Don't know what to do

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

lady4jc
I can see clearly now!

Don't know what to do

Postby lady4jc » August 31st, 2011, 6:22 pm

My mom in law passed away July 1st. My husband and I inherited the house and moved in. The house is in my husband's name now. His brother uses drugs and pain pills. He also steals anything he can get to sell to get money to buy drugs. And he is homeless. My sister in law buys him a camping trailer and wants to put it on our land and use our electric and water and let my brother in law live in it. My husband tells her no way. If we did that he would probably end up stealing stuff around the house and maybe break in on us. He has done that when his mom was alive. And we afraid he will get caught with drugs on the property and get us all in trouble. So do you all agree we shouldnt let them put the camper on our land?
Then my sister in law demands us not to give her mom's clothes to anyone and not let any one have her nick knacks. We tell her hey if you want the stuff get it out of the house so we can fix the house up the way we want it. All that stuff is in our way anyway. But she dont want to take it she wants it to just stay in the house. And she wants to be able to come in here any time she wants to even when we not home. We told her hey would you like it if we did you like that? But she says it her mom's house so she can. But it not now it is my husband's. His name is on the house now. What should I do? It is crazy.

Martha
Whoa!!
Whoa!!

Postby Martha » September 1st, 2011, 2:19 am

My 2 cents

Give the sister-in-law a deadline to get the stuff she wants. After that, get rid of it. Or box up everything and take it to her house. Leave it on the porch if she will not accept it.

Change all locks, and make sure you have deadbolts. If possible, get a security system.

Absolutely do not allow the brother to live on your land. I know this sounds harsh but if you allow the brother to live off you then you are aiding him in his addiction.

Just hang tough and keep supporting your husband. Sometimes it can be painful to do the right thing.

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » September 1st, 2011, 7:44 am

Martha's right. Check your PMs.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

oletimer
Da Bomb!

Postby oletimer » September 1st, 2011, 5:11 pm

lady4jc, Martha is right, listen to her. If you give in then you will never have any peace.
God Bless

PastorP
Hall Of Fame

Postby PastorP » September 2nd, 2011, 1:18 pm

Martha wrote:My 2 cents

Give the sister-in-law a deadline to get the stuff she wants. After that, get rid of it. Or box up everything and take it to her house. Leave it on the porch if she will not accept it.

Change all locks, and make sure you have deadbolts. If possible, get a security system.

Absolutely do not allow the brother to live on your land. I know this sounds harsh but if you allow the brother to live off you then you are aiding him in his addiction.

Just hang tough and keep supporting your husband. Sometimes it can be painful to do the right thing.

This advice is worth far more then 2 cents. Tough love is just that, it is tough. You will never help an addict by supporting the habit.

Sounds like there is a reason that your mother in law left the house to your husband. By leaving the house to him, that makes him the owner. He has to take the stand to settle these situations. Above all, don't allow yourself to feel guilty in doing what is right.
PastorP
Proverbs 3:6 (MSG) Listen for GOD's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track.

lady4jc
I can see clearly now!

Postby lady4jc » September 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm

Thanks everyone. We have decided to not let him or anyone put a camper on our land. Also my husband did change the locks on all doors today. I just pray now for peace in the family.

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » September 6th, 2011, 3:04 pm

Evidently your husband was "willed" the house. What about all the other belongings?

There is no question that I wouldn't allow the brother to live in the yard.
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

lady4jc
I can see clearly now!

Postby lady4jc » September 6th, 2011, 3:18 pm

He was willed the house and everything in it. He did allow his sisters and brother to have a few things but they was getting to where they wanted everything.
My husband and I both heard my Mother in law say a few times before she passed away that my brother in law is not to come on the land. He is to get the truck only if he straightens up gets a job and gets his license back that he lost while driving DUI. So far he hasnt done that. She has even put a restraining order on him to keep him away. So if we was to allow him to put a camper on our land we believe it would go against what my mom in law wanted. My sister in law just wants this to get him out of her hair.

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » September 7th, 2011, 2:22 am

Wow, sounds like your hubby was the favored child and all the others were written out of the will.
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”