Now, y'all, THIS is old time religion

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

dolfan
Established Member

Now, y'all, THIS is old time religion

Postby dolfan » May 26th, 2010, 5:44 pm

Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

Ilovebigcats
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Ilovebigcats » May 26th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Oh.

My.

Goooooooooooooooooodnessssssssssssssssssssssss!!!

That is HILARIOUS!!!

I have an opinion on that but I will keep it to myself. LOL Let me just say.. I have been in a church like that. hahaha

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » May 27th, 2010, 5:41 am

Personally, I think it was staged just for YouTube use. It looked almost choreographed, and the guy with the rolling tumble and into the baptistry, the guy at the end almost doing the twist with a grin on his face, another actually throwing his jacket at the guy singing in the pulpit (which would've been a ringer had it been a horseshoe -- good throw!)....I just think it was fake.

There's another video of a young preacher in a service impersonating this Hughes fellow. It is apparently done in respect to him and not a mean thing. Looks to me, whether it appropriate or not is anybody's to judge I guess, but looks to me like these folks have a pretty outrageous sense of humor. I've been around a good bit of pentecostal fun-making (BY pentecostals, mind you) and I know most or all of you have too (and no one intended anything mean by it), but I don't know that I expected to see it on video inside a church. But, who knows?
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Postby dawgs10 » May 27th, 2010, 6:28 am

i have seen some baptist churchs that get that wild. of course without tongues. that would be out of order!!! :) i thought it was funny. copied it and sent it to a friend.

MacUser
Established Member

Postby MacUser » May 27th, 2010, 7:13 am

I don't think it was fake.. just experiencing serious freedom... but regardless it's absolutely hilarious.

My wife and I thank you for a fantastic laugh.
Chris -

... Behold, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world!
John 1:29

Ilovebigcats
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Ilovebigcats » May 27th, 2010, 8:07 am

I agree!! It is HILARIOUS!!! I thought it was a group of Baptist that got stirred up in the their Spirit and didn't know what to do with themselves. LOL

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » May 27th, 2010, 11:13 am

Not sure if it was staged for video or not. But at 57seconds in, I think the guy actually wanted to get wet by his hand position on the glass. maybe he thought it would get him a bigger blessing.

Personally, I like the guy who runs down the isle, twirls his jacket and throws it at the guy signing and actaully covers his face.

I can honestly say I have never seen anything in person close to that.
Let the wild rumpus start!

PastorDaniel
Hey, hey, hey

Postby PastorDaniel » May 27th, 2010, 12:01 pm

I almost laughed out loud...literally! so was that what you would call a sae baptism?

It definitely looked a bit on the carnal side :shock: :D :!:
Pastor Daniel :D

PastorDaniel
Hey, hey, hey

Postby PastorDaniel » May 27th, 2010, 12:03 pm

To Paully:

Well...I've seen something similar...at least the running and jumping...but not the jacket throwing at the singer or the dive onto the platform into a roll or the dive into the baptism! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry? :D
Pastor Daniel :D

stevenson
I can see clearly now!

Postby stevenson » May 27th, 2010, 2:37 pm

It wasn't staged! Just put the name "Earl Hughes" into the search bar on YouTube. Crazy stuff!
"No, I am just telling you what the Word says" -Vestal Goodman

Oneway Ministries

soulsearcher
What's next?

Postby soulsearcher » May 27th, 2010, 4:33 pm

A total sham. What a shame. :lol:

Linda
Hey, hey, hey

Postby Linda » May 27th, 2010, 5:47 pm

Something I noticed...none of the women participated....odd! They all just stayed seated, but one...who went and picked up something off the floor.

Very ODD indeed!!!!!
Linda

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » May 27th, 2010, 8:04 pm

Linda wrote:Something I noticed...none of the women participated....odd! They all just stayed seated, but one...who went and picked up something off the floor.

They are probably not allowed to speak or hold leadership positions either.... :twisted:
Let the wild rumpus start!

stevenson
I can see clearly now!

Postby stevenson » May 28th, 2010, 4:45 am

Here's a link to the church that is in the above video: http://faithbaptistsmyrna.com/

Update: Evangelist Earl Hughes had a stroke about 2 weeks ago. Earl is the man singing in the video. His daughter says he is not doing well.
"No, I am just telling you what the Word says" -Vestal Goodman

Oneway Ministries

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » May 28th, 2010, 1:51 pm

Stevenson, I'm glad you found that. Did anyone see the last statement on their "Statement of Beliefs"?

We do not accept any form of the Ecumenical or charismatic movement of this day (2Cor 6:11-14, Amos 3:3, 1Tim 4:13, 1Cor 13:8, 2Cor 12:12, 11:4, 13-14, 2Thes 2:9

I take that -- maybe incorrectly -- to mean they don't believe in what was going on in that video.

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”