Old Testament question

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Rascal
Needs a LIFE

Old Testament question

Postby Rascal » June 1st, 2015, 4:03 pm

We were discussing this at work. From the time of creation until the time of the children of Israel received the ten commandments. What method was used to let them know they were committing sin? How did they know? When they died, where did their soul go? What determined their destination? One answer was "In the Bosom of Abraham."

I think, not sure, there was a period of 400 years from creation to wondering in the wilderness and then receiving the ten commandments. Then the law became in effect. They were judged by the Law then until the crucifixation. The law was for the Jewish people and the temple was built and only the Jews had access to the temple, high priest and essentially forgiveness of sin. This means that only the Jewish people could be forgiven of sin. I guess we don't think about this very much in the New Testament age and how blessed we Gentiles are for Christ coming to redeam all the of us. Praise God for that!

But, where are all of these people who died before the law and were not Jews?

scooter
--== J2 ==--

Re: Old Testament question

Postby scooter » June 3rd, 2015, 5:13 am

In shorthand, every man is dealt a measure of faith and his life comes from God. You could equate that to a moral compass. That would tell you right from wrong. I think the scripture would say these did go to "Abraham's Bosom" or the resting place of the righteous dead. I look at Abraham's Bosom the same as paradice, as in "this day you will be with me" because before Christ ascended He first descended. That is described in one portion as preached to the souls in prison, led captivity, etc. It specifically mentions souls from Noah's era, if I'm not mistaken.

The way I gather it is that all who died before Christ were held by death but not torment. Jesus broke them free from death's legal grip or at least preached to them of the life eternal that he represented.
What we need here is a good revival! lol

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”