Camping Ministry

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Does your state rent or own the Camping Facility

Own
75%
Rent
25%

Total votes: 16

Paully_44
Established Member

Camping Ministry

Postby Paully_44 » June 18th, 2003, 3:46 am

The time for the Summer Youth camps is upon us. I was just wondering how many states out there own the Camp Ground you use for your camping ministry or do you rent?
Let the wild rumpus start!

Kenya

Postby Kenya » June 18th, 2003, 3:56 am

Which brings me to another question....can someone who is familiar with the camping ministry tell me why we have gone from $50 fee to $90??? The 1st year they went up on the cost, they took the kids to Kentucky Kingdom and bowling, skating, etc. I understood why they had to have the extra money. Last year, they didn't do any of that and still raised the price....why does it cost so much??????
Kenya

I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing! Galatians 2:21

http://www.somersetcommunitymission.com

AndyG
700+ Posts

Postby AndyG » June 18th, 2003, 4:39 am

Kenya wrote:Which brings me to another question....can someone who is familiar with the camping ministry tell me why we have gone from $50 fee to $90??? The 1st year they went up on the cost, they took the kids to Kentucky Kingdom and bowling, skating, etc. I understood why they had to have the extra money. Last year, they didn't do any of that and still raised the price....why does it cost so much??????

My dad is a director and is on the youth camp committee with the other directors, so through him, I have heard some of the reasons:

Insurace costs have skyrocketed

cost for amenities such as electric and water continue to increase

The cost for meeting an ever growing legal code starts costing more

Repairs from damage done by "good church kids" who think the campground doubles as a trashcan/demolition derby

cleanup from storm damage (NC Campground got almost 3 inches of ICE this year, bunch of trees are gone :( , the area has had almost 39 inches of rain since Jan. 10 to 15 more than normal, etc.)

Food costs are huge, even with federal subsidies

etc., etc., etc.

I know all of this is true in NC, probably the same for other states as well, but what we get for our $90 to $110 is amazing.

I priced other DAY camps, not over night camps, that averaged $150 A DAY. Compared to our church camp prices, that's a huge cost difference. I know those camps have more "stuff" but at $750 a week for a camp without the spiritual emphasis is not a good tradeoff.
In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination.
- Mark Twain

He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man I ever met.
- Abraham Lincoln

Paully_44
Established Member

Summer Camp Time

Postby Paully_44 » June 18th, 2003, 5:02 am

AndyG wrote:
Insurace costs have skyrocketed

cost for amenities such as electric and water continue to increase

Good points Andy.

Out here in Washington State, we rent our camping facility. We rent it from the Wa State Parks & Recreation. One of the main reasons our prices went up a few years back is due to Insurance, plus we are at the mercy of the state, so when they increase the cost of rental, that cost gets passed along to our kids.

One saving grace for us is our Kitchen staff. My inlaws are the chief cooks and have an aggressive campaign in the area for food donations. We get most of our dairy products donated from a local dairy. Safeway has been very helpful in donating alot of breads and meats. I believe that once all food bills have been totaled the cost of food per camper comes out to less than $2 per day per camper.... not bad.

AndyG wrote:I priced other DAY camps, not over night camps, that averaged $150 A DAY. Compared to our church camp prices, that's a huge cost difference. I know those camps have more "stuff" but at $750 a week for a camp without the spiritual emphasis is not a good tradeoff.

A good friend of mine is a cabin leader for Young Life in Colorado. Their camp is quite costly at $700 per kid, with tons of stuff to do in a positive atmosphere but the spiritual emphasis is not pushed.

The benefits and fruits of the camping ministry, at least here in Washington, certainly outweigh the costs of attending. It is certainly a great ministry.

I am just longing for the day when we can own our camping facility
Let the wild rumpus start!

Kenya

Postby Kenya » June 18th, 2003, 5:14 am

Our campground was hit by a storm last year so that may have something to do with it.

Our day camps around here for arts/athletics are $50-$70 week. I guess I am spoiled. :lol:
Kenya

I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing! Galatians 2:21

dbserv
Hey, hey, hey

Camp Prices

Postby dbserv » June 18th, 2003, 5:45 am

I have personal knowledge of around 40 Church camps here in Northern CA. The cheapest one that I know of is $180.00 per week up to $250.00 per week.

It is my understanding that this is pretty much the range over the entire state. I don't have knowledge of COGOP's camps. Although, when our oldest son attended (about 13 years ago), it was $150.00 then.

Being in property management and maintenance, as well as the child care industry, I can attest to the high costs of providing care for children. It is an expensive undertaking.

I realize that it is hard to afford camp, especially if you have more than one or two kids. That is why we made every opportunity we could, when we were youth pastors, for the kids to earn their own money to save the parents the cost. It also eliminated the excuse "We can't afford to send Johnny and Suzy to camp."

I don't have time today, but if you're interested, I can give you some of our successful fund raising/earning activities that we used.

Have a great day!!!

BTW: Definitely praying for your dad.
God Bless You

Dan Bagley

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Hawaii Camp costs

Postby Pastor Gary » June 18th, 2003, 10:27 am

$99 for Monday until Friday Noon + a $5 snack card.

Our rental costs for the facility take $32 off the top (a nice Baptist Conference Facility); our food cost and kitchen use fees add about another $30-$35 per camper; that leaves about 1/3 for overhead... insurance, supplies, general administrative expenses.

We are a bargain in Hawaii. Other denominational camps cost more --- some LOTS more.

Here's the kicker: we charge staff $49 for the privilege of working! That covers the out-of-pocket cost for the room-fees and some food cost.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

AndyG
700+ Posts

Re: Hawaii Camp costs

Postby AndyG » June 18th, 2003, 12:31 pm

Pastor Gary wrote:$99 for Monday until Friday Noon + a $5 snack card.

Our rental costs for the facility take $32 off the top (a nice Baptist Conference Facility); our food cost and kitchen use fees add about another $30-$35 per camper; that leaves about 1/3 for overhead... insurance, supplies, general administrative expenses.

We are a bargain in Hawaii. Other denominational camps cost more --- some LOTS more.

Here's the kicker: we charge staff $49 for the privilege of working! That covers the out-of-pocket cost for the room-fees and some food cost.

SSSHHH!!!!

Don't give NC any ideas! It's hard enough as it is to get good workers.

:D
In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination.

- Mark Twain

He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man I ever met.

- Abraham Lincoln

TC
Hey, hey, hey

Kenya I am not on the commitee but

Postby TC » June 18th, 2003, 3:26 pm

I have several close contacts as well as the NEW main main is David Pate... but this is the story.

Our camp was 40 to 50 bucks since way back when I was a camper (and yes we did still have Electricty then) but then you paid for the Camp, then you paid extra for a shirt and extra for a Picture, then we were not able to do much else. the Storm hurt but it also helped ....Our camp was getting to the point we needed to replace carpets, roofs, screens, lights new paint. AFTER the storm most of that stuff got repaired and updated due to insurance payment.

AT one time we took food from the federal food program and parents had to fill out a ton of paperwork and most didn't do it, Some did and were offended that we were needing personal info. SO we determined that IF we dropped the program we could feed the Kid what we wanted, before each kid had to take a meat, milk and other stuff now if a kid wants salad only he can just get salad and we are not making a kid take food and him throwing it away. So that is mostly a break even thing.

For years we lost money and the STATE church fund made up the difference, A few years back the Overseer and the CAMP board decided that our camp MUST be self sufficient, ANY money that is profit is carried over to help the NEXT year camp. The electric bills are out of this world, heating the pool and the AC in the buildings are beyond belief.

NOW the price was raised but each camper gets either a Camp PIC or a Cabin PIC ( I just got home from taking the pics tonight) Each camper gets a Tshirt that was about a $15 dollar charge beforeso that puts your 50 bucks to 65, One of the reason for adding this things is that IF every camper gets one of each it is cheaper than 5 or 10 here and there. Where Mass purchases are cheaper than small numbers.

Each of the Trips were some pay but parts were donated to the camp, and some people are not giving like they used to. Some of these Kids this is the only thing they get in the summer so they have tried to make it memorable.

Now to me the 90 is alot and we several churches that take care of the kids from their church by offerings or fundraisers, and some ever help smaller churches that are not able to help thier own kids. I know of several familes that have no kids that send money to help those kids that fall short. I am not in total agreement on things that they have done, They have started the camps on monday afternoon instead of sunday, and that is one thing I totally disagree with but I see thier point, another problem is not being able to get staff, Dave is the director next week and he has had several back out of working as late as this week.

I believe in our Camping ministry if not I might no be where I am, and have the friends I have..... My best friend, I met in camp when I was 8 and to this day we are still very close. I speek to him on a regular basis and we go the the VILLE games together ( knew you would like that), BUT back to cost, How many other camps can you go to for less than 100 bucks for the better part of a week. I was an instructor at a band camp a few years ago and kids were MADE to go and it cost 175 bucks and that was 95 or so

Sorry so long .... Hope you and the Trumpet Man are doing well and I am still Praying for Your dad and all of your family

Kenya

Postby Kenya » June 18th, 2003, 3:54 pm

I figured you would give me the scoop, TC.

Went by and saw Daddy a few minutes ago. He pulled something in his back last night and that is hurting on top of everything else. Keep praying.
Kenya

TC
Hey, hey, hey

well sometimes

Postby TC » June 18th, 2003, 11:24 pm

I know something....but it could be said that is sorta rare.

did you get the update with the kendra pic?

Kenya

Postby Kenya » June 19th, 2003, 2:23 am

Yes, I got the email from Bubba last night. I had been wondering about Kendra.
Kenya

Billy n NC

Here in NC

Postby Billy n NC » June 22nd, 2003, 6:00 pm

We own our campground here in NC.

about 70 acres. When it was purchased it was in the boonies. Middle of nowhere but now it is in the city limits and housing has encroached completely around the campground.. with 170 to 250 K price homes.. we are about a mile away from a huge lake. I guess people like living near the lake.. There are some 300k+ homes not to far away.

It has onlyl begun to cramp our style in the past few years.. noise at nite etc But health and building codes are another matter..

It will only be a matter of time before we get pressured or regulated out.

I guess we will cross that bridge when it comes.

Actually one of the latest housing developments designed there streets with a dead in street butting up to our property. Not a circle but a dead end. I guess they imagine just pushing on through.

As far as our camps go..
We are Blessed.
We have 18 cabins that could pack in about 16-20 kids each . 4 bathhouses, A cafeteria that seats about 200 . A chapel that can seat over 800. (Camp Meeting, State meeting, Youth conventions etc.) two softball fields. a 5or6 acre lake. Swimming pool . outdoor pavillion snack shack and other misc buildings.

It cost $85 for our week long camps. Kids come in on Monday and leave on Saturday..
We have 6 camps with ages 4-35..

unoffical website.. http://www.ebroach.net/campmaranatha/

Billy n NC

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”