G.O. Selection Process, Time-line, & Pastor Gary’s 10 QS

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

captaindw
Frequent Flyer

G.O. Selection Process, Time-line, & Pastor Gary’s 10 QS

Postby captaindw » May 6th, 2013, 2:13 pm

What is the formal process for selection of the new General Overseer? Is it outlined in any of the Assembly Minutes? Also, what is the time-line for all this?

Lastly, Pastor Gary, you had a list of “10 questions to ask the candidates for G.O” which I think you posted in Jude2 a long time ago? Did a search in Jude2 and the post is gone.

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Re: G.O. Selection Process, Time-line, & Pastor Gary’s 1

Postby Pastor Gary » May 6th, 2013, 2:32 pm

captaindw wrote:What is the formal process for selection of the new General Overseer? Is it outlined in any of the Assembly Minutes? Also, what is the time-line for all this?

The formal process is spelled out in a 27-page document titled "THE GOVERNANCE OF THE PRESBYTERY - Revisions approved by THE INTERNATIONAL PRESBYTERY for the Church of God of Prophecy July 25, 2010" I have a copy, as do all members of the International Presbytery charged with the responsibility for initiating the selection process.

Short version? "...in the event that a General Overseer resigns and is unable to fulfill his duties until the coming Assembly, the General Presbyters are commissioned to fulfill the duties of the Office of the General Overseer in plurality until a new General Overseer is selected and approved by the International Assembly... The document advises that the Assembly convene as soon as possible after the Office of the General Overseer has been vacated. It is the general consensus, after consultation with key leaders outside of the General Presbyters, that it would not be feasible for us to have an Assembly any earlier than the one that is already planned and contracted for July 30 – August 3, 2014."

Overseers in each area (State/Nation) should be asking their leaders, pastors and local churches to pray for discernment and wisdom as we move toward the installation of a successor next summer. I am asking my pastors to share their hearts and — if they have names to suggest — help me take a list of possible candidates to the meeting I will attend in Kuala Lumpur this month, at which we will submit names of potential General Overseers to be vetted.

I have a few names in mind, but I have no idea if they are front-runners. :)

captaindw wrote:Lastly, Pastor Gary, you had a list of “10 questions to ask the candidates for G.O” which I think you posted in Jude2 a long time ago? Did a search in Jude2 and the post is gone.

I seem to recall that, but have no clue where it went. This would be a great time to review that, wouldn't it? Some of you detectives track that for me.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

member in VA
Newcomer

Question

Postby member in VA » May 7th, 2013, 3:19 am

Was Randy Howard appointed for life? Will the next GO be appointed for life? I personally hope not! I would hope there would be term limits!

one love
Woohoo!

Re: Question

Postby one love » July 6th, 2013, 5:50 am

member in VA wrote:Was Randy Howard appointed for life? Will the next GO be appointed for life? I personally hope not! I would hope there would be term limits!

Interestingly enough I think the same thing should apply in TCOG. Maybe term limits isn't the best verbiage. However I would love to see who ever holds that office "step down" around every 3-5 years and then he could either be re-appointed or another selected. Pastors are re-appointed and so are state/regional overseers, why is this office any different?

one love
Woohoo!

Re: Question

Postby one love » July 6th, 2013, 5:54 am

member in VA wrote:Was Randy Howard appointed for life? Will the next GO be appointed for life? I personally hope not! I would hope there would be term limits!

I am not sure about Randy Howard since I am not a member of COGOP. However the "lifetime" appointment is really just a tradition that derived from the Holy Ghost message in regards to A.J. Tomlinson.

Would love others opinion on this. I thought the COGOP had already moved away from this?

germanshepherd
Needs a hobby

GO selection process

Postby germanshepherd » July 8th, 2013, 2:58 pm

The selection process is outlined in the Ministry Policy Manual for the COGOP. It details what the steps are leading up to the selection of a new GO. This Manual is available from the White Wing Bookstore at http://www.whitewingbooks.com/Ministry- ... p_248.html.
Equipping Individuals - Impacting The World

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » July 10th, 2013, 9:00 am

It's a lifetime appointment because the GO is Jesus in the flesh, right? He is the representative of Christ while Christ is away. :wink:

Like it or not that has been the mindset of this office.
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

one love
Woohoo!

Postby one love » July 10th, 2013, 12:01 pm

Full Quiver wrote:It's a lifetime appointment because the GO is Jesus in the flesh, right? He is the representative of Christ while Christ is away. :wink:

Like it or not that has been the mindset of this office.

Moses get it right :lol:

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » July 12th, 2013, 2:13 am

Moses was just a type or a shadow. The GO is the replacement for the Him since He "went away".
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

one love
Woohoo!

Postby one love » July 17th, 2013, 1:04 am

Full Quiver wrote:Moses was just a type or a shadow. The GO is the replacement for the Him since He "went away".

Thats close enough :lol: :? 8)

captaindw
Frequent Flyer

Postby captaindw » February 5th, 2014, 10:00 am

Searching my own blog, I found Pastor Gary's 10 questions from 2006. I translated them into Spanish, and now translated them back to English, so the grammar may not be good. Here they are, we could add a couple of new ones as well:

1. If you were chosen as General Overseer , which areas would focus or emphasis during the first two years of leadership ?

2. What are your main spiritual gifts? What are your passions?

3. During the past year, we can have an occasion where you were doing what you do best , and then get God?

4. If you could make a unique , structural, doctrinal , and cultural change in our body without worrying about the repercussions , what would change?

5. What is your position on the much discussed and debated future union between the Church of God of Prophecy and the Church of God Cleveland TN ?

6. Do you enjoy a hierarchy system , or you support more autonomy in local churches with a unit relate ?

7. Do you accept the plurality present in the leadership structure in which the General Presbytery has most of the authority of leadership, or you prefer an amendment that restores some authority in the office of General Supervisor ?

8. What books have you read recently that have influenced or impacted your leadership paradigm or schema ?

9. If each local congregation was liberated - no economic or other bond to have it re - as his leadership and vision hold together the organization?

10. General Supervisor How would you do to encourage , develop , train , and disciple a new generation of pastors and leaders to supplement and eventually be substituted for our present ministry advancing age ?

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”