Membership Class?

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Membership Class?

Postby Pastor Gary » August 29th, 2012, 11:39 pm

Any COGOP folks have a pre-covenant membership class? A one-time event, or a series? I'm interested in the format.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Shellie
Site Admin

Postby Shellie » August 30th, 2012, 1:03 am

We do. Scott meets with them during our normal "Sunday School" time. (We call that hour Christian Education.)

He goes over the basic tenants of the faith and make sure they all understand. He also includes tithing, gifts of the Spirit, and etc.
There never was a horse that couldn't be rode and there never was a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

Billy n NC

Postby Billy n NC » August 30th, 2012, 2:52 am

We do also here at Bridge of Hope. Well the Pastor does. and its also during Christian Education time (10:00). Usually its 5 Sundays.

As far as the material goes not sure on that.

I know he uses DVD/TV for a couple of the classes.

His name is George McLaughlin and here is his email

gmclaughlin AT triad.rr.com

He is also Facebook.
Billy Broach
Ebroach Services
http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/

Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes

Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » August 30th, 2012, 4:24 am

We aren't CoGoP but we have 2 classes that folks have went through to get into ministry. Both were 12 week courses offered on Wednesday nights. Membership did not require a class.

Now we are moving to the Highlands model where we will have Sunday evening classes instead which will make it possible for personal evaluation and spring boarding folks into ministry.

Pastor realized that Billy Graham couldn't get into ministry at Cornerstone due to our process. hahahaha

Lot's of restructuring on the way based on the Highlands model.
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Central Community Church

Postby dawgs10 » August 30th, 2012, 4:42 am

I teach the foundations course at Triple C. You must complete the course which takes 4 to 6 weeks depending on your background and knowledge of the Church before you can become a member. It has worked well and we add members reg. We also promote the class for new converts. The class is offered during Sunday School.

rev rick
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...

Postby rev rick » August 30th, 2012, 7:47 am

The Book of Acts say they added dailey.must have taught them later?
IN CHRIST MERCY and GRACE
Rev Rick in the Zoo

~~~~~~\} Sword of the Spirit
@##### ]:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
~~~~~~/]Use it Daily!

TW
Established Member

Postby TW » August 30th, 2012, 10:06 am

rev rick wrote:The Book of Acts say they added dailey.must have taught them later?

That was before denominations and their individual interpretations of the word.

TW
Anglo-Saxon Proto-English Manuscripts (995 AD): “God lufode middan-eard swa, dat he seade his an-cennedan sunu, dat nan ne forweorde de on hine gely ac habbe dat ece lif."

My blog - http://theoldman.wordpress.com/

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Postby dawgs10 » August 30th, 2012, 10:32 am

They were not joining a "church". They were joining the "Church". It's good to know the foundation of a denomination before you become a member.

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Great

Postby Pastor Gary » August 30th, 2012, 11:11 am

Which brings up a great discussion point: I am (personally) not in favor of a mandatory class before membership. I much prefer offering a class for those who want/need it, but allowing some freedom for the Lord to spontaneously move on someone who decides to join without a class.

We have scheduled Membership Days when I knew of 4 people wanting to join, and ended up taking in 10. It happens, and I don't want to get in the way of that. Having said that, some people have legitimate questions and reservations best addressed in a smaller group setting where they feel safe to ask questions, and I think we can provide that.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

oletimer
Da Bomb!

Postby oletimer » August 31st, 2012, 10:59 am

Ac 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
God Bless

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Postby dawgs10 » August 31st, 2012, 11:21 am

It's shocking to me that we are on the sides we are on with this one Pastor Gary. I do not not think memebership should be spontaneous. Membership should be thought through carefully And one should be aware of all major teaching. Especially in an area of the country where eternal salvation is so prominent. We need to take our time.

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Postby dawgs10 » August 31st, 2012, 11:23 am

It also is a legal matter as well. Background checks are very important to if they plan to work in certain areas of church.

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Pastor Bill » August 31st, 2012, 1:12 pm

What about those that area already in and involved in the church? but haven't taken the class. I like the voluntary option, I think it's a good thing to do, but also not to put a bunch of hoops for people to jump through either. Some may not be comfortable in a small group setting, but love the web and have researched more about our organization than most of the ones who have been there for years, should that hold them back from joining?

There is nothing saying some won't join, then take the class, or take the class after being members for years, and that's OK.

For those pointing out the "added daily" scripture, the most important thing to remember is there is a difference in joining THE CHURCH and joining a local CoGoP.
"Why would God allow Hitler his chapter in history? Why would God send a whale to swallow Jonah or turn a woman into a pillar of salt? Surely there were other ways. But I'll leave the particular methods of God to God."
-Spoken by David Abraham, Showdown by Ted Dekker

TW
Established Member

Postby TW » August 31st, 2012, 1:48 pm

dawgs10 wrote:It's shocking to me that we are on the sides we are on with this one Pastor Gary. I do not not think memebership should be spontaneous. Membership should be thought through carefully And one should be aware of all major teaching. Especially in an area of the country where eternal salvation is so prominent. We need to take our time.

So now we have to add membership classes to the laundry list of things we must do in order for God to grant us salvation.

TW
Anglo-Saxon Proto-English Manuscripts (995 AD): “God lufode middan-eard swa, dat he seade his an-cennedan sunu, dat nan ne forweorde de on hine gely ac habbe dat ece lif."

My blog - http://theoldman.wordpress.com/

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Postby dawgs10 » August 31st, 2012, 2:32 pm

That's not what I said TW. Joining a church is
Commitment and should be a bigger deal than" ok, who
Wants to
John up"...

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”