COGOP Leadership Transition

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

member in VA
Newcomer

COGOP

Postby member in VA » May 7th, 2013, 3:07 am

I love COGOP and I have been a member for many years. We have pastored and enjoyed the people and the rich colorful history of this wonderful church. We are saddened that so many of our friends in our age bracket (mid 50's) are leaving. The attendance as a whole in at least the SE part of the USA seems to be on the decline. Maybe it is just attendance at Assemblies and state conventions that make me feel this way. Maybe it is really increasing.. my local church attendance is large. BUT the name and "brand loyalty" is not there. I don't know what the answer is, but I know something has got to change.... I am very discouraged with the organization....no we won't leave where would we go.....this is our family and family sticks together.

darylscook
Hall Of Fame

Re: Hey wait

Postby darylscook » May 7th, 2013, 7:55 am

scooter wrote:Hey wait! Where's the long haired guy from Georgia? :lol: 8)

LOL, I wondered about him too!
Daryl S. Cook, Senior Pastor
Pearl Church
The Church of God of Prophecy
Pearl, MS

Chosen_Generation
Needs a hobby

Postby Chosen_Generation » May 7th, 2013, 8:12 am

he's probably preparing his annual address in the event that the next assembly brings him in his "rightful place" . I wonder if his beard is still growing since the assembly continues to "reject his annointing"
"Jesus just saved your life.. Hallejur " - Madea

scooter
--== J2 ==--

Postby scooter » May 7th, 2013, 8:16 am

Chosen_Generation wrote:he's probably preparing his annual address in the event that the next assembly brings him in his "rightful place" . I wonder if his beard is still growing since the assembly continues to "reject his annointing"

Response: Well at least we will see if he is a man of his word. 8)
What we need here is a good revival! lol

paul
I can see clearly now!

Postby paul » May 7th, 2013, 10:30 am

Rascal wrote: Most men when they get 55+ start thinking about retirement. I agree that they have wisdon that is very much needed in leadership. But in this changing world, that seems to not be valued much anymore.

Gary Langley wrote:Well, interesting. I became an Overser at 52, went back to Seminary at age 58 and got my Masters at age 62. I kind of "replanted" the church I lead 5 years ago, and the demographic in the congregation is heavily skewed young... average age is around 28-35.

Rascal wrote: All the pastors in this area are 55+

Paul Writes:I was 50 when nancy and I launched World Mission Outreach Fellowship. We now have 31 bible college campuses in 8 nations and more than 1,000 churches planted, we are in the process of building hub facilities in 4 nations. I am 66 and will receive my earned Doctroate this June. I do not see any retirement in the near future. I still have several offeres each year asking me to Pastor, some are very large churches. At 55+ you are just hitting your stride. As with PG most all our pastors are between the ages of 25+ to 36
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting
and preserving yourself.

Rascal
Needs a LIFE

Postby Rascal » May 7th, 2013, 10:59 am

Thank you for enlightening me on the age issue. I am 59 myself and plan to retire in 5 years. I think about it every morning at 5:30 A.M. I am not a minister and my job is not a "calling" I have served as SS Superintendent at our local church for many years until we suspended SS. I was blessed to go on 3 Youth Mission Teams in the 70's, one with Elva Howard. I can tell you that these arms of GH were wonderful in their day. That is why I don't want to see GH get any smaller. Those were some great opportunities that not every local church can offer.

You guys are to be commended for what you are doing in your 50's. I know it can be done and I am appreciative for all our ministers no matter their age. Please understand I am not being critical of your service. I am just spectulating out loud about things I see. Some would call this gossip, I like to refer to it as spectulative thinking.

It is true that I do not know the numbers of our finances, just what I hear living this close to Cleveland. Nothing would please me more than to know we would have a great "Homecoming" and all these split-offs over the last 20 years would reunite. None have done well and as always, it was a big mistake and costly for all involved. I know of one road in KY that has 5 different COG's all within 5 miles all because of the splits.

The nation needs another Billy Grahm to come forth. I long for the day one of our ministers could come forth and be that person. It takes us all working togather to get things done in this world. I pray that will happen in my lifetime.

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Re: COGOP

Postby Pastor Gary » May 7th, 2013, 11:02 am

member in VA wrote:I love COGOP and I have been a member for many years. We have pastored and enjoyed the people and the rich colorful history of this wonderful church. We are saddened that so many of our friends in our age bracket (mid 50's) are leaving.

Are they leaving COGOP for other churches, leaving their faith entirely, or what? To what do you attribute this?

member in VA wrote:The attendance as a whole in at least the SE part of the USA seems to be on the decline. Maybe it is just attendance at Assemblies and state conventions that make me feel this way.

As the primacy of the local church increases attendance at conventions and assemblies decreases. There was once a time when people planned their work vacations around week long conventions and assemblies, and looked forward to them to hear dynamic preaching and good music. We can get that now at many of our local churches, on cable and at the click of a mouse. Frankly, I enjoy the music of my local church worship band as much as/more than anything I hear at an Assembly.

member in VA wrote:Maybe it is really increasing.. my local church attendance is large. BUT the name and "brand loyalty" is not there. I don't know what the answer is, but I know something has got to change.... I am very discouraged with the organization....no we won't leave where would we go.....this is our family and family sticks together.

I have been where you are (discouraged with the organization) many times in the past, but I have chosen to work for improvement and change where needed. I hope you will, too.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Postby dawgs10 » May 8th, 2013, 5:09 am

Gary and Paul are not the norm. very few ministers have the energy and vision they have in their fifties or sixties. Many older ministers are just hanging on. There is a gap between age groups in COGOP. I feel I got a late start....37 and serving as a Assoc. Pastor. (by choice). I have a real desire to see younger ministers...30-45 in leadership roles. Of course I want the right men for the positions regardless of age. But many young men are in management in the business world sooner than in the church. Either you a leader or not. Don't know if age has much to do with that.

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Postby dawgs10 » May 8th, 2013, 5:15 am

I agree completely with Gary when speaking of the local church. If our local church bodies were vibrant growing congregations there would be less need for "conventions", women's weekends, and so on. As a whole people would be receiving that at their local church. I also would rather attend my local church than a SC or Assembly service. We are very blessed.

paul
I can see clearly now!

Postby paul » May 8th, 2013, 6:52 am

dawgs10 wrote:Gary and Paul are not the norm. very few ministers have the energy and vision they have in their fifties or sixties. Many older ministers are just hanging on. There is a gap between age groups in COGOP. I feel I got a late start....37 and serving as a Assoc. Pastor. (by choice). I have a real desire to see younger ministers...30-45 in leadership roles. Of course I want the right men for the positions regardless of age. But many young men are in management in the business world sooner than in the church. Either you a leader or not. Don't know if age has much to do with that.

I'll take that as a compliment :lol: But in your second post you mentioned what PG said about vibrant local churches. Maybe the more important question would be not who will lead the organization but what direction will International Headquarters takes from this point on. To direct themselves more as a resource center and see their role as faciliators/partner role (not that they are not doing that to some degree) or continue in a Parental role.
Again I am speaking from the outside....Although I've been gone for many years, my love for the cogop has never diminished.
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting

and preserving yourself.

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Pastor Bill » May 8th, 2013, 7:54 am

dawgs10 wrote:Gary and Paul are not the norm. very few ministers have the energy and vision they have in their fifties or sixties. Many older ministers are just hanging on. There is a gap between age groups in COGOP. I feel I got a late start....37 and serving as a Assoc. Pastor. (by choice). I have a real desire to see younger ministers...30-45 in leadership roles. Of course I want the right men for the positions regardless of age. But many young men are in management in the business world sooner than in the church. Either you a leader or not. Don't know if age has much to do with that.

Not neccesarily, I was a pastor for 8 years, and now server under a pastor who is nearing 70 but his vision and energy for the local church are an example. He is a leader in our state (CoGoP), and in our community (Across denominations). Me in my 30s with 8 years of pastoral experience have never been the pastor he is, and I am thankful for this time that I can serve under him learning and growing as I walk with him in our vision for the local church.

We NEED these leaders, and we NEED to support these leaders, because yes physical strength, energy, etc. diminish as the years go by, but in God's work, under His anointing and guidance, it's His strength and power, not our own.

Anyone who had the privilege to meet Alva Wilson can testify that God still provides the energy, vision and power well beyond age 55.
"Why would God allow Hitler his chapter in history? Why would God send a whale to swallow Jonah or turn a woman into a pillar of salt? Surely there were other ways. But I'll leave the particular methods of God to God."
-Spoken by David Abraham, Showdown by Ted Dekker

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Pastor Bill » May 8th, 2013, 7:57 am

dawgs10 wrote:I agree completely with Gary when speaking of the local church. If our local church bodies were vibrant growing congregations there would be less need for "conventions", women's weekends, and so on. As a whole people would be receiving that at their local church. I also would rather attend my local church than a SC or Assembly service. We are very blessed.

I think Assemblies, conventions, camps and retreats have their place, and can be a great additional ministry. I don't think Gary is speaking against those things, but if they become the main focus, we're dooming the local church to fail.
"Why would God allow Hitler his chapter in history? Why would God send a whale to swallow Jonah or turn a woman into a pillar of salt? Surely there were other ways. But I'll leave the particular methods of God to God."

-Spoken by David Abraham, Showdown by Ted Dekker

Billy n NC

Postby Billy n NC » May 8th, 2013, 8:29 am

I do not remember the year.. 2004 or 2006 maybe longer. The General Assembly theme that year was "Local Vibrant Churches" . Local churches were given the Get Out of the Rhut Pass. You do not have to wait on ministry direction for your local churches.

For years and years pastors would come to the IGA and get a packet of info. But it was that year "Local Vibrant Churches" was told that HQ's could not nor should not be the driving force for direction that a local church should go.

What works at church's in the SouthEast may not work in the NorthWest.

Some pastors grabbed the pass and have become healthy local churches.. Some have not. Thus some are getting smaller if not closing.
Billy Broach
Ebroach Services
http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/

Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes

Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Postby dawgs10 » May 8th, 2013, 8:50 am

I completely agree with you Paul.

paul wrote:

I'll take that as a compliment :lol: But in your second post you mentioned what PG said about vibrant local churches. Maybe the more important question would be not who will lead the organization but what direction will International Headquarters takes from this point on. To direct themselves more as a resource center and see their role as faciliators/partner role (not that they are not doing that to some degree) or continue in a Parental role.
Again I am speaking from the outside....Although I've been gone for many years, my love for the cogop has never diminished.

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

A more mature COGOP

Postby Pastor Gary » June 20th, 2013, 10:05 pm

I think it speaks to the maturity of the new COGOP that there is not a lot of hand-wringing and worry about the General Overseer selection process.

In decades past, this transition might have been viewed as a crisis, but with increasing plurality of leadership, stronger local churches involved in community and international missions, the selection is important but not urgent.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”