The Mayan Long Count Calendar

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

TW
Established Member

The Mayan Long Count Calendar

Postby TW » December 19th, 2012, 10:53 am

While surfing the net this morning I came across another article on the Mayan Calendar. It was actually a very good article, well written and factual. I wanted to make a short post on Facebook but deceided to double check my facts before doing so. In my search for more information I came accross a web site (judgementday2011.com) which claims to be a Christian site. This intrigued me so I started reading the article posted by their administrator. For the most part he seems to have bought into December 21, 2012 being doomsday. here is an excerpt from the article. I only agree with a few of the lines that he has written and I will highlight them in red.

While there is solid scientific evidence that December 21st will bring about great change on Earth, you can be sure that Jesus wouldn’t allow his true believers to suffer through the apocalypse. Religious scholars are suggesting that Jesus will return to Earth on or before December 21st to save the chosen ones in the Rapture, sparing them from the destruction that is about to occur. Do you want to be saved in the Rapture?

If you answered “yes,” then you need to truly accept Jesus as your savior and let God into your heart. Pray every hour, spend the remainder of your days on earth living God’s will. December 21st 2012 isn’t just a hoax that we can ignore. Stop reading this – go pray.

My personal belief is that it is only the end of the calendar, as December 31 is the end of our calendar, and the next day will start a new calendar.

TW
Anglo-Saxon Proto-English Manuscripts (995 AD): “God lufode middan-eard swa, dat he seade his an-cennedan sunu, dat nan ne forweorde de on hine gely ac habbe dat ece lif."

My blog - http://theoldman.wordpress.com/

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » December 20th, 2012, 4:03 am

I believe they ran out of space on the rock
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

pastorables
--== J2 ==--

Re: The Mayan Long Count Calendar

Postby pastorables » December 20th, 2012, 4:14 am

TW wrote:here is an excerpt from the article. I only agree with a few of the lines that he has written and I will highlight them in red.

you can be sure that Jesus wouldn’t allow his true believers to suffer through the apocalypse.

He obviously hasn't spent much time on the subject. To the contrary, I believe that true believers will suffer much tribulation worldwide (just as the early church age suffered). I wonder what the underlying history is concerning the "superiority complex" embraced by the modern church.

pa
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."Jim Elliot - Missionary Martyr

RamboPreacher
RamboPreacher

Postby RamboPreacher » December 20th, 2012, 10:02 am

The calendar is a gear-meshing, circular-reference genius, masterpiece, but is not continuous. a new one with new names for the long counts would have had to be established had the culture been still viable at this time. the calendar itself predicts no such calamity/Apocalypse. other glyphs reference events, but is still interpretive in nature. it wasn't till the last half of last century that we could even make out the glyphs, let alone try to "read" them in any kind of coherent way.

bottom line - the calendar is a calendar. it cycled out of use, and a new one would have been made as we do yearly.

mi dos centavos
Thanks, Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”