The good ol' days

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

REVIVAL, what is hindering us from revival?

God?
4%
Doctrine/Beliefs?
12%
Or just plain ol' US?
85%

Total votes: 26

Crystal
Needs a hobby

Re: Steady Growth

Postby Crystal » May 19th, 2003, 6:41 am

Billy n NC wrote:But who did it benefit...
Billy n NC

It benefited the people who had fought the fight every day. Trevailing in prayer for their friends and loved ones , praying for safety for their sons in war, believing got to multiply their meager wages.
You can only shout when you've won the victory. You can only win the victory when you have been in battle.
People were drawn to these churches just driving down the road. I've heard many stories about people standing in the windows to see and feel the power of God and to hear God's word. Multitudes have come to the Lord and delivered from sin in such revivals--but only after the battle was fought and won.
Our mothers and fathers did it, it our turn now.

darylscook
Hall Of Fame

Re: With all due respect, Jay...

Postby darylscook » May 19th, 2003, 6:52 am

Pastor Gary wrote:I'll take steady, consistent spiritual growth in my local church and my congregation over a zealous revival any time.

But that just my $.02

I'd like to have both. -- Steady, consistent spritual growth along with refreshing outpourting of God's spirit during zealous revival.

Pastor Daryl
Daryl S. Cook, Senior Pastor
Pearl Church
The Church of God of Prophecy
Pearl, MS

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Re: With all due respect, Jay...

Postby Pastor Bill » May 19th, 2003, 6:57 am

darylscook wrote:
Pastor Gary wrote:I'll take steady, consistent spiritual growth in my local church and my congregation over a zealous revival any time.

But that just my $.02

I'd like to have both. -- Steady, consistent spritual growth along with refreshing outpourting of God's spirit during zealous revival.

Pastor Daryl

AMEN!!

Unless they were faking it, those services were a RESULT of consistent spiritual growth. We need the refreshing that those services bring, we need the refreshing that revival brings, but we can only truely experience revival if we are steadily and consistantly growing in the Lord.

Let's not get so bitter about past mistakes and problems that we throw out the good in those services, but let's fix the problems and keep both.

I think the problem has come out of people trying to continue the shouting and fire without putting in the work and growth. I heard it preached one time that we are trying to live the minute rice version of Christianity, lots of heat and done in 5 minutes, but we need to be constantly and consistantly working for God, and when the fire comes it can refresh, and add to, not just flare up and be forgotten.

mercy
Needs Decaf

Postby mercy » May 19th, 2003, 8:24 am

Pastor G I could not agree more. Sometimes I wonder if what people often mistake as "being in revival" is really little more then "being in feel good".

PErhaps Pastor Jay you may want to consider putting forth an evangelistic vision in front of your church and challenging them to reach out to those they typically would not touch. And this may not make your people feel very good. Some may even question what you are doing. But what good is zeal or a great service if your church is not channeling that zeal into reaching the lost? Just some food for thought,

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Pastor Bill » May 19th, 2003, 8:53 am

mercy wrote:Pastor G I could not agree more. Sometimes I wonder if what people often mistake as "being in revival" is really little more then "being in feel good".

PErhaps Pastor Jay you may want to consider putting forth an evangelistic vision in front of your church and challenging them to reach out to those they typically would not touch. And this may not make your people feel very good. Some may even question what you are doing. But what good is zeal or a great service if your church is not channeling that zeal into reaching the lost? Just some food for thought,

Let's not assume that all these "old fasioned" revivals are not channelled or focused on God's work (which does, by the way, include more than just evangelism) I think Pastor Jay was refering to what many of us are also looking for which is the zeal for God's work, commitment and dedication that seem to be lacking today. The Word "Revival" means to bring back to life, and that IS needed in most churches. Pastor Gary's point that on going development is even more important is true, but that doesn't mean that is the only thing the church needs right now.

PastorJay
Needs a hobby

Postby PastorJay » May 19th, 2003, 9:30 am

I think Pastor Jay was refering to what many of us are also looking for which is the zeal for God's work, commitment and dedication that seem to be lacking today.

Bingo!!!

Being mis-understood has been the story of my life.

Pastor Jay
Just Jay

Don't shoot the messenger!

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Pastor Bill » May 20th, 2003, 3:11 am

Hey Pastor Jay, I understood you, I've been looking for the same thing here.

We started Revival last night, and the evangelist came in not knowing anyone in the church, but couldn't have hit things better if I'd have given him a list of our struggles and shortcomings.

IF we want to grow for God, we have got to get ahold of that zeal. we have got to dedicate ourselves to the work, we have got to commit ourselves to His service.

Kenya

Postby Kenya » May 20th, 2003, 3:59 am

I guess my question would be "what causes zeal and excitement"?

For me....

A quiet tug at my heart awakens me and nudges me to take heed.

A reminder of what He did for ME totally awes me to the point of absolute heart originated worship.

A passage of scripture read in a new way changes me and causes me to look at His purpose rather than my own.

An insightful book can challenge me and make me rethink my thoughts and behaviors.

All of these together give me an urgency for reaching the lost. The Holy Spirit living inside of me gives me a boldness to share what I have learned.

These things excite me and give me zeal for His cause much more than an emotionally active service. I think we all have different personalities and each of us are challenged and excited through our personality type. My spiritual food comes more from thought process, than from emotional stirring.
Kenya

I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing! Galatians 2:21

http://www.somersetcommunitymission.com

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Pastor Bill » May 20th, 2003, 5:02 am

Ah, but let's not assume an "emotionally active service" is all jumping and Shouting, Emotionally connecting with God in ANY FORM is what we are seeking, and what at times seems to be lacking more today that it was in the past (at least from what I have seen) I don't care how it is expressed, if we have a zeal for God, and really are touched by His presence THAT is revival. Unfortunatly many don't want to do the seeking, studying, and committing that we once did.

Kenya wrote:All of these together give me an urgency for reaching the lost. The Holy Spirit living inside of me gives me a boldness to share what I have learned.

Yes and Kenya, that is what we are looking for. I'd love to have a church full of people like you. It ain't all about jumping and shouting, but it's the real connection to God that we need, if that is expressed in a jump and shout, great, if it comes as a sweet peace that holds you so still you feel like you can't even move, that's great too, and anything in between, but if we don't get back the zeal, if we don't get back the desire to be in God's presence and under His annointing we will spiritually die.

Maybe I am over sensitive to it, and I am sure that other churches have people in this condition as well, but I can't stand to see people just dry up. I grew up in a church that was plain dead, and I won't go back to that type of Christianity, and I guess I just want that close personal walk for everyone and it hurts when I see people that are plain apathetic towards God, "well I got saved and I still attend church once in awhile" just doesn't cut it, we need more!

I guess I'm probably preaching to the choir here though.

Kenya

Postby Kenya » May 20th, 2003, 6:55 am

Pastor Bill wrote:Yes and Kenya, that is what we are looking for. I'd love to have a church full of people like you. It ain't all about jumping and shouting, but it's the real connection to God that we need, if that is expressed in a jump and shout, great, if it comes as a sweet peace that holds you so still you feel like you can't even move, that's great too, and anything in between, but if we don't get back the zeal, if we don't get back the desire to be in God's presence and under His annointing we will spiritually die.

Well, I told Joey that Berea wouldn't be too awful of a drive if something happened to our church. My dad warns me not to throw out the baby with the bathwater when it comes to this subject. I always thought that there was something wrong with me when I didn't get anything out of a jumping, shouting, screaming laying in the floor, jumping the pews, swinging from the chandelier service. It has caused me to be a little more skeptical than I should be and more negative. But, I have started to come full circle with the realization that people are just different. Some are more emotionally energized and that reflects in their personality. Some are more analytical like me and not as emotional in general. Now when I do get emotional, it cuts very deep. Maybe I am in the wrong place in a pentecostal church - or maybe I just give it balance. ??????
Kenya

I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing! Galatians 2:21

http://www.somersetcommunitymission.com

Brenda
I can see clearly now!

Postby Brenda » May 20th, 2003, 8:10 am

Bill[quotwhen I see people that are plain apathetic towards God, "well I got saved and I still attend church once in awhile" just doesn't cut it, we need more!
e][/quote]

May I step in here? :)

Amen!!
Don't you think Bill, that their living on dangerous grounds? What I mean is, people are so easily rocked into a spiritual sleep. Thinking they are alright. Wouldn't it seem to be they could be found wanting if the bride groom came? Makes me think of the ten virgins, where five were wise and five were foolish.
Another place it says, IF the righteous scarsely be saved where shall the ungodly and sinner appear? 1 Peter 4:18
In my estimation its going to take all we know to do, and do it. Being very serious about the Lord and our souls.

darylscook
Hall Of Fame

Postby darylscook » May 20th, 2003, 9:22 am

Pastor Bill wrote: but if we don't get back the zeal, if we don't get back the desire to be in God's presence and under His annointing we will spiritually die.

Maybe I am over sensitive to it, and I am sure that other churches have people in this condition as well, but I can't stand to see people just dry up. I grew up in a church that was plain dead, and I won't go back to that type of Christianity, and I guess I just want that close personal walk for everyone and it hurts when I see people that are plain apathetic towards God, "well I got saved and I still attend church once in awhile" just doesn't cut it, we need more!

I guess I'm probably preaching to the choir here though.

AMEN! Isn't that what the church of Ephesus was warned against. The spirit told them they were doing GREAT! but they had 1 sin against them. They did not love with the intensity that they did at first. Somehow! we have grown used to the idea that the zeal, excitement, and passion that you have for Christ right when you got saved is supposed to fade. And, that's normal. Well, God's word doesn't call it normal; It calls is SIN.

the church at Ephesus was told to repent of that very Sin; Last year I was called to repent of that sin.

All: Do you have the same zeal for Christ that you had when you first got saved?

Pastor Daryl
Daryl S. Cook, Senior Pastor

Pearl Church

The Church of God of Prophecy

Pearl, MS

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Too far?

Postby Pastor Gary » May 20th, 2003, 9:36 am

Kenya wrote:...Berea wouldn't be too awful of a drive if something happened to our church... Maybe I am in the wrong place in a pentecostal church - or maybe I just give it balance. ??????

Is Kaneohe Hawaii too far to drive? I have a whole church full of people like you, and want a bunch more. I only have a few people who crave the noise and fury of a "traditional" Pentecostal-style meeting -- most of the folks at WWC are moved in a less demonstrative way, but they are indeed moved.

I, too, have had times where I have asked "Am I in the wrong place in a pentecostal church??" but I have come to understand that much of the pentecostal church is in a wrong place and out of order, and I am right where God has called me and where He has placed me.

Wish you folks were here. (Hey, and a trumpet player, too...)
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Brenda
I can see clearly now!

Postby Brenda » May 20th, 2003, 9:47 am

Pastor Bill
We started Revival last night, and the evangelist came in not knowing anyone in the church, but couldn't have hit things better if I'd have given him a list of our struggles and shortcomings.

I could say thats funny but actually its not!!
I believe its HOW the Holy Ghost is working. Its what is NEEDED.

This very same thing happened a few weeks ago when Tony Russell was here holding our revival.
He said, the same thing... the pastor had not told him any of the things he was preaching that night. But you would of thought that he and the pastor had been going over a few things that the church had been going through. Or he had of been a fly on the wall. :lol:
The Trinity, The God head, knows just what is needed.
We don't need to blame the preacher or the evangelist for what he says, we need to line up with what the Lord is telling us, through his yeilded vessels.
Thats why it IS so important to be in the house of God. Those that are not there are missing out on a blessing of instructions.
How are they going to hear without a preacher? How are they going to hear if they don't go and hear the preacher?
Its very needful for us to be in the house of God, for thats where we get our strength. Thats where the annointed preaching of God's word is given out. There's a reason for the preached word.
I guess thats why one writter said, NOT to forsake the assembling of our selves together. He knew there would be some that would and he knew we would need to gather together.

I'll hush! :oops:

Firstson

OK, I'm confussed

Postby Firstson » May 20th, 2003, 10:03 am

OK, Pastor Gary and others, now I'm confussed. Years ago in BTI we were taught that the COGOP was not a Pentecostal Church since we did not teach the church started on the Day of Pentecost or that the Baptism of the Holy Ghost was the primary experience. Rather, we were taught that accepting Christ, that is the salvation experience, was primary and was the only experience requirement before one could be a member (of course I know the four exturnal requirement, but that's another subject). For the past decade our leaders have worked hard to dispell the notice that we are not part of the Pentecostal movement and that we should move towards a greater expression of the gifts of the Spirit and embrace the demonstration and power of the new revival movement. So which is it? The one we were not but now are, the one we were but now are not, the one we should have been but could not be, the we should be but are not yet, or are we somewhere between Brownsville and Baptist. Help, I need a label, so you guys choose one and stick to it or I'm going to get my BTI books out again.

Firstson

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”