GO Predictions

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Poimen
What's next?

GO Predictions

Postby Poimen » May 25th, 2013, 10:42 pm

I predict the elderly "statesman" will be tapped for GO -- Brother Varlack. Further, that he will serve a term of no more than 4 years. At that time some of the sitting presbyters may be considered.

That, or perhaps Wade Phillips will be called and ZACOG and COGOP will reunite.

No? Well then, I nominate Gerald Creasy.
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

"I wish a buck was still silver, it was back when the country was strong." -- The Hag

Rascal
Needs a LIFE

Postby Rascal » May 27th, 2013, 4:14 pm

I would not place a bet on it being Wade Phillips as he is already GO of the church. Why would he go backward?..........

Anyway, I really, seriously, look for it to be someone outside of the U.S. this tme. I think that the majority of the church membership is outside of the U. S. anyway. It only seems the most expected appointment now. Time will tell if it is the right appointment. I don't think it really matters who it is if he or she can execute the duties of the office.

paul
I can see clearly now!

Postby paul » May 27th, 2013, 6:00 pm

Just curious...I have been gone a long time from cogop. When did the change take place concerning women in ministry. I see a couple times that SHE has been mentioned as a posibility of being considred for the GO position.

I recall when I served as a DO ( many years ago) I would have to travel to a few churches with women pastors and conduct their business meeting, administer communion and foot washing service. Women could not have a voting voice in business meetings. I always thought that was not smart but that was the way it was. When did that change, I am assuming it did or no women could really fulfill the office of the GO.
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting
and preserving yourself.

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Women

Postby Pastor Gary » May 27th, 2013, 10:42 pm

paul wrote:Just curious...I have been gone a long time from cogop. When did the change take place concerning women in ministry. I see a couple times that SHE has been mentioned as a posibility of being considred for the GO position.

I recall when I served as a DO ( many years ago) I would have to travel to a few churches with women pastors and conduct their business meeting, administer communion and foot washing service. Women could not have a voting voice in business meetings. I always thought that was not smart but that was the way it was. When did that change, I am assuming it did or no women could really fulfill the office of the GO.

Paul, I don't recall right off-hand the date, but several Assemblies ago women in ministry had all the restrictions formerly imposed upon them removed, and they are equal in ministry status to male ministers... EXCEPT that (so far) the Office of Bishop is restricted to men only. That precludes a woman GO.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Poimen
What's next?

Postby Poimen » May 27th, 2013, 10:51 pm

Rascal wrote:I would not place a bet on it being Wade Phillips as he is already GO of the church. Why would he go backward?..........

Anyway, I really, seriously, look for it to be someone outside of the U.S. this tme. I think that the majority of the church membership is outside of the U. S. anyway. It only seems the most expected appointment now. Time will tell if it is the right appointment. I don't think it really matters who it is if he or she can execute the duties of the office.

I was obviously being facetious, and meant no offense to anyone. Just trying to solicit responses.

However, I was not aware before this post that ZACOG actually explicitly taught a form of exclusivity, or believed they were THE Bible church to the exclusion of all others. I had though their wording originally a bit vague on that, and open to inclusivity with the heritage of ZACOG/COGOP/COG being uniquely raised up for the purpose of propagating, and perhaps even facilitating (in some way) Christian unity. But (I thought) they had stopped short of actually declaring themselves to be the embodiment of NT Christianity, the only true bible church. I also thought Wade himself helped COGOP come to terms with the fact they were NOT the exclusive church???

Was I mistaken in either of those notions? Was WP not influential in causing COGOP to reconsider and renounce exclusivity as such? And has ZACOG always explicitly maintained they were "THE" church?
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

"I wish a buck was still silver, it was back when the country was strong." -- The Hag

Poimen
What's next?

You didn't say anything about Gerald.

Postby Poimen » May 27th, 2013, 10:52 pm

What about Gerald for GO though? We could resurrect the "eyebrow" avatar. It could become the official "seal" of the office of GO. 8)
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Pastor Bill » May 28th, 2013, 11:00 am

The change with Women voting in business meetings came in the GA in 2000, just before I came into the CoGoP, I remember because the CoG made the same change in 2002 I think. They changed to use the term "ordained" for all ministers in 2000 and we made that change in 2002. I remembered it because we were all coming in for some of the same things. while I was moving from one organization to the other.
"Why would God allow Hitler his chapter in history? Why would God send a whale to swallow Jonah or turn a woman into a pillar of salt? Surely there were other ways. But I'll leave the particular methods of God to God."
-Spoken by David Abraham, Showdown by Ted Dekker

Rascal
Needs a LIFE

Postby Rascal » May 30th, 2013, 4:00 pm

I am not sure ZCOG believes in exclusiveness but I too just through it out for response. Most of the splitoffs do.

For serious consideration though, Bishop Varlack would be a good choice if they are going with a senior person. He would reach across cultural lines.

A more younger candidate is Tim Coulter. A great choice who is highly qualified for the job.

I am sure there are many others who are qualified.

Faith rider
Needs a hobby

G.O.

Postby Faith rider » June 2nd, 2013, 9:47 am

Jeff Davis, NC state overseer would be a good one.
May your golf ball land in the greens not the still waters.

TonyT
Needs a hobby

Jeff Davis

Postby TonyT » June 2nd, 2013, 10:18 am

He preached in Eden, NC today and went to lunch with us - really enjoyed both.

TonyT

stevenson
I can see clearly now!

Postby stevenson » June 17th, 2013, 4:22 am

I know I'm not part of the organization anymore but I would like to see somebody outside the United States take the GO spot. The strength of the COGOP seems to be missions & reaching into areas that other organizations have not been as successful at. I would really look outside the United States.
"No, I am just telling you what the Word says" -Vestal Goodman

Oneway Ministries

one love
Woohoo!

Re: Women

Postby one love » July 6th, 2013, 4:30 am

Pastor Gary wrote:
paul wrote:Just curious...I have been gone a long time from cogop. When did the change take place concerning women in ministry. I see a couple times that SHE has been mentioned as a posibility of being considred for the GO position.

Paul, I don't recall right off-hand the date, but several Assemblies ago women in ministry had all the restrictions formerly imposed upon them removed, and they are equal in ministry status to male ministers... EXCEPT that (so far) the Office of Bishop is restricted to men only. That precludes a woman GO.

However a pastor, overseer and Bishop are one in the same...

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » July 10th, 2013, 9:02 am

Amen One Love, amen!
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

one love
Woohoo!

Postby one love » July 10th, 2013, 12:03 pm

Full Quiver wrote:Amen One Love, amen!

Full Quiver

I did about a one year study on this prior to last years assembly and it is just undeniable.

As a matter of fact Acts 20:28 proves it (interesting huh)

Chosen_Generation
Needs a hobby

Postby Chosen_Generation » August 4th, 2013, 3:39 pm

Does anyone have an update on the process? My pastor is in the dark.. and So i was just wondering.
"Jesus just saved your life.. Hallejur " - Madea

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”