Testimony or Blasphemy? (Tebow)

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

pastorables
--== J2 ==--

Testimony or Blasphemy? (Tebow)

Postby pastorables » November 16th, 2011, 5:42 am

Saw this report on the Drudge Report concerning the new Tim Tebow JESUS Jersey. What a great discussion starter. Do you fall on the side of those who think this is blasphemous or do you believe this is just another attack on Tebow's Christian testimony?

pa

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201111/tebow-custom-jerseys-create-hullabaloo Tebow Link
Last edited by pastorables on November 18th, 2011, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."Jim Elliot - Missionary Martyr

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » November 16th, 2011, 7:33 am

I find the jersey distasteful. I don't think my opinion should matter to them, though. :lol: It makes me 'hinky' to put Jesus' name on a Tebow jersey. Seems like it equates them somehow, or that Jesus has a favorite QB. Personally, if my "completion" percentage in Christ was as low as Tebow's on the field, I'd have to wonder how Jesus feels about me wearing anything with His name on it !! :lol: And, since I'm not at all confident in my "Jesus stats" (so to speak), I think I'll do Jesus the credit of not identifying myself by His name on a shirt. Bad analogy, best I could do. 8)
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

pastorables
--== J2 ==--

Postby pastorables » November 16th, 2011, 9:57 am

dolfan wrote: It makes me 'hinky' to put Jesus' name on a Tebow jersey.

But if it had been Jay Barker or Brodie Croyle... ?! Well now, that would different. 8) :D

pa
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."Jim Elliot - Missionary Martyr

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » November 16th, 2011, 10:59 am

pastorables wrote:
dolfan wrote: It makes me 'hinky' to put Jesus' name on a Tebow jersey.

But if it had been Jay Barker or Brodie Croyle... ?! Well now, that would different. 8) :D

pa

Yeah, it'd be a lot worse. Neither of them are even in the league!!!! :lol:
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Tebow Jesus

Postby Pastor Gary » November 16th, 2011, 11:34 am

Since Christ lives IN Tebow, at least that's what I hear, so I am not bothered by that being proclaimed.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

MacUser
Established Member

Re: Tebow Jesus

Postby MacUser » November 17th, 2011, 7:46 am

Pastor Gary wrote:Since Christ lives IN Tebow, at least that's what I hear, so I am not bothered by that being proclaimed.

Exactly. I have a moot opinion on football or how this would effect it... yet I know of Tebow because of his professed Faith in Jesus and that he is constantly having to prove himself.

So for this to be said of him by others or even connected outside of the sport is above fantastic imho. It shows how thru Jesus.. he is able to transcend it all outside of his performance.

While being transformed into the very image of the Son ... :wink:
Chris -

... Behold, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world!
John 1:29

oletimer
Da Bomb!

Postby oletimer » November 17th, 2011, 2:42 pm

I think that it would be great that when people think of me that they would think of Jesus. I would only hope that they would see my passion for Christ. I like what Paul says
Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
God Bless

MacUser
Established Member

Postby MacUser » November 18th, 2011, 5:13 am

Fitting to watch during this discussion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlB5dgM_3Yc

"After the score, the religious QB took his sometimes-mocked prayer position on the sidelines. The Jets were not laughing."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1e4PRWoTy
Chris -

... Behold, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world!

John 1:29

pastorables
--== J2 ==--

Postby pastorables » November 18th, 2011, 8:47 am

This is a great 6 minute synopsis of what makes Tim Tebow tick, "Faith, Hope, and Love".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQR1l_M7q9Q&NR=1

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » November 18th, 2011, 12:25 pm

MacUser wrote:Fitting to watch during this discussion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlB5dgM_3Yc

"After the score, the religious QB took his sometimes-mocked prayer position on the sidelines. The Jets were not laughing."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1e4PRWoTy

I thought the camera practically being placed ON him while he prayed was the tackiest thing I've seen in a while. Forget the Jesus jerseys. The NFL Network and other media MAKE his prayer look like its posed for public viewing.

I'll say this .... he flat out won that ball game last night. The first play where the receiver dodged a safety-tackle was significant, but after that, (except for one poorly thrown ball that his receiver nicely caught to push them out into midfield) it was a Tim Tebow watch-me-run show. If his QB gig ends, this guy could be a stud FB.

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » November 21st, 2011, 10:26 am

I think it's great that the camera focuses in on his prayer and praise. The media obviously has an agenda BUT what they are really doing is showing the fans that one can live out their faith at work and in public and that it's perfectly ok to give God the praise for the successes in one's life. Denver is 4-1 since Tebow took the helm and to me it only points towards God (though God probably doesn't care so much for football) and because people are talking about it Jesus is glorified.

Remember that Paul said some preach Jesus out of contention BUT NEVERTHELESS Jesus is preached.
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

beckrl
Woohoo!

Postby beckrl » November 21st, 2011, 11:30 am

The Tebow jersey is all media so I hope he gives them alot more to talk about. I find that allot of people can look at his being not as good of a qb and all of his limitations as the experts will say, but then finding a way to win. To me that speaks volumes to his inner person.

I find it interesting that all of his team mates find him a leader and have no desire for another qb.

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » November 23rd, 2011, 6:30 am

beckrl wrote:The Tebow jersey is all media so I hope he gives them alot more to talk about. I find that allot of people can look at his being not as good of a qb and all of his limitations as the experts will say, but then finding a way to win. To me that speaks volumes to his inner person.

I find it interesting that all of his team mates find him a leader and have no desire for another qb.

i am no Tebow fan, probably because I cant stand the Gators or the Broncos and I am still waiting to crown him the second coming of John Elway. He needs more than a partial season for that. But, to his credit, he finds ways to win games and that's why his team mates like him. I'm pretty sure if he had the record of Kyle Orton, his team mates might not be so forgiving.

As for the original question of Testimony or Blasphemy? I dont see it as either. There are certain names that the NFL doesn't allow to be on jersey's. I dont care for it, but I see it more of marketing ploy than testimony.
Let the wild rumpus start!

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » November 23rd, 2011, 6:37 am

And, Paully, that's why the Jesus jersey thing strikes me as not in good taste. I know people will say, "well, Christ is still preached". But, that's just it. It is sideshow stuff. I'm not blaming Tebow for it. I don't have one bitty problem with him kneeling or any of that. In fact, he seems conscious of the attention he's getting and so he moved the kneeling to the sidelines but the camera still zooms in super close. The hype and attraction and the media buzz is what the whole thing is about. In fact, the story is more about the buzz than about the actual fact that Tebow is a Christian. Now, can Tebow stop that? Not really. Now if he stops it, they'll do a story about how he stopped it, and then they'll critique that, and then they'll create a buzz about him not doing it and then the story will be about the buzz they themselves created..... and on and on it goes. I just don't like Jesus' name being dragged into that.

It has nothing to do with Tebow -- now. It is beyond him. He's just a commodity in the hype factory of new media. Next week or next month, this conversation won't even be happening.

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » November 23rd, 2011, 6:39 am

[quote="dolfan"]It has nothing to do with Tebow -- now. It is beyond him. He's just a commodity in the hype factory of new media. [/quote

Agreed.
Let the wild rumpus start!

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”