COGOP Leadership Transition

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

COGOP Leadership Transition

Postby Pastor Gary » April 29th, 2013, 10:13 am

APRIL 29, 2013
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CHURCH OF GOD OF PROPHECY ANNOUNCES LEADERSHIP TRANSITION

On Friday, April 26, 2013, the General Presbyters of the Church of God of Prophecy received the resignation of Bishop Randall E. Howard, General Overseer. Bishop Howard, who had served the organization since 2006, is taking a ministry sabbatical for a season of spiritual renewal and to focus on personal issues within his family.

As Bishop Howard steps down, the seven General Presbyters, comprised of Bishops David Browder (Asia and Oceania), Sam Clements (North America), Clayton Endecott (Europe, the C.I.S., and the Middle East), Benjamin Feliz (Central America, Mexico, and Spanish-speaking Caribbean), Clayton Martin (Caribbean and Atlantic Ocean Isles), Stephen Masilela (Africa), and Gabriel Vidal (South America), will serve as a plurality of leadership. In accordance with church governance, a new general overseer will be nominated in an upcoming meeting of the International Presbytery, which will then be approved by the International Assembly, the highest decision-making body of the church.

Speaking for the presbyters, Bishop Clements showed support and appreciation for Bishop Howard’s leadership, which he said was “strategic and visionary” and had led the church through a period of growth. He added that Bishop Howard’s resignation is “absolutely not due to a moral failure.” After his ministry sabbatical, Bishop Howard said he looks forward “to new opportunities to serve the Church of God of Prophecy in her call to build God’s kingdom.”

About the Church of God of Prophecy
The Church of God of Prophecy—whose core values include prayer, the harvest (evangelism), and leadership development—is a vibrant, worldwide body of believers, united in worship, working hand-in-hand to share God’s love and a message of hope to the broken-hearted. The Church of God of Prophecy has over one-and-a-half million members, worshipping in over 10,000 churches and missions in 125 nations of the world. Nearly 90% of its global membership is outside of North America.

For more information, contact:

DeWayne Hamby
Director of Communications
Church of God of Prophecy International Offices
(423) 559-5128
dhamby@cogop.org
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Pastor Gary

99 readers but a response ain't 1

Postby Pastor Gary » April 29th, 2013, 3:34 pm

I am amazed... lots of reads/no responses. :shock:

Let's try this: With Bishop Howard out of office, and the remaining General Presbyters removing their names from consideration, who would YOU like to see in the role of General Overseer? (We are beginning the process of formulating that list over the coming weeks and months, and it would be interesting to see some names...)
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

jinjer
Hey, hey, hey

Postby jinjer » April 29th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Well, since I'm not a member, I felt I shouldn't make a reply. So, that may be the case with several on this board.

I've known the Howard's for many years. I will be in prayer for them personally, as well as COGOP as it's leadership moved forward.

Jinjer

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » April 29th, 2013, 4:30 pm

He may be 5 - 10 years too young, but I think Brian Sutton is someone who will one day serve in that role well.

I also think that there is no shame in Bishop Howard's stepping down. Shorter tenures as General Overseer are the norm now, and the Church of God has term limits anyway. Whatever is best for him is what I want to see.

I also think Gary Langley may be someone to be seriously considered, although I know he would probably pooh pooh the notion. :)
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

paul
I can see clearly now!

Postby paul » April 29th, 2013, 4:39 pm

As an Outsider, maybe now is the time for serious consideration for the Two groups ( COG & COGOP ) to truly come together. Sad that Billy Wilson was tapped for ORU, He would have been my choice.
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting
and preserving yourself.

scooter
--== J2 ==--

Let the games begin!

Postby scooter » April 29th, 2013, 5:03 pm

I think Tim Coalter would be great in that spot.
What we need here is a good revival! lol

Pastor Gary

You're right

Postby Pastor Gary » April 29th, 2013, 8:12 pm

dolfan wrote:He may be 5 - 10 years too young, but I think Brian Sutton is someone who will one day serve in that role well.

I like your thinking.

dolfan wrote:I also think Gary Langley may be someone to be seriously considered, although I know he would probably pooh pooh the notion. :)

pooh pooh.

Pastor Gary

Re: Let the games begin!

Postby Pastor Gary » April 29th, 2013, 8:13 pm

scooter wrote:I think Tim Coalter would be great in that spot.

A fine man, indeed.

Pastor Gary

Billy

Postby Pastor Gary » April 29th, 2013, 8:15 pm

paul wrote:As an Outsider, maybe now is the time for serious consideration for the Two groups ( COG & COGOP ) to truly come together. Sad that Billy Wilson was tapped for ORU, He would have been my choice.

Well, IMHO Billy made a strategic decision to jump ship and join COG prematurely. He might have been a serious contender this time had he stuck around. I am sure he is quite happy with his new role at ORU, though.

shaunmckinley
Regular

Hands Off

Postby shaunmckinley » April 30th, 2013, 2:28 am

Hands off my pastor, Brian Sutton. :D

germanshepherd
Needs a hobby

Finding a David

Postby germanshepherd » April 30th, 2013, 3:25 am

As we begin this prayerful process, may we be open to the possibility of finding a David. What I mean by that is someone that is serving in the field, unassuming of a position, and unaware that God may be calling his name for such a time. I am not saying that anyone mentioned is not a David as most of these are friends of mine and men of God that are capable of following His calling. But, just maybe it will be someone the "world of COGOP" does not know too well that God is calling from the field to come and walk in the anointing of this position.
Equipping Individuals - Impacting The World

free
The 1,000 Club

Postby free » April 30th, 2013, 4:09 am

I think some people feel this is still too fresh to begin talking about a replacement although I know the process must begin.

I would hope some serious consideration would be given to the idea of term limits for the General Overseer as well as the General Presbyters. I know that they currently serve four years at at time (I think) and then get reelected by the men who serve under them but a term of 4/6/8 years should be the limit IMHO.

The person elected will need a world view that stretches outside of the southern United States--Tim Coalter and Brian Sutton are wonderful men of God but I'm not sure how big their world view is.

I'd personally like to see someone from outside of Cleveland get the position--there are many qualified men in this organization besides those who pastor Peerless Roads--again, IMHO.

The reality is that whoever gets elected has little to no influence on my local church--we will continue to do what we're doing no matter who is "running" things in Cleveland, TN--time is short and people are dying and going to hell around us every day!
It's harder to kidnap fat people!

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » April 30th, 2013, 7:23 am

I wish I had not complimented him in this way, now. No way did I want people to pass on Brian Sutton for the role. I have a lot of respect for the man. His family lives here where I do. His dad has been a regular customer in our store. He is true. He is a fine leader as a pastor. I am not a COGOP member so I have no say. But please don't say all the reasons why he should or shouldn't be the GO. I mentioned him as a future possibility because I see the hand of God in His life. And, with the tenures shrinking, seems to me it is not the "career move" some still think of it as being. It is a huge burden of service that no one in their right mind would want as a matter of desire. It is a huge opportunity of service that a Christ-loving, God anointed servant-leader would undertake. If I see that in Brian Sutton's life and ministry, it is only natural to say he would serve the role well one of these years. But, he barely knows me and didn't ask for me to bring up his name here. I only meant well by it and I'm sorry I brought it up.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Postby dawgs10 » April 30th, 2013, 7:52 am

Tim Coalter. I'll go with that...To be honest i had not thought of him but sounds good.

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Re: Billy

Postby dawgs10 » April 30th, 2013, 7:57 am

Pastor Gary wrote:
paul wrote:As an Outsider, maybe now is the time for serious consideration for the Two groups ( COG & COGOP ) to truly come together. Sad that Billy Wilson was tapped for ORU, He would have been my choice.

Well, IMHO Billy made a strategic decision to jump ship and join COG prematurely. He might have been a serious contender this time had he stuck around. I am sure he is quite happy with his new role at ORU, though.

Not sure you can claim Billy "jumped ship". I think it was more like forced to walk the plank.

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”