Both denominations are out of Cleveland

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Phil Hoover
Hey, hey, hey

Both denominations are out of Cleveland

Postby Phil Hoover » July 15th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Can the "holy city" survive? Will there be traffic in the streets?

Will economy in Bradley County tank?

No waiting at Cracker Barrel, or .....wherever folks in Cleveland eat these days?

What's UP with THAT?
There is a ROCK between me and a hard place. His name is JESUS.

oletimer
Da Bomb!

Postby oletimer » July 16th, 2010, 8:41 am

And the real statment is?????? Just what are you trying to say? :roll:
God Bless

DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-

Postby DeWayneTN » July 17th, 2010, 9:13 am

Oletimer, I think Phil's just trying to make a lighthearted joke that both the COG and COGOP are holding their Assemblies the same week in other cities, so a large chunk of this "buckle on the Bible Belt" will be MIA. :-)
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)
Visit my blog: www.dewaynehamby.com

soulsearcher
What's next?

Postby soulsearcher » July 17th, 2010, 4:26 pm

Big whoop! Neither have had their Assemblies in Cleveland for decades anyway.

Faith rider
Needs a hobby

Postby Faith rider » July 17th, 2010, 4:53 pm

[quote="DeWayneTN"]Oletimer, I think Phil's just trying to make a lighthearted joke that both the COG and COGOP are holding their Assemblies the same week in other cities, so a large chunk of this "buckle on the Bible Belt" will be MIA. :-)[/quote]

Does that mean that the Holy City won't be Holy for a week? haha.
May your golf ball land in the greens not the still waters.

Rascal
Needs a LIFE

Postby Rascal » July 18th, 2010, 5:21 pm

I guess I will be able to get a seat at Shoney's. I can remember when Shoney's was about the only restaurant near the tabernacle and it would be standing room only to get in. But, everyone wanted to go there, it was like a homecoming. My mother can remember riding the train to Cleveland for the assembly and delegates on the train would sing and (God forbid) wave the Church flag. 'Meetin' would break out on the train........Well, we have risen above all of that now that we are politically correct and thinking on an "International" level.

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Postby Pastor Gary » July 19th, 2010, 1:36 am

Rascal wrote:I guess I will be able to get a seat at Shoney's. I can remember when Shoney's was about the only restaurant near the tabernacle and it would be standing room only to get in. But, everyone wanted to go there, it was like a homecoming. My mother can remember riding the train to Cleveland for the assembly and delegates on the train would sing and (God forbid) wave the Church flag. 'Meetin' would break out on the train........Well, we have risen above all of that now that we are politically correct and thinking on an "International" level.

We'd better be thinking on an International level since 80% of four membership is outside the United States. I was in the International Prsbytery meeting at the last Assembly when one National Overseer was introduced whose nation had more members than the U.S. We have some pretty incredible international leaders, too, including some new young Overseers that have wonderfully productive and innovative ministries in their countries.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

cndlou
Hall Of Fame

Postby cndlou » July 19th, 2010, 1:53 am

We have some pretty incredible international leaders, too, including some new young Overseers that have wonderfully productive and innovative ministries in their countries.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Phil Hoover
Hey, hey, hey

Postby Phil Hoover » July 19th, 2010, 2:56 am

Rascal wrote:I guess I will be able to get a seat at Shoney's. .

No, actually you won't...

Shoney's CLOSED....
There is a ROCK between me and a hard place. His name is JESUS.

Rascal
Needs a LIFE

Postby Rascal » July 19th, 2010, 9:31 am

I think it is likely that in the near future a General Assembly will be held in a foreign country. And, a non-U.S. GO will be elected. Nothing wrong with this, in fact I think we should expect it as COGOP membership grows outside the U. S. Souls are souls wherever they are and the church (we) has a commission to reach them.

I am sorry to learn that Shoney's has closed.

free
The 1,000 Club

Postby free » July 19th, 2010, 9:42 am

80% of our membership is outside of the U.S....How much money comes from that 80% to run this machine we call CoGoP?
It's harder to kidnap fat people!

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » July 19th, 2010, 10:53 am

I'd be just be shocked if we had it on the West Coast. Happy, but shocked.

or maybe even outside of the bible belt area.
Let the wild rumpus start!

Rascal
Needs a LIFE

Postby Rascal » July 19th, 2010, 3:00 pm

I too have wondered how the church will keep the $ up with a shift to international membership. But the Lord is in charge and He knows best. He will make away.

It does seem that our domestic membership is decreasing. I know it is in our area. I'm not sure why or what can be done about it. I know I don't have any answers. I am not a minister.

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Ahem

Postby Pastor Gary » July 19th, 2010, 3:20 pm

free wrote:80% of our membership is outside of the U.S....How much money comes from that 80% to run this machine we call CoGoP?

Kind of a nationalistic view, isn't it? It assumes that people in other countries (A) are all in poverty, and (b) that they don't give.

Many of the nations that were once "mission" areas are now SENDING and supporting missionaries, and are more than carrying their financial weight in the general church. I spent two weeks this spring in Korea COGOPs 2.5 million dollar retreat center, and preached in a church there with business people, educated young rising leaders in a prosperous, generous country that is arguably more Christian than America. At night, the cityscape of seoul is amazing; it is a Korean custom to put a red neon lighted cross on each church, and Seoul is lit like Christmas with thousands of red crosses.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Rascal
Needs a LIFE

Postby Rascal » July 19th, 2010, 4:27 pm

I was in Korea in 1989 on a YMT. Brother Lee was the pastor there and the church was small, about 50. Obviously, it has grown and this is great news. I know there were some large Christian churches there. We spent about 10 days there and then traveled on to Fukoa Japan. There, the Christian faith was not accepted as well as Korea. The work there was very difficult and I assume still is. For whatever reason, people in that culture were just not ready to hear the gospel. Perhaps the westernization of Korea with the U. S. military base there has made the difference.

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”