Let's "WHAT IF" for a minute...

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Let's "WHAT IF" for a minute...

Postby Pastor Gary » July 23rd, 2012, 4:00 am

(1) What if the Assembly could be moved to another region of the U.S. -- where would you like to see an Assembly held?

(2) Let's push that a step further: if we call it the International Assembly, shouldn't it perhaps be held in some place other than the United States now and then? What International location would you think would be a good place for the first Assembly outside the U.S?

(3) I think we played a little "Name-That-Church" game a few years ago, in which we talked about the name "Church of God of Prophecy" -- a court-imposed label that has plusses and minuses, and in some places lots of baggage. If you were asked to rename this movement, what would you call it?
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Phil Hoover
Hey, hey, hey

Gary...

Postby Phil Hoover » July 23rd, 2012, 4:15 am

I've often said, that should the Lord make the provision, I would return to the fold of the Church of God of Prophecy.

I still love this denomination...and it is a large part of my "family" in so many ways.
There is a ROCK between me and a hard place. His name is JESUS.

scooter
--== J2 ==--

well

Postby scooter » July 23rd, 2012, 4:39 am

How'd moving it to Texas work? It was okay.

How about Cleveland, Tn. lol

CoG is having their assembly in Orlando this week.

I really can't see an international assembly working elsewhere.

I'd love to see the real numbers of members associated with locale.

I remember a pastor coming back from Africa saying they couldn't find all the members over there. :lol:

As far as name....I think we change the name locally to what works and that seems to work. 8)
What we need here is a good revival! lol

paul
I can see clearly now!

Re: Let's "WHAT IF" for a minute...

Postby paul » July 23rd, 2012, 4:41 am

Pastor Gary wrote:(1) What if the Assembly could be moved to another region of the U.S. -- where would you like to see an Assembly held?
some where out west,
Like Phoniex, or Los Angeles

(2) Let's push that a step further: if we call it the International Assembly, shouldn't it perhaps be held in some place other than the United States now and then? What International location would you think would be a good place for the first Assembly outside the U.S?

Lagos Nigeria or Manila

(3) I think we played a little "Name-That-Church" game a few years ago, in which we talked about the name "Church of God of Prophecy" -- a court-imposed label that has plusses and minuses, and in some places lots of baggage. If you were asked to rename this movement, what would you call it?
Internationl Harvest Fellowship of Churches
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting
and preserving yourself.

paul
I can see clearly now!

Re: Gary...

Postby paul » July 23rd, 2012, 4:48 am

Phil Hoover wrote:I've often said, that should the Lord make the provision, I would return to the fold of the Church of God of Prophecy.

I still love this denomination...and it is a large part of my "family" in so many ways.

What does provisions have to do with returning to an organization that you love and apparently would lilke to return to?

Isn't the Lord our Provider?
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting

and preserving yourself.

Phil Hoover
Hey, hey, hey

What I meant

Postby Phil Hoover » July 23rd, 2012, 6:10 am

by "provision"...

That I live in a locale with a strong congregation...
Where I could feel welcomed and free to serve the LORD and these people...
There is a ROCK between me and a hard place. His name is JESUS.

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » July 23rd, 2012, 8:51 am

Wherever the greatest concentration of members is now would be an anchor point to pick a location, perhaps, then drift from there to centralize it among COGOP population centers? Looks like the USA has less than or about 5% of the COGOP population. Does Africa not have more??

How about southern Europe as a venue?

Names? I probably think like Scooter on that, personally. Is it that great a detriment? I know that even the vanilla "Church of God" has so many users it is hard to call yourself that in some places without having to specify Cleveland, Anderson, etc.

Yet, I like these kinds of names:
Harvest Church International (like Paul's recommendation but shorter)
Global Harvest Churches (throwing in a plural of the word churches??)
Pentecostal Harvest Church (if you feel you gotta say it to be it)

COGOP has called itself a harvest movement for a while now. If so, name it and claim it. :wink:
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

pastorables
--== J2 ==--

Postby pastorables » July 23rd, 2012, 9:26 am

Pastor Gary wrote:(1) What if the Assembly could be moved to another region of the U.S. -- where would you like to see an Assembly held?

I would love to see an assembly in the central U.S. Maybe Oklahoma City?

I think Europe would the ideal location for a site outside of the U.S. Australia would be nice as well.

The name question is interesting. I have seen the handicap of the name through the years. Many outsiders read the name as Church of God of Prophecy (the church that prophecies over people)... I wish we could just be Church of God, but unfortunately that name is taken. I'm not sure what the alternative should be, but should absolutely be relevant to the current harvest.

Are we thinking about a name change? Yikes, we just spent $5,000 on a new sign. :shock:

Blessings,
pa
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."Jim Elliot - Missionary Martyr

Pastor Gary

Postby Pastor Gary » July 23rd, 2012, 9:43 am

pastorables wrote:Are we thinking about a name change? Yikes, we just spent $5,000 on a new sign. :shock:

We are "thinking" about a thousand things, but there is no actual discussion of a corporate name change, at least not officially. Unofficially it is a frequent topic of discussion among leaders. I think your sign is safe. :wink:
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

Gerald
Needs Decaf

Postby Gerald » July 23rd, 2012, 10:23 am

The name needs to change. Period. It is patentely ridiculous And refers to a doctrine that we "never taught". Ahem. Coff Coff.

It MAY be a good idea to move the Assembly out of the US but I would do it to a country where such a function would have the greatest impact upon the ministry. In other words, If having the assembly in Timbuktu would spark excitement for the gospel there that nothing else would then by all means go for it.

paul
I can see clearly now!

Postby paul » July 23rd, 2012, 1:08 pm

Gerald wrote:The name needs to change. Period. It is patentely ridiculous And refers to a doctrine that we "never taught". Ahem. Coff Coff.

It MAY be a good idea to move the Assembly out of the US but I would do it to a country where such a function would have the greatest impact upon the ministry. In other words, If having the assembly in Timbuktu would spark excitement for the gospel there that nothing else would then by all means go for it.

Gerald you are right on this. I mentioned Manila Philippines. The island of Luzon is home of more than 45+ million people. With an IA there, pre planning, local churches mobilized advance training teams and the right follow up. The 40 plus churches cogop has there the possible growth to cogop could be in the thousands.....and quardrouple the number of churches. Now that would be an impact worth investing in.

and preserving yourself.

scooter
--== J2 ==--

Postby scooter » July 24th, 2012, 1:31 am

paul wrote:
Gerald wrote:The name needs to change. Period. It is patentely ridiculous And refers to a doctrine that we "never taught". Ahem. Coff Coff.

Gerald you are right on this. I mentioned Manila Philippines. The island of Luzon is home of more than 45+ million people. With an IA there, pre planning, local churches mobilized advance training teams and the right follow up. The 40 plus churches cogop has there the possible growth to cogop could be in the thousands.....and quardrouple the number of churches. Now that would be an impact worth investing in.

Response: I guess I could see that.
What we need here is a good revival! lol

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » July 24th, 2012, 2:10 pm

baby steps. I'd be happy if it moves a bit north and west of the Mississippi. Every other Assembly it is held outside of the South. Once that is digested, then every other Assembly it lands on a different continent.
Let the wild rumpus start!

oletimer
Da Bomb!

Postby oletimer » July 24th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Though I'm no longer with the COGOP, I only wish the best for it. With all the talk about moving it to some other country, I thought about the ability of travel at some of these places, also wither the travel would be free enough for everybody to go. We have a problem with finding a place big enough to hold our Assemblies, I'm sure that would be a greater problem with the COGOP. I would ask the question that if we went to an area, how would that effect the attendance? Just because there is 40 million people at a place doesn't mean that you would get 40 people to come.

For those that have a problem the teachings and the History, do like I did, move on and get over it. God Bless
God Bless

Pastor Gary

The next one

Postby Pastor Gary » July 24th, 2012, 6:00 pm

The site for the 2014 Assembly will be finalized this week, we hope, in time to be announced. The selection is good and wil make me happy.

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”