boise loses a game, Oregon remains behind Boise).
6. TCU (I would love to see them play Oregon)
7. Oklahoma (Up one game, down the next)
8. Auburn (Overrated – Won 2 big games at home and that is it. Both Clemson & SC beat them on a neutral field. Clemson did everything but complete a wide open 5 yard pass in OT. SC played a horrible game and still almost beat them. My point is, if Clemson can beat you at home, you aren’t that good.)
9. Iowa (Heartbreaking loss 1000 miles from home. They will not lose again).
10. LSU (Not for long. They will be passed in the polls by Arkansas and South Carolina. They will lose to Arkansas, Alabama and they may lose to Mississippi State. Undefeated for now so I left them here. Probably won’t finish in top 25.)

I know you hate this Rob but Boise and TCU are legitimately 2 of the top 6 and it will be proved when they get the chance to play someone besides each other. Only Alabama, Ohio State, Nebraska and possibly Iowa can beat them (Not that they necessarily would - Except Alabama - they would).

Rob
Hey, hey, hey

Postby Rob » October 6th, 2010, 3:05 pm

PastorPBS,

You have got to be kidding me. Enjoying the Blue Kool-aid are you? Boise for real? They had to score in the last minute of the game to beat a middle of the pack ACC team in VA. Tech who in turn lost to a Division 1-AA team James Madison at home in Blacksburg. They beat Oregon State who will be a middle of the pack PAC-10 team. Yes, they beat Oregon last year, but this Oregon team is much better than last year. And this Oregon team would beat BSU, as well as Alabama, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, I think even, Arkansas would beat them.

The BCS last year was a joke, by putting Boise and TCU in the Fiesta Bowl, when those teams should have played a team from a qualifing conference and then lets see what happens, but we were not afforded that luxury.

TCU - is yet to be proven as well and we will see, they play in a tougher conference than Boise does. They will have to play Utah, BYU, to mention a couple. Which is much better competion than the WAC.

Anyway that's my $.02

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » October 7th, 2010, 4:24 am

It is really really interesting to pit teams from way different parts of the country against each other right now. Take that Oregon v. Alabama "matchup". I'm with Rob, I think Oregon would win that game and it might not even be that close -- of course, that's all pure speculation and I'm as big of a Bama homer as you'll find.

Boise State vs. Oregon? Hands down, IMO, Oregon would win. This Oregon team is not last year's team; they're better. But, I will go back and say what I said about BSU earlier, that they have some decent defensive team speed. But, I've seen enough of Oregon to make me a believer in them. I have not watched as much of Boise State.

On strength of schedule alone, though, Boise probably wins the "who's better" battle for ranking purposes at this point. Neither have played a top 10 team; both have played top 30 teams (BSU is 2-0, Oregon 1-0). I can only judge by what I see. And, what I see is a dominant Oregon team. I'll feel better about Alabama in relation to Oregon if Bama wins against S. Carolina and then Ole Miss and then trounces Tennessee as badly as Oregon did (even if they were close in the 1st half). That'll be our only common opponent, and it is rare for Oregon and Alabama to even have a common opponent.

dalebert
Woohoo!

Postby dalebert » November 20th, 2010, 2:05 pm

Ohio State (Will lose at Iowa later this year. No one else in the weak Big 10 will be able to beat them.)

well so much for this prediction! Wisconsin beats Ohio State and Ohio State wins at Iowa. Now there should be a three way tie for the Big Ten with Wisconsin going to the Rose bowl. Not bad for the weak Big 10! Next year will be a great year for the weak Big 10 with Nebraska going over! I sense the Big 10 on the rise!

Pastorbps
Whoa!!
Whoa!!

Postby Pastorbps » November 21st, 2010, 4:06 am

Bring out the stones!!!
I missed a lot on my predictions. I thought Alabama was almost untouchable. I do believe the Big 10 is on the rise again. Some of their teams have proved to be better than anticipated but I still need to see them play out of conference.

Return to “Sports...By Popular Demand”