Do you think this is a racist comment?

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Do you think this comment is racist?

racist
9%
not racist
83%
Unsure
9%

Total votes: 23

Kenya

Postby Kenya » October 3rd, 2003, 2:33 am

Mega dittos, Doris.

And to add to that, if you know Rush, you know that he NEVER shys away from anything controversial. After all, that is why he is who he is. My guess is that he is very prejudiced - just against Democrats - not race..... 8)
Kenya

I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing! Galatians 2:21

http://www.somersetcommunitymission.com

Gerald Creasy

Postby Gerald Creasy » October 3rd, 2003, 4:07 am

Regarding the Enquirer story I have two questions.

1) What does that have to do with a supposed "racist" comment ?

2) If it's true -and although I am a BIG Rush fan I don't care if it is or not-
If it's true if he'd just gone on Oprah and bragged/confessed about it like
all the lame-oh Hollywierd & Rock Star addicts wouldn't he have been
called a hero!?

And Oh! Oh! Arnold "groped" some women over his thirty years in Hollywierd and it's terrible awful depravity. But the Smarmy Alec Baldwin (If Bush is elected I'm leaving America)and his bros can celebrate their birthdays by eating their meal off a naked woman stretched across a table and somehow THEY are qualified to speak of National Events.

I'm just about sick of the twofaced media.

Paully_44
Established Member

Re: Do you think this is a racist comment?

Postby Paully_44 » October 3rd, 2003, 4:39 am

"I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

I think what this was more than anything was just a failed attempt at a radio personality, who might happen to be a football fan, trying to be something that he is not... a football analyst. Now, if he would have provided some statistics to back up his comments, maybe he wouldn't have drawn so much fire.

What I do find interesting though is all the people calling for Limbaugh's firing over this. Where was the Rev Al Sharpton when Dusty Baker made his comments this summer about the white man not being able to handle the heat as well other races.... IMHO, that comment was no more racist or malicious as Limbaugh's.

There can be only one RUSH (Geddy Lee, Alex Leifson, Neil Peart) :lol:
Let the wild rumpus start!

Crystal
Needs a hobby

Postby Crystal » October 3rd, 2003, 5:05 am

The media is pointing fingers at Rush because they have no rebuttal to his
accusation. Which actually proves his point.
The media (in Rush's opinion) does not critisize McNabb and Rush points that out. There could have been a good debate over the topic where facts could have been shared but the quick cop-out was to yell racism.

My heart is sick over the drug accusations I hope they are not true.

Crystal

jdavis
Hall Of Fame

Postby jdavis » October 3rd, 2003, 5:12 am

sorry I'm having touble using quotes
Last edited by jdavis on October 3rd, 2003, 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdavis
Hall Of Fame

Postby jdavis » October 3rd, 2003, 5:14 am

[quote="jdavis"][/quote] What does that have to do with a supposed "racist" comment ?

Actually it has nothing to do with his comment, just that the media is linking the two stories together. I don't know if Rush is racist or not. I don' t think that he is, but he is controversial and has a political agenda. ESPN knew that when they hired him. They did not hire him for his football expertise. They hired him because he has a loyal 20 million person audience of whom I am one. They should have expected him to draw fire.

white man not being able to handle the heat as well other races....
It,s pretty cold here in Chicagoland today. Does that mean the Braves are going to win??? Which team has the lightest skinned players? :idea:

Mole_J
I can see clearly now!

Rush's Response

Postby Mole_J » October 3rd, 2003, 9:20 am

12:07 PM EST BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

Ladies and gentlemen, let me start with something. I know that there's an issue, and an item out there that you're extremely curious about. And let me just say something very quickly about this. As you know - and I've talked about this at great length, and I've over the more than 15 years that I have hosted the program, I've always been awed, I have been overawed, in fact, and very humbled by the incredibly deep bond of loyalty that all of you have had for me and this program. It's something that when I was young and imagining a career in this business I always dreamed of, but - and I'll be honest, I thought it would happen. I had no idea what it would be like.

I really - I had no idea what a lot of things would be like when I achieved what my dreams were. There's a real deep bond of loyalty that you and I have for each other, and I've described the relationship that we have here as familial. We are like a giant family. Over the 15 years of this program, that's what we've become. We have become like a giant family, and we all sometimes celebrate the identical things without having to talk to each other, we do with other instances. We know when the red flags go up without having to communicate each other. It really is a unique relationship that has evolved on this program.

Since Wednesday of this week, when the ESPN story first hit, the controversy - actually, the controversy such that there actually - it's amazing to me that this is a controversy at all. Had what I said been said by anybody else - Sean Hannity could have said it, and it would not have been, it wouldn't have even gotten noticed. It wouldn't have gotten scant attention. But it did. On Tuesday, the Philadelphia media, both print and broadcast, erupted with what had been said on Sunday on ESPN. It took two days for there to be any reaction. There wasn't any reaction to it even on the ESPN set. So Wednesday, things moved quite rapidly and had to go to Philadelphia after the program that day.

Late that night, in communication via e-mail with vice-presidents at ESPN, I resigned that position that I have. I'll tell you about that in detail in just a moment. And around the same time came a story involving drugs and me in Florida. Since both of these stories have erupted, I have received - it is unbelievable to me. I have received over - at ten o'clock this morning, it was over 25,000 e-mails. I'm sure it's a lot more than that. Well, there's been another 2,000 here just in the last 90 minutes and it's probably going to skyrocket here during the program. These e-mails have come without me being on the air, so over 30,000 e-mails.

There have been hundreds of telephone calls. All have been asking about e-mails and phone calls have been asking about me. All have been - the vast majority have been - just extremely supportive. It's very gratifying to see, and that's very humbling, too. And I hope you understand what I mean when I say humbling. When my first book came out and it rocketed to the top of the New York Times list, there was a book party that the publisher threw for me. There was some Time magazine executive who came up and asked me how I felt about it, and I said, "I'm very humbled by this," and he did not understand what I meant.

"Humbled? You were humbled?" I said, "Yeah. Maybe I'm using the wrong word, but I'm just very appreciative that this many people would go out and buy something I wrote." And I'm at the same time here very moved by the realization that there are so many thousands, millions of you who are likewise concerned for me and my family in this situation. Now, here's the nub of it at the moment. The story in Florida is - it really is - an emerging situation. I watched what's being reported on television, and it changes from morning to morning, hour to hour, day to day. I don't yet know what I'm dealing with there, folks.

I really don't know the full scope of what I am dealing with. And when I get all the facts, when I get all the details of this, rest assured that I will discuss this with you and tell you how it is, tell you everything there is, maybe more than you want to know about this. You can believe me and trust me on that. I don't want to answer any questions about it now, as I say, until I know exactly what I'm dealing with, and at that point I will fill you all in. As I say, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the notes and all of the expressions of support. It means everything to me, as has your support over these many years, and nothing has changed in that regard.

I've often said throughout the 15 years that I've been here, that you people have made my life an adult Christmas every day. Every morning is an adult Christmas, and it's still the same. Still got up today, couldn't wait to get in here, couldn't wait to start the routine, couldn't wait to start the show prep. I'm a little frustrated that I haven't yet gotten to the bottom of what all this is about, and I'm very much desirous of telling you about this, but until I know exactly what this is - and I don't get - it just makes no sense to start delving into it.

I don't want to deal with hypotheticals, and I don't want to respond to what's in the press. I'm very tempted to. I'm not going to even go there. But I want to say, "Trust me," but I don't...look it, it makes no sense for me to go there. I'm even going to tell you how you ought to look at that stuff that's in the press. I don't, it's just...I'm not going to even characterize it yet. Just trust me on this. When I find out all that this is - aside from those that are closest to me in my personal and business orb, and you all are very close on the personal orb - then you are going to be among the first to know, from me.

END TRANSCRIPT

If you want to listen to him I think it is on Rush's website[/url]

Rush does not admit or deny the drug story in this statement. The Drudge Report is reporting that the National Enquirer held the story for two years. The newpaper editors said they felt more confidence in the story after the police had started an investigation. I do not know a lot about crime investigations, but does it take two years for the police just to start an drug investigation :?:

EagerBeaver
--== J2 ==--

Postby EagerBeaver » October 3rd, 2003, 4:04 pm

As a radio broadcaster, let me project what I know and think to this forum. Let's separate fact from opinion as well.

FACT
Broadcasters, no matter who they are, especially in the military, have to be especially careful of what they say. In the civilian media, you are either liberal or conservative. Watch what you say because the other side will always find some way to pick you apart. It doesn't seem fair but that's the way the world works.

In military broadcasting (like my job with the American Forces Network), we have sensitivities we deal with. We have people in the military from every race. If I were to get on the radio during our morning show and say similar comments to what Rush did, chances are on our small base someone would hear it, become offended, and my job and credibility would go down the toilet.

OPINION
In Rush's case, what he said was legitimate, just ESPN was not the place to say something of that magnitude. He unsuccessfully tried to mix his political expertise in with his lack of football knowledge and the result was a twisted wreck of a statement that the liberal media jumped on, and now he's canned. Better for him that he's gone anyway, because if he would have continued on Sunday NFL Countdown, people would concentrate on him for the comment he made last Sunday, not anything he would say that might actually be important this Sunday.

Poor Rush. Just goes to show we need to think before we speak. Let this be a lesson to all of us grasshoppas.
Chris Brewer - My Website

Daniel 11:33

Postby Daniel 11:33 » October 5th, 2003, 12:54 am

Rush Limbaugh and the media are different sides of the same counterfeit coin. When are people going to wakeup? You spend all this time talking about a stupid issue like this, and spend so little time talking about issues that really matter. Like the war in Iraq, and the 87 billion dollars on top of the 75 billion we have already spent on a war that had no justification. I knew before this war even started there were no WMD in Iraq. I happen to read, unlike most of the heard. The first chief weapons inspector that left in 93 made it clear that they were destroyed and there was no imminent threat before the war even began. And therefore could not be anything in Iraq that could justify the position the Bush administration was taking on WMD’s. Plus there were many CIA intelligence agents that said there was no proof of WMD’s. But people like Limbaugh were standing firmly behind the scumbag Bush and presenting so-called proof of the Weapons of mass destruction (ALL LIES) to his loyal listeners. Now the truth is coming out if you bother to read the evidence, instead of listening to the mind numbing, thought controlling press. When are people going to get it? There is about 2% of the media in this country that report unbiased news with any integrity. And those outlets are getting smaller and weaker everyday. Who do you think owns the mass media? Rush doesn’t believe in conspiracy theories. He has stated that on his show, yet history is full of conspiracies from The Iraq war and 9/11 which are part of the same conspiracy, Iran/Contra, Watergate, JFK, RFK, MLK and Lincoln assassinations, and going all the way back into the ancient world. It is a fact of history. Of course you have to get off your backside and read the documents of history to find out the truth. Its because of laziness, apathy, not caring, and afraid of caring because if they knew the truth they would see themselves as cowards for doing nothing about it, or not even speaking out against the forces of tyrany and evil. We are not the sons of the founding fathers of this country. We have become a people that cares about nothing except what's personally in it for me. The few that do care and try and speak the truth, are maligned, accused, imprisoned, and if they are in politics they are assassinated. Just take a look at Senators and Congressman that mysteriously die in plane crashes, etc. and then take a look at a few of there final speeches, and the unpopular stands they were making in their political lives just before they died, and you will see what I’m talking about. WAKE UP from the mind controlling media, and Hollywood!

God help us

Gerald Creasy

Postby Gerald Creasy » October 5th, 2003, 8:55 am

Michael,

Have You ever read a readers Digest Condensed Book?

Mike Vande
I like flapjacks.

Postby Mike Vande » October 6th, 2003, 8:10 am

Michael wrote:...are you implying that I copied and pasted in too many quotes for too long a post?

Mike,
I don't speak for Gerald, but yeah, can you limit your display of erudition and research to a much greater degree? Brevity is the soul of wit, after all...

By the way, you and Daniel ought to have fun with each other, whichever side of the fence(s) you guys wind up on from each other. When I read his posts, I figured you'd either swing with him or at him... :lol:

Illuminati? Oh brother...
Vande
Why is it that bad decisions seem to make to most interesting testimonies?

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Citizenship

Postby Pastor Gary » October 6th, 2003, 9:49 am

Michael wrote:...You will, however, be accused by some of the posters on this board of living in paranoia and assuredly you will be told by some that they wouldn't want to live in your world. The problem with people who would malign you for your thoughts is that they don't want to face the REAL world

The real world. I guess it depends.

Since we are but pilgrims and foreigners here on this earth, it just seems that spending so much focus, energy and passion trying to rail against --to 'fix'-- a flawed system of government in a land we are only visiting is time that can be better spent working for the Kingdom of Heaven.

Different emphasis, I suppose.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

rough_rider
I can see clearly now!

Postby rough_rider » October 6th, 2003, 10:02 am

Amen P.G. :D
In the presence of Jehovah, God almighty, Prince of peace.
Troubles vanish, hearts are mended, in the presence of
The King.
ImageImage . Image .Image

Daniel 11:33

Postby Daniel 11:33 » October 6th, 2003, 10:29 am

To pastor Gary; This is not about raling, or trying to change a corrupt system of government. this is about doing what Jesus commanded. And that is to be as "wise as serpents and harmless as doves." This is about being aware of who is the enemy is, and what their plans are. No where is it commanded to be ignorant of everything except the scriptures. Paul and the rest of the apostles were very much aware of what was going on arround them in the world. This is also required of Christians. Examples of why;

"A cultist is anyone who...Has a strong belief in the Bible & the second coming of Christ; who frequently attends Bible studies; who has a high level of giving to Christian causes; who home schools their children; who have accumulated survival foods and have a strong belief in the 2nd amendment; and distrusts big government. Anyone who fits any of these characteristics is cause for concern, but someone who fits two or more of these traits is a threat, and any family exposed to this is at risk, which would require government intervention."

Attorney General Janet Reno, in a statement made on June 26, 1994 while on the TV show '60 Minutes'. [60 minutes subsequently destroyed their master copies of the interview and denied its' existence. Patriot groups continue to circulate copies of this using underground media sources.]

"Fundamental, Bible-believing people do not have the right to indoctrinate their children in their religious beliefs because we, the state, are preparing them for the year 2000, when America will be a one-world global society and their children will not fit in." Nebraska State Senator, Peter Hoagland on radio in 1983

Michael Vande, I assume with this quote you don't believe the Illuminati exists.

quote:
Illuminati? Oh brother...
Vande

A good number of years after the Ilumnati was suposedly shut down in Europe this man wrote this letter.

President George Washington, who was himself a mason wrote in a personal letter dated 1782, “It was not my intention to doubt that the doctrines of the Illuminati and the principles of Jacobinism, had not spread in the United States. On the contrary, no one is more fully satisfied of this fact than I am.”

Some one that was a freemason would know. I personally know a Freemason from my work, and he said the principles of the Illuminati are very much alive in Masonry. For that matter in other secret societies as well, Scull and Bones, Council on Foreign Relations, Bilderbergs, etc. It is a hauty spirit towards things we know nothing about that causes deception and apostacy.

God help us to understand
Last edited by Daniel 11:33 on October 6th, 2003, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Uh huh

Postby Pastor Gary » October 6th, 2003, 10:34 am

Daniel 11:33 wrote:"A cultist is anyone who...Has a strong belief in the Bible & the second coming of Christ; who frequently attends Bible studies; who has a high level of giving to Christian causes; who home schools their children; who have accumulated survival foods and have a strong belief in the 2nd amendment; and distrusts big government. Anyone who fits any of these characteristics is cause for concern, but someone who fits two or more of these traits is a threat, and any family exposed to this is at risk, which would require government intervention."

Attorney General Janet Reno, in a statement made on June 26, 1994 while on the TV show '60 Minutes'. (60 minutes subsequently destroyed their master copies of the interview and denied its' existence. Patriot groups continue to circulate copies of this using underground media sources.)

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/reno.htm

Bogus, dude. Never happened.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”