Membership Class?

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Postby dawgs10 » August 31st, 2012, 2:35 pm

Im going to side on the educational side of this one.

rev rick
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...

Postby rev rick » August 31st, 2012, 3:02 pm

wow i thought the Bible was plain.
IN CHRIST MERCY and GRACE
Rev Rick in the Zoo

~~~~~~\} Sword of the Spirit
@##### ]:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
~~~~~~/]Use it Daily!

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Postby dawgs10 » August 31st, 2012, 3:39 pm

Rev. Rick. The scripture you continue quoting is about being saved. Not joining a local COGOP.

rev rick
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...

Postby rev rick » August 31st, 2012, 3:56 pm

What scripture are you .........never mind.

Rev Rick in the Zoo

~~~~~~/]Use it Daily!

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

So...

Postby Pastor Gary » August 31st, 2012, 4:33 pm

dawgs10 wrote:Im going to side on the educational side of this one.

So, you have never encountered someone who already knows the history and doctrinal essentials of your church, but never joined, and during a moment of being Spirit-led they decided that this was the moment to make a commitment?

I have.

Do you also tell people to wait to be baptized until they have taken a baptism class and fully understand that?
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

oletimer
Da Bomb!

Postby oletimer » August 31st, 2012, 5:28 pm

dawgs10 wrote

Rev. Rick. The scripture you continue quoting is about being saved. Not joining a local COGOP.

I believe the verse that he is talking about is the same one that I posted.

Ac 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized:
and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Now I maybe wrong I don't thank so the way that I see is that they joined "them" which I believe to be the "Church" of that day. Seem to me many are trying to get the cart before the horse. I'm not saying don't counsel to affirm their salvation, do and they don't have a problem with teachings. This can be done in short time of minutes, not days or weeks. Remember the "same day". Come on what are we running, a bunch of social clubs. I became a member of the "Civitan Club" with less trouble then I would have to go thru to be a member of some of your churches.

I believe that after they becomes members then as shepherds "for the Lord" you feed the Lambs. Every situation is different, but shouldn't be that much of a difference.
God Bless

cndlou
Hall Of Fame

Postby cndlou » August 31st, 2012, 7:31 pm

With or without a class, I think any leader/teacher should be a member of their church before they are allowed to lead. To me it shows they are committed to the beliefs of the church they have chosen to call home. Just my opinion... :D

Billy n NC

Postby Billy n NC » September 1st, 2012, 9:19 am

Pastor Gary, I think the class approach is more important than ever. In 1996 the GA theme was "Local Vibrant Church's". As churches embraced this (it has taken longer for some) they have seen church growth on a different level.

As the church has grown the need for the classes have emerged. I would say that over 45% of the people attending our church does/or did not know about our core teachings, not to mention our history. Many did not know what we even were talking about when we mentioned General Assembly. and it was in town. :)
Billy Broach
Ebroach Services
http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/

Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes

Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb

free
The 1,000 Club

Postby free » September 2nd, 2012, 3:28 pm

As pastor I lead the new members class in my church. We schedule it for two Sunday afternoons in a row--usually 1 1/2 to 2 hours. We have a workbook that folks go through.

For us it's more about explaining how our local congregation works--ministries, finances, etc. We also cover the state and international ministries but the main focus is on our local church.
It's harder to kidnap fat people!

rev rick
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...

Postby rev rick » September 2nd, 2012, 3:46 pm

dawgs10 wrote:Rev. Rick. The scripture you continue quoting is about being saved. Not joining a local COGOP.

It says Church, I did not mention COGOP or local either.

Rev Rick in the Zoo

~~~~~~/]Use it Daily!

paul
I can see clearly now!

Postby paul » September 2nd, 2012, 5:17 pm

dawgs10 wrote:They were not joining a "church". They were joining the "Church". It's good to know the foundation of a denomination before you become a member.

Is their a difference?, if so then my feeling is something is out of order. In my oponion we have institionalized the church so much it has cease to be a living breathing organism. Jesus accepts you and counts you worthy of salvation and eternal life simple confession of faith. But to be a part of one of his local churches well thats a different matter. :?
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting
and preserving yourself.

oletimer
Da Bomb!

Postby oletimer » September 3rd, 2012, 4:21 am

dawgs10 wrote:
Im going to side on the educational side of this one.

I would expect this kind of logic if I were joining the Mason. It is my thoughts that it is the pastor's job to feed the lambs. I'm not against education as I have spent a lot of time getting one.

Since when does one have to have a back ground check to be saved or even to join the church? Now for daycare or something like that OK, but to join the church, something isn't right from were I stand.

The only sin that is unforgiven: Mt 12:31 Therefore I say unto you, Every sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men; but the blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven.

Now to add education as another stipulation for membership, why not go all the way and make sure they look just like us, have least a BS degree.

I'm working with a brother right now that might not fit into some of the logic of some here. But I have seen him mature so much in the last few weeks, and when the time comes I will take him in as a member.

Not sure, but I think that the only qualification for member ship per the COGOP HQ is to be saved. Just Saying
God Bless

Shellie
Site Admin

Postby Shellie » September 3rd, 2012, 5:20 am

We offer the class so that people understand "what"they are joining. A lot of people want to join the fellowship, but they disagree with some of what we teach and it has caused problems later. So, we offer the class simply so that they will KNOW what we teach.
There never was a horse that couldn't be rode and there never was a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

Billy n NC

Postby Billy n NC » September 3rd, 2012, 3:38 pm

Spoke with my Pastor on sunday (Pastor Gary you should get some info this week). The class is 4 sundays 10-11 He told me he does not spend a lot of time on history of church but more emphasis about our local church. Also whats going on and encouraging them to get plugged in to ministry.

He did say that he had a video that Bro Clements made several years ago when he became the NA Presb.. He uses a segment on there about HQs.

(sorry the thread has digressed.)
Billy Broach

Ebroach Services

http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/

Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes

Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Postby dawgs10 » September 6th, 2012, 2:26 am

A foundation's course is a must. Otherwise people have no idea who they are joining. It is can have ramifications. We live in a world that the responsibility is in local congregations to educate those that would like to become members. It's not just a wink wink thing anymore. We have a responsibility to describe in detail, doctrine and practices before someone becomes a member.

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”