I must be having MENopause :)

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

dolfan
Established Member

I must be having MENopause :)

Postby dolfan » February 10th, 2012, 4:23 am

I heard something on the way into work this morning and I keep staying on the verge of tears over it. Crazy.

Stephen Davey, on Wisdom for the Heart, preached about agape love. He told the story of Raymond Dunn, the so-called "Gerber Boy". Some of you may recall this but I didn't.

Dunn was born with a cracked skull and had been deprived somewhat of oxygen to his brain in the womb. This was in 1975, I think, or so. He was severely retarded and had a food allergy to almost all forms of nourishment. His mother discovered one thing he could ingest without making him sick, a meat-based formula called MBF, made by Gerber. Beef hearts were a main ingredient. It was made for babies like Raymond who suffered from allergies, but the market was very small and Gerber, in 1985, decided to quit making it.

Carol Gerber bought up every case and can of it she could find. She eventually accumulated enough for a few years' supply. (Long shelf life.) She didn't know what to do. She appealed to Gerber, she even sent requests in 1988 to President Bush and Donald Trump. Gerber agreed that it would release the recipe for the formula to any company willing and able to manufacture it.

No one did.

So, in 1988, some employees with the research and development division of Gerber convinced the company that they could make some more MBF. They still had the equipment, they had the recipe, and employees said they would do it on their own time. The company -- rather, the people of that company -- agreed. The acquired the beef hearts and ingredients necessary and assembled the equipment without pay. In a few days one month in 1988, Gerber made enough MBF --- free of charge --- for a market of one 15 year old profoundly retarded extremely allergic young fellow. He lived until the age of 20.

I think of what it means to be kind to people. To be gentle in spirit to them. I think how, now maybe more than ever in our lives or perhaps longer, people are more attuned to kindness because it so increasingly rare. I see an opportunity for Christians to make the name of Jesus glorious in a world that hates Him through the very fruits He bears in our lives as we abide in Him. Going out of our way, inviting suffering to ourselves, for the sake of the one obscure person for whom another pleads, all because of Jesus.

I really pray that I obey the command to love one another in the way that Jesus intends for us to do that.

See? Told you. MENopause. :lol:
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”