High Maintenance members

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

High Maintenance members

Postby Pastor Gary » October 8th, 2012, 10:34 am

The other day I got a lot of response on Facebook (not all good) for teasing that I might change my message title to "High Maintenance Members." I think it might be fun to make a Jeff Foxworthy type list of "You might be a High Maintenance Member if..."

Pastors especially, want to help me play? Make a separate post reply for each one!
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Pastor Gary

High Maintenence

Postby Pastor Gary » October 8th, 2012, 10:35 am

If you call the pastor every time you need somebody's phone number because you're too lazy to keep your own list, you might be a high maintenance member.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

Pastor Gary

HMM

Postby Pastor Gary » October 8th, 2012, 11:25 am

If you get discouraged and skip church unless the pastor calls or visits you every single week, you might be a high maintenance member.

Pastor Gary

HMM

Postby Pastor Gary » October 8th, 2012, 11:27 am

If you never tithe, give or serve, but you get offended when the pastor honors others who do, you might be a high maintenance member.

Pastor Gary

HMM

Postby Pastor Gary » October 8th, 2012, 2:13 pm

If your pastor gets more than one call a week from another member because you have stirred up some drama... again, you might be a high maintenance member.

Faith rider
Needs a hobby

High maintenance. member

Postby Faith rider » October 8th, 2012, 3:06 pm

If you think the pastor makes to much money, you might be a high maintenance member.
May your golf ball land in the greens not the still waters.

Rascal
Needs a LIFE

Postby Rascal » October 8th, 2012, 5:00 pm

There is some humor in this type of thread but I think there is some truth in these. It can be a venting tool for pastors to express their real feelings while doing it in a humorus way. I have always wondered if pastors get in their conventions and talk about us members. (Ministers would not do something like that) Share common hurdles that you face at every church. We (members) don't always give you a smooth path. I understand that some of us are just down right mean and antagonistic. A problem. I think this is just human nature and we will always have this rebellion of such with us until the rapture. I would like to think that someday we could see each other as on the same team. Not an antagonistic relationship. Just think, what we could accomplish at each local church if we could overcome this. It is a challenge for the pastor in any denomination. I hear it at the babticostal church where I attend.
I would think that I have a high maintenance pastor if he called me every time I was absent. LOL

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Pastor Bill » October 9th, 2012, 5:46 am

Just curious, why would it be a high maintenance pastor if they called everytime you missed?

I had members who really expected this.

My pastor knows if I'm not going to be there, including where I am and why I'm gone. If I miss and he didn't know about it, he assumes I'm sick or something and calls to check on me.

This is relationship, not high maintenance, and it's a good thing.

Sometimes we slip into the notion that church is like school where we HAVE to be there and are marked ABSENT when we miss, or we view it like a club or party, where we drop in when we want, and there are no requirements. Both of these are a different mentality than where the church should be. We need to be connected in relationship with one another, a friend you don't see when you expect to, you miss and want to check on. You are a part of one another's lives so that you know what is going on and are holding one another up in prayer. (Hey Bill's travelling this week with work, keep him in prayer that it'll be a safe and productive trip). It isn't about control, and it isn't about attendance, it's about relationship.
"Why would God allow Hitler his chapter in history? Why would God send a whale to swallow Jonah or turn a woman into a pillar of salt? Surely there were other ways. But I'll leave the particular methods of God to God."
-Spoken by David Abraham, Showdown by Ted Dekker

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » October 9th, 2012, 7:26 am

If your pastor moves to a different church in a different city, and you move there, too -- you might be a HMM.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

Pastor Gary

HEY -

Postby Pastor Gary » October 9th, 2012, 9:22 am

If you folks want to have a side discussion, go start your own thread! :lol:

(Trying to get Christians to follow directions is like herding cats...)

If you can't follow the simple instructions of the leader and, instead, launch off in your own direction, you might be a high maintenance member. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RamboPreacher
RamboPreacher

Postby RamboPreacher » October 9th, 2012, 4:37 pm

if you gather your friends and stare at the cobweb hanging off the light fixture in the vestibule and discuss at lengthen why the pastor or his wife hasn't cleaned that off yet (though any one of you might just wipe your hand across and remove it) - you might be a HMM.
Thanks, Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling

pastorables
--== J2 ==--

Postby pastorables » October 9th, 2012, 4:53 pm

If you visit the parsonage to take a shower, you might be a HMM. :)
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."Jim Elliot - Missionary Martyr

scooter
--== J2 ==--

Pastor

Postby scooter » October 10th, 2012, 3:36 am

Pastor I really enjoyed your message but...... :lol: 8)
What we need here is a good revival! lol

pastorables
--== J2 ==--

Postby pastorables » October 10th, 2012, 6:53 am

If you actually keep count of handshakes from the pastor, you might be a HMM. :wink:
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."Jim Elliot - Missionary Martyr

RamboPreacher
RamboPreacher

Postby RamboPreacher » October 10th, 2012, 5:02 pm

oh, oh - if you are actually offended if the pastor doesn't push their way and specifically shake your hand after service, you might be a HMM.

if you leave your mobile phone on full-ring, and take any call furring the middle of the message, and interrupt the people in your row talking on that call, you might be a HMM...

if you are always wondering what am I getting out of this service, and why doesn't the pastor teach anything to me, you might be HMM...
Thanks, Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”