What does a Biblical giver look like?

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

dolfan
Established Member

What does a Biblical giver look like?

Postby dolfan » July 31st, 2012, 6:26 am

I'm compiling a list of sorts. And, in doing that, I'm curious as to what you all think are the most recognizable features of a spirit dedicated to giving. Now, of couse, money is always part of that, but I mean way, way more than that. I mean, like, complete surrender of life and thought that yields giving in every way imaginable. Who are some people you know (if not by name, by description) that you'd say exemplify giving?

We're learning about the discipline of becoming givers in our Friday night class. In preparing this discussion, I've outlined some things that the Lord has helped me understand about Him and how HE is the Giver. How we are being transformed into His image and how that translates into "be givers".

We come to this point, though: What does a Biblical giver look like in real life now? Well, the people who come to my own mind are people like those in Ossiri, India and men like Benham Irani or Youcef Nadarkhani in Iran. The 120K people yearly who are martyred for the sake of the Name. But, those are still too abstract, removed from us in proximity. So, I thought, "Ask J2." And, I have. :)

Examples and how you see that example as a specific attribute of being a person whose spirit is maturely growing into being a giver would be helpful. In a world where we believers are even inclined to set up false measures -- often unaware of it -- of what it means to give, measures we set so we can meet them and feel good about life -- I'm interested in stories of people who have laid even their own values and views of what is good and right on the cross, and how that demonstrates itself in giving, whatever shape the giving may take.

So, please. Share.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”