Angels unaware

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Phil Hoover
Hey, hey, hey

Angels unaware

Postby Phil Hoover » June 6th, 2013, 9:33 am

in your life? I keep reading the admonition to "always entertain strangers {show hospitality} because some are hosting angels, and aren't aware of it..."

Has this happened to you?

Tell us about it.
There is a ROCK between me and a hard place. His name is JESUS.

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » June 6th, 2013, 3:35 pm

Not that I am aware. 😀
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

Penny
I can see clearly now!

Postby Penny » July 25th, 2013, 5:27 pm

I fully Believe an angel came to my house to keep my kids safe untill I got home.

I went to see my sister at her house, the kids stayed home with their dad.

Lindsey was about 4 making Joseph about 1,

When I got home a few hours later I seen drinking Glasses on the back step. That told me something was not right.

When I went to unlock the door to go into my house, Jay would not let me in the house, he did not know who I was. After a few minutes I got into the house, Jay went to our room to bed,

Lindsey told me the lady took them into the house when daddy fell.
Lindsey told me the lady took them to the room and played games with them until I got home.

NO one came out of the house.

I had to take Jay to the hospital he had a seizure and he knew nothing of where he was who we were or anything.

I believe this lady was an angel who came to my house to keep my kids safe. At 4 and 1 it is hard telling what could have happened.

pastorables
--== J2 ==--

Postby pastorables » July 27th, 2013, 4:11 am

I think it happens many times without our immediate knowledge of a visitation, thus "entertaining angels unaware".

My uncle picked up a hitchhiker once that he later believed could have been an angel. The man spoke to him about various life lessons and then asked to be dropped off on the highway. No specific proof of heavenly visitation, but thought provoking life event.

I have a minister friend who absolutely received a visitation from an angel at a CoGoP he pastored many years ago. Awesome testimony. I don't remember enough of the details to share with justice, but I believe it happened in FL.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."Jim Elliot - Missionary Martyr

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » July 31st, 2013, 10:53 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3h-F0lars4

is it at all possible that these are images or videos of angels descending and ascending over Jerusalem?
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » July 31st, 2013, 10:57 am

there are other videos on you tube as well

one love
Woohoo!

Postby one love » August 2nd, 2013, 12:46 pm

Full Quiver wrote:there are other videos on you tube as well

They are apparently also spotting mermaids and offering a reward for a proof of a sighting.

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » August 5th, 2013, 2:54 am

Oh, so do you offer sarcasm to the story of David seeing an angel or the shepherds seeing angels, or Mary or Joseph or John?

I thought you believed the Word.

Maybe God changed and angels don't operate among us any longer. :roll:

beckrl
Woohoo!

Postby beckrl » August 6th, 2013, 1:23 pm

Folks lets learn the scriptures. "Let brotherly love remain; of the hospitality be not forgetful, for through this unawares certain did entertain messengers;"YLT [even the new kings james version dosn't get the correct translation of ἄγγελος ]

Messengers: one that has a word from God. Just becasue God might have used a stranger or a person that doesn't look like a minister, he just might be. No need to impose any supernatural being here.

Shellie
Site Admin

Postby Shellie » August 6th, 2013, 3:20 pm

No need to impose any supernatural being here.

No need to remove one either. :wink:
There never was a horse that couldn't be rode and there never was a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

pastorables
--== J2 ==--

Postby pastorables » August 6th, 2013, 4:57 pm

beckrl wrote:Folks lets learn the scriptures. "Let brotherly love remain; of the hospitality be not forgetful, for through this unawares certain did entertain messengers;"YLT [even the new kings james version dosn't get the correct translation of ἄγγελος ]

Messengers: one that has a word from God. Just becasue God might have used a stranger or a person that doesn't look like a minister, he just might be. No need to impose any supernatural being here.

Well, there's safety in the multitude of counselors and I've looked at around 20 transliterations which all interpret the text to be angels or heavenly visitors. :-`
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."Jim Elliot - Missionary Martyr

beckrl
Woohoo!

Postby beckrl » August 7th, 2013, 10:57 am

So I surpose that 197 times it was a supernatural being and only 7 time it was a person that was a messenger?!!!

The writer was saying that they should show love to thy 'neighbor' even if he is a stranger in the land. That even he might be a messenger [one who is sent ] carrying the word of God. The writer continues with the subject of brotherly love and said to remember those in bonds [slaves, prison ] as thy self being bound [a slave or in prison ]and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.

Here the writer is expressing love to a stranger, one in prison and one that is mistreated. There is no indication of Strong's G32 - ἄγγελος of being from heaven, but only a stranger in the land. Which more of an indication of being a messenger. It just that the translators had their own traditions and imputed them into the text. There was no reason to imput an supernatural being in that text as translating it as angel rather messenger.

For example another missed translation is found in 2 Peter 2:1-4. Peter said at the first that there was 'false prophets' among the people even shall be false teachers among you (v.1). He then said for God didn't spared those angels ~ messenger.

The same false prophets "messengers" that Peter said was in the old times among the peoples. (2 Peter 1:21 & 2:1) and not any supernatural angels.

pastorables
--== J2 ==--

Postby pastorables » August 7th, 2013, 2:44 pm

beckrl wrote:It just that the translators had their own traditions and imputed them into the text. There was no reason to imput an supernatural being in that text as translating it as angel rather messenger.

Sigh, I digress. :shrug2:

pastorables
--== J2 ==--

Speaking of angels

Postby pastorables » August 8th, 2013, 8:13 am

beckrl
Woohoo!

Postby beckrl » August 9th, 2013, 2:12 pm

The interpretation of the "messengers" as false teaches (rather than angelic beings) has support from 2 Peter:

2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

4 For if God spared not the angels [messengers] that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment; 5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly; 6 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

I highlighted the reference to Sodom and Gomorrha too because Jude used their destruction in his short epistle too. There are many connections between 2 Peter and Jude on this issue. What I'm saying in the cast of Hebrews is that angel should have been translated that of messenger given the connotation of one given to teach or prophesy rather than a supernatural being. That the stranger just might be a carrier of God's word a teacher or preacher. So love thy neighbor.

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”