Mark McGwire

Take me out to the ball game! Basketball, baseball, football...Oh my!

Moderator: The J2 Mod Squad

Rob
Hey, hey, hey

Mark McGwire

Postby Rob » January 11th, 2010, 10:25 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4816607

There's the story. Good thing I don't have a HOF vote. But no way should he be in the HOF just my opinion.
If I were to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for business. I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right will make no difference." -Abraham Lincoln

Paully_44
Established Member

Re: Mark McGwire

Postby Paully_44 » January 11th, 2010, 11:07 am

Pastor Rob wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4816607

There's the story. Good thing I don't have a HOF vote. But no way should he be in the HOF just my opinion.

I think the HOF voting system needs to be overhauled and have players, coaches, HOF members do the voting, not the media.

That said, I keep seeing McGwire in my memory, holding his kid up after during the time he was breaking the infamous #61 record. I wonder how he deals with the memories of that. The more those who used suplements come clean, the more impressive the records of old are.
Let the wild rumpus start!

Rob
Hey, hey, hey

Re: Mark McGwire

Postby Rob » January 11th, 2010, 5:49 pm

Paully_44 wrote:
Pastor Rob wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4816607

I think the HOF voting system needs to be overhauled and have players, coaches, HOF members do the voting, not the media.

That said, I keep seeing McGwire in my memory, holding his kid up after during the time he was breaking the infamous #61 record. I wonder how he deals with the memories of that. The more those who used suplements come clean, the more impressive the records of old are.

I'm not so sure I don't agree with you on the voting, that being said, I don't think anyone that has admitted to using HGH or Steroids should be in the HOF. That includes Clemens, ARod, and the list goes on and on and on and on and on and..................well you get the idea.
If I were to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for business. I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right will make no difference." -Abraham Lincoln

beckrl
Woohoo!

Postby beckrl » January 15th, 2010, 2:58 pm

I was pulling for him in his run for 62 HR, but had that all knowing knowledge that he was juicing. I guess I was hoping he wasn't. I liked him. Now that he has come clean and admitted that he used it. I wouldn't vote for him if I had a vote.

That goes for many and all that is known users. And I don't buy it that he would have broken that record of 61 nor 73 without using.

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » January 18th, 2010, 3:40 am

So did he lie to Congress?
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » January 18th, 2010, 4:33 am

Full Quiver wrote:So did he lie to Congress?

no, he refused to answer

McGwire followed his lawyer's advice by neither confirming nor denying that he used steroids. His opening statement set the tone: "My lawyers have advised me that I cannot answer these questions without jeopardizing my friends, my family and myself.

From an ESPN article

Tom Davis was the chairman of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform on March 17, 2005, when McGwire repeatedly testified that he would not "talk about the past."

Davis told the AP on Monday that McGwire made clear the day before that hearing he had used steroids and wanted to say so but was worried he would face legal trouble by admitting it then. Davis says he was turned down when he asked then-Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez to grant McGwire immunity.

So to avoid legal trouble back in 2005 when he testified before Congress, he would neither admit nor deny his involvement. He came away from that hearing not looking so good. Obviously we all new if he didnt scream that he was clean, then he was most likely a former roid user and now history shows us that he was.
Last edited by Paully_44 on January 18th, 2010, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the wild rumpus start!

beckrl
Woohoo!

Postby beckrl » January 18th, 2010, 10:53 am

Right, like many of them they don't want to talk about what they have done, but say they only look to return and start playing again. Oh well for confessions.

Return to “Sports...By Popular Demand”