Teens and the Internet

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Jeremy Gault
Respect my authoritei!

Proxy?

Postby Jeremy Gault » January 17th, 2013, 11:28 am

Not to bump an old thread, but I just saw this...

If you want to be a bit covert about it, and have a fair bit of networking and computer skills, you could always set up a proxy server. An old PC with two network cards, a copy of pfSense, and a decent-sized hard drive could probably do what you want.

Squid proxy server (runs on Linux and BSD), set their browsers up to use Squid, and off you go. It keeps logs that you can look at later. If you get fancy with your firewall, you can force them to use Squid (block their computer from making outgoing port 80 connections), or get even sneaker and have your firewall work along with Squid to do transparent proxying.

We used to do this at WinWorld (browser proxy settings + transparent proxy for things that weren't set up/couldn't use proxy servers) and it kept tabs on the general populus of the workforce quite nicely. Then you get into ACLs and block stuff like Facebook to increase productivity and revenue. :)

Penny
I can see clearly now!

Postby Penny » March 5th, 2013, 4:21 pm

have the kids been good on line>

PastorDaniel
Hey, hey, hey

Postby PastorDaniel » March 10th, 2013, 11:31 pm

Billy, I fostered children in Georgia. And my understanding is that there is no such thing as internet privacy for a foster child or any child for that matter. It is different if they are 18.

But spying saved me once...we had a 14 year old girl that had some real problems. She constantly left her online blogging diary open on our computer. I usually didn't read it...but the one time I did and it contained some very negative statements and accusations about me. I printed them all and gave straight to the caseworker. They thanked me and told me to turn in anything else I ran across.

In other words...or caseworkers expected us to spy like this....
Pastor Daniel :D

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”