Let's "WHAT IF" for a minute...

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » July 25th, 2012, 2:07 am

Oletimer, you have to qualify your statement. TCoG doesn't have a problem finding a spot large enough to have your Assembly. There are probably hundreds of places. Shoot, our local church could more than meet TCoG's needs and we are 1 among dozens of churches of such size.

You may have a problem paying for a facility large enough BUT TCoG is not so large that they cannot find a place.
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Pastor Bill » July 25th, 2012, 7:26 am

I think the name change might be harder to sell outside the US where there is more pride in our organization, and less baggage than we have here in the US. (at least I've been told that) I think a radical change would be hard if it didn't reflect something of our past, but not so much as to reflect the problems.

Moving the Assembly. I think the biggest thing is cost to move all the stuff, being on the same continent as the International offices has some big effect financially, but it's possible that may be offset by lower costs for other things?

I think moving a shorter distance away first (still in US) will have to be an intermediate step, and then probably try moving out a little.

Attendance could drop (although this isn't necessarily a bad thing, I've been told that is one of the reasons the COG doesn't hold Assemblies in the south, it swells the numbers too much and raises the costs.
"Why would God allow Hitler his chapter in history? Why would God send a whale to swallow Jonah or turn a woman into a pillar of salt? Surely there were other ways. But I'll leave the particular methods of God to God."
-Spoken by David Abraham, Showdown by Ted Dekker

paul
I can see clearly now!

Postby paul » July 25th, 2012, 1:53 pm

If I was to move it just slightly out of Cleveland and the West seem to far away for many. Then my choices would be St. Louis or Chicago. I know that for the most part cogop does not have a strong presence in the city of St. Louis, even tho it is a larger city. At one time is was very strong.
I do believe that the IA could be used as a evangelistic tool if approached stragetically.
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting
and preserving yourself.

Jennifer Smith

Postby Jennifer Smith » July 25th, 2012, 1:55 pm

We miss CoGoP too sometimes. :) It's a great fellowship.
..I press on to take hold of that
for which Christ took hold of me.
-Phil 3:12

VolPastor
Needs a hobby

Postby VolPastor » July 25th, 2012, 5:09 pm

Someone must have misspoke. The site for 2014 will not be announced this week.
VolPastor

oletimer
Da Bomb!

Postby oletimer » July 25th, 2012, 5:14 pm

Full Quiver once again you are true to form. You tack can only be compared to a blooming idiot. When are you ever going to get over you animosity with The Church of God. You've been at it for years, don't you think its time to move on?

I want disagree with there being several places big enough to meet at, but here lies the problem, they are not for rent. Not many want give their church services while we have Assembly and or parking.

Another thing we never know where you are going. When I had issues with the COGOP I moved on and I don't go about attacking anyone about it but rather retain as many friends with it as I can. Your slanderous remarks shows that you have not changed as of yet. I had had high hope for you, you let me down.

Well it looks like another name to add to my daily prayer list. Mat 5:24 and Luke 6:28
God Bless

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » July 26th, 2012, 3:54 am

How are my remarks slanderous OT?

I am more than over it. God delivered me from being a Pharisee, being brainwashed, being a self righteous idiot.

Again, plenty of places are for rent. Goodness, what's wrong with the war memorial in Chattanooga. How about the Municipal Auditorium in Nashville. Or what about the place in NC where you had it last year? what about the CoG church in Cleveland. How about a University event center such as Curb at Belmont in Nashville or the one at Lipscomb in Nashville?

Don't give me that nonsense. You'd think that God would always provide a great venue for His one and true Bride! I guess not though.

My animosity with TCoG is equal to my animosity to any individual or group that abuses people however I have not slandered TCoG. The truth is the truth and it will set you free if only you wanted to be free. Sad thing is that most abuse victims get accustomed to the abuse and consider it normal.
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

rjjunior
700+ Posts

Postby rjjunior » July 26th, 2012, 10:20 am

(1) What if the Assembly could be moved to another region of the U.S. -- where would you like to see an Assembly held?

Vegas is inexpensive for conferences. Great place for evangelism. Inexpensive rooms, airfare, etc.

(2) Let's push that a step further: if we call it the International Assembly, shouldn't it perhaps be held in some place other than the United States now and then? What International location would you think would be a good place for the first Assembly outside the U.S?

One primary concern should be logistics for the International Presbytery. If the US is the easiest place for foreign nationals to gather, then don't complicate it with new VISA requirements somewhere else. If that is easily handled and other logistics can be dealt with without much difficulty, cool. I don't think it really matters all that much that we hold it in the US, honestly.

(3) I think we played a little "Name-That-Church" game a few years ago, in which we talked about the name "Church of God of Prophecy" -- a court-imposed label that has plusses and minuses, and in some places lots of baggage. If you were asked to rename this movement, what would you call it?

Something with a better acronym.

Humbly submitted for approval: International Christian Evangelical Church Renewal End-Time Associated Ministries

ICE CREAM!

EagerBeaver
--== J2 ==--

Postby EagerBeaver » July 26th, 2012, 3:58 pm

1. Kansas City, St. Louis, OKC or Tulsa. Tulsa is about as close as you can get to the geographic center of the U.S.

KC, STL work better because cheaper airfare in and out of their airports. KC acts as a hub of sorts, a lot of west coast and east coast cities have flights direct. For an Assembly you could have either the Sprint Center or Municipal Auditorium. I think Muni seats 10,000+, not sure.

2. Africa. Hold it in South Africa, maybe Johannesburg, Rustenburg, etc. Why not host it in the congregation with the most growth, potential to see the largest crowds of people see the inner workings of the COGOP? It would be fascinating.

3. I like the following: Evangelistic Fellowship International, International Pentecostal Assembly (IPA doesn't always mean beer!!!) or Fivesquare Church.
Chris Brewer - My Website

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Postby dawgs10 » July 28th, 2012, 3:30 pm

Orlando!!!

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Postby dawgs10 » July 28th, 2012, 3:37 pm

And Atlanta. Totally selfish choices.

RamboPreacher
RamboPreacher

Re: Let's "WHAT IF" for a minute...

Postby RamboPreacher » July 29th, 2012, 3:17 pm

Pastor Gary wrote:(1) What if the Assembly could be moved to another region of the U.S. -- where would you like to see an Assembly held?

(2) Let's push that a step further: if we call it the International Assembly, shouldn't it perhaps be held in some place other than the United States now and then? What International location would you think would be a good place for the first Assembly outside the U.S?

(3) I think we played a little "Name-That-Church" game a few years ago, in which we talked about the name "Church of God of Prophecy" -- a court-imposed label that has plusses and minuses, and in some places lots of baggage. If you were asked to rename this movement, what would you call it?
1 - not the south-east. how's that for specific. I think that Central US (Kansas area) would be best - and there are many venue's available in KCKC.
2 - YES, absoposolutely - YES again!. It is my opinion that the "IA" should be held in a not-CONUS area at least once in every three sessions. visa's and foreign travel should be considered, but again, not just for the SE folk. Perhaps a location in Africa, or Germany?
3 - I realize it was a court-imposed name, but this is my chosen heritage. With that said, I do not like the fact that even here in the midwest, at our "tiny" church - we get letters and emails from people that read the name as "church of god OF PROPHECY" - and these self-proclaimed prophets want to come speak at our church, or have "words" for us or special warnings for us, etc.

I think before that happens, we need to make a clear distinction about "what" we are. are we a "denomination"? are we NOT a denomination, and if not, what are we; a movement? (sorry, but movement brings a rather negative connotation, and to me even worse than a "divisive", denomination.)

mi dos centavos
Thanks, Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”