March Madness

Take me out to the ball game! Basketball, baseball, football...Oh my!

Moderator: The J2 Mod Squad

Rob
Hey, hey, hey

March Madness

Postby Rob » February 1st, 2010, 11:29 am

If I were to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for business. I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right will make no difference." -Abraham Lincoln

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » February 1st, 2010, 1:59 pm

It is absurd. They won't institute a CFB playoff because, they say, it would make the regular season games lose meaning. Then they'll expand the already overbloated hoops bracket to 96? Basketball is the only sport I know where they play so many games to eliminate 4 teams and then start all over in a playoff. That is THE thing that I don't like about basketball.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

beckrl
Woohoo!

Postby beckrl » February 1st, 2010, 2:20 pm

I see it happening because of those teams that have been left out in the past with a better record than the last one's in. I'm not sure why the addition to 96 teams, I would agree to adding 5 to 10 teams.

What will happen to the NIT? they will be the losers. They will not have any big name teams because of this addition to the NCAA. Then no one will care to watch the NIT.

And I'm a lover of March Madness.

dalebert
Woohoo!

Postby dalebert » February 2nd, 2010, 12:14 pm

Its all about the schools and the TV networks making MORE money by using the young men as free employees! Yeah i know they get a full ride to school but will the players make anything beyound their full rides? You still get four years of free school but now you will play more games! Dont they call this "slave labor" in other countries? OK...maybe im over the top....

TC
Hey, hey, hey

Postby TC » February 10th, 2010, 1:08 pm

First let me say... I HATE THE NCAA and the BCS

Well I remember as a kid when they went to 64, it was a big deal and everyone said it was too many. Well if it go 96 it will just be a bigger joke. Last year Zona got in just because they were zona, teams with better records, better SOS and better RPI did not get in, two years ago ky got in with a worst record, sos and RPI than zona did last year.

When they added ONE team that was a joke, there was no reason to add ONE team. I could see adding 3 and giving the 1s a first round bye, or even 7 and give the ones and twos a bye. Maybe even the top fours but you can excuse anything away if you want to.

THe NCAA wants it because it has gotten so big and it is all about the MONEY... going to 96 adds 16 first round games. that is more money. Just like the BCS.. they want to keep the bowl games and conference games to keep the cash.

The NCAA does not care about the NIT... because they own the NIT as well and they know that teams to play and get the money from that as well. THe NCAA does not care about the players and the number of games as well either. If they did why do they add games (tourneys and such) as well as let them play in preseason tourneys.

I would think that they would most likely add more games on tues/wed of week one, then they could get it over quicker and get more bang for the buck without having to do more work. First rounds would be 3 days at the same site instead of two.

Return to “Sports...By Popular Demand”