COGOP ARK report

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

germanshepherd
Needs a hobby

Moving near Int'l airport

Postby germanshepherd » October 8th, 2010, 6:11 pm

I am not sure if we really need to move near an international airport or not. There is a shuttle that runs from Chattanooga to the Atlanta airport for $37 that I have personally used several times. It works great. Also, there is discussion of a high-speed train being installed between Chattanooga and Atlanta. With VW and other International companies coming to Chattanooga, the access to an International airport is getting much better from here. Also, Chattanooga airport itself is adding more flights; some of these costing the same or less than flights out of Atlanta--yes, I have checked. Especially on International flights.

Maybe my 2cents don't count since I live in Cleveland. But, I have lived outside of Cleveland and even outside the USA. In fact, for the most part I could have done my previous job at the IO from anywhere. Not sure about now yet.

FOTW--I hear people say that we do not need to sell it. It would cause too many problems. But, come on. Have we backed it up with our actions. I know of one individual that is "putting his money where his mouth is." He would not want me to mention his name, but he has committed a large donation towards the restoring of FOTW.
Equipping Individuals - Impacting The World

justsam
Woohoo!

ARK report

Postby justsam » October 8th, 2010, 7:57 pm

I am still licensed with the COGOP (as far as I know). I think the reccomendations sound solid. In my opinion however, the FOTW should be sold outright. The COGOP track record in for-profit development of business entities is too poor to reasonably expect development of the property to succeed.

God Bless You- Sam Smith
Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God? (Jesus)

paul
I can see clearly now!

Postby paul » October 9th, 2010, 7:56 am

Who new wrote:I'm not a member and not even interested. But once upon a time I was a member and visited both the Assembly and Fields of the Wood.

It seems that selling the general offices would provide significant resources toward renovating or building a spiritual retreat center/youth camp that could have on-going, self sustaining activities. It's a mistake to treat it like a museum when spiritual reality is an on-going need that people keep coming back for. Don't look back, look forward. This isn't a property question it's one of vision.

Well said.......
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting
and preserving yourself.

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Re: Moving near Int'l airport

Postby dawgs10 » October 9th, 2010, 7:58 am

germanshepherd wrote:I am not sure if we really need to move near an international airport or not. There is a shuttle that runs from Chattanooga to the Atlanta airport for $37 that I have personally used several times. It works great. Also, there is discussion of a high-speed train being installed between Chattanooga and Atlanta. With VW and other International companies coming to Chattanooga, the access to an International airport is getting much better from here. Also, Chattanooga airport itself is adding more flights; some of these costing the same or less than flights out of Atlanta--yes, I have checked. Especially on International flights.

Maybe my 2cents don't count since I live in Cleveland. But, I have lived outside of Cleveland and even outside the USA. In fact, for the most part I could have done my previous job at the IO from anywhere. Not sure about now yet.

FOTW--I hear people say that we do not need to sell it. It would cause too many problems. But, come on. Have we backed it up with our actions. I know of one individual that is "putting his money where his mouth is." He would not want me to mention his name, but he has committed a large donation towards the restoring of FOTW.

thats why it should be retained and be made self sufficient. a place like that can make money. not the way it is but with changes it could.

TW
Established Member

Postby TW » October 9th, 2010, 3:29 pm

I am an outsider, and as such can be totally objective in reviewing these matters. I tend to agree that one of the properties in Cleveland should be sold and the assets relocated to the other property.

As for The Field Of The Woods, maintaining it as a theme park really is not a viable idea. The client draw is extremely limited and it's location is well off the beaten path for the casual tourist. Religious theme parks struggle to survive even in high density tourist areas. A classic example of this is The Holy Land Experience in Orlando, FL. The FOTW ideas presented by Billy and others are a good first steps. Yes, retain some of the park like atmoshere, it would provide a great background/ setting for a Conference/Retreat Center. I would however develop it further as a Conference/Retreat Center with not only Chalet housing but also some Hotel/Motel style housing. Establish a first class Christian Reference Library. Also a museum to preserve your history. And make it all available to any Christian group seeking such facilities.

TW
Anglo-Saxon Proto-English Manuscripts (995 AD): “God lufode middan-eard swa, dat he seade his an-cennedan sunu, dat nan ne forweorde de on hine gely ac habbe dat ece lif."

My blog - http://theoldman.wordpress.com/

PastorDaniel
Hey, hey, hey

Postby PastorDaniel » October 9th, 2010, 3:30 pm

I am a life long cogop member, a minister, and new fieldwork pastor. I agree with the documents in regards to HQ and TC. But I do believe that other options could be considered such as many of those mentioned on here already.

However, as some have noted, Cleveland is not the worst spot. It is close to Chattanooga who now has the most modern communications in the Nation. EPB Fiber Optics is now offering internet speeds at 1 gig to businesses and residential homes due to the new infrastructure. I think Hong Kong is the only other city in the world that is close to EPB's new communications. And they are working on deals to branch out to other close cities. I know this from first hand as a previous employee. You can also google it. There was an article on it in the NY Times.

FOTW does hold some sentimental memories for me. It would be so simple to have some sort of cabins or chalets built and used for Christian vacation rentals. Or as PG said. A retreat for prayer.

My fear is that whatever happens will be a committee based decision only. They have basically been empowered already and it seems that these committees are making decisions without a full concensus of the membership. I'm not entirely sure. And I do try hard to stay informed. However, I feel uninformed. Most times I feel disconnected. And I really do make an effort to stay connected. Anyway....
Pastor Daniel :D

DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-

Postby DeWayneTN » October 10th, 2010, 2:58 am

Daniel, there have been no decisions made and will not be made until the 2012 Assembly. All members have been encouraged to share their opinions. The first thing we were told in the meeting the other day that this whole process is to be open to everyone. I think if you look through the summaries provided online, you'll see as much as information as the rest of us have.
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)
Visit my blog: www.dewaynehamby.com

PastorDaniel
Hey, hey, hey

Postby PastorDaniel » October 10th, 2010, 7:06 am

Thanks Dewayne, I have read these. I guess the "decisions" I am talking about are those made in handling other ministries and properties in the "somewhat" recent past. There's a lack of trust from past management and leadership issues. I know that this "is not fair" to current leadership. But never-the-less it remains an issue that only time and proper leadership will repair.

I "think" and/or "assume" that there are many whom feel that the committees will simply do what they feel they need to do. That also causes the issues that Todd mentioned about people "putting their money where their mouth is"....we've all put money, time, and sacrifice into this church only to see it used in other ways or lost.
Pastor Daniel :D

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » October 10th, 2010, 2:29 pm

I am glad HQ is open to a an outside "non-biased" view of things. I like the idea of moving HQ onto the campus area of TC. I think that makes good sense. As for FOTW, i am honestly not sure if those outside of the SE have any really connections to it. I like the idea of selling it. Taking the funds and using them for Global Outreach, not just outreach in the FOTW area.
Let the wild rumpus start!

Darling
Woohoo!

Postby Darling » October 11th, 2010, 5:57 am

I agree with you Paully. Also like the idea of housing for "seniors". Wouldn't be great if there was a special spot for those seniors and senior ministers to live out their days?

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Postby dawgs10 » October 11th, 2010, 12:13 pm

Paully_44 wrote:I am glad HQ is open to a an outside "non-biased" view of things. I like the idea of moving HQ onto the campus area of TC. I think that makes good sense. As for FOTW, i am honestly not sure if those outside of the SE have any really connections to it. I like the idea of selling it. Taking the funds and using them for Global Outreach, not just outreach in the FOTW area.

the issue is that there are more members in 4 or 5 states in the southeast than the rest of north america. and i think most of them have a very strong connection.

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » October 11th, 2010, 12:31 pm

dawgs10 wrote:
Paully_44 wrote:I am glad HQ is open to a an outside "non-biased" view of things. I like the idea of moving HQ onto the campus area of TC. I think that makes good sense. As for FOTW, i am honestly not sure if those outside of the SE have any really connections to it. I like the idea of selling it. Taking the funds and using them for Global Outreach, not just outreach in the FOTW area.

the issue is that there are more members in 4 or 5 states in the southeast than the rest of north america. and i think most of them have a very strong connection.

I understand the majority of the US membership is in the south. I just think that there should be another financial alternative to FOTW than the church as a whole maintaining financial responsibility for a piece of land the the minority of church membership ever see or use.
Let the wild rumpus start!

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Membership

Postby Pastor Gary » October 11th, 2010, 1:01 pm

dawgs10 wrote:

And there are more members in ONE African nation than in the entirety of North America, and those members will never set foot near FOTW.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Re: Membership

Postby dawgs10 » October 11th, 2010, 3:04 pm

Pastor Gary wrote:
dawgs10 wrote:

And there are more members in ONE African nation than in the entirety of North America, and those members will never set foot near FOTW.

i agree, but we are not talking about closing something that africa has supported and loved and used for generations either.

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Postby dawgs10 » October 11th, 2010, 3:07 pm

Paully_44 wrote:
dawgs10 wrote:

I understand the majority of the US membership is in the south. I just think that there should be another financial alternative to FOTW than the church as a whole maintaining financial responsibility for a piece of land the the minority of church membership ever see or use.

i understand what you are saying and agree that it should not hold the finances of north america back, but we should make it work sometimes rather than just closing things down folding up and going home.

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”