The Church in 50 years

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Rascal
Needs a LIFE

The Church in 50 years

Postby Rascal » March 21st, 2010, 9:35 am

In a recent thread, we touched on the way our worship style has changed over the past few years. Technology has afforded us new ways to worship and to reach out to the lost. Cyberspace has brought just the begining of changes we will encounter during our life. The post office is in trouble today because we are sending emails and doing business on line. We now spend a considerable amount of time on the computer vs TV time. This has affected programing of the networks. It also has affected our worship habits. I thought it might be interesting to postulate, predict, and theorize where the church might be in 50 years.

I think it is quite possible that we/they will not have any printed materials as everything will be on line or projected. We are almost there now as most of us don't really need our Bible or song books as these are projected in service.

We/they could assemble themselves here on line and eliminate the need for very costly buildings that require a large portion of the church budget. I know of many family life buildings that are very useless and are consuming a very big % of the budget. This would free up $ to be used in other areas of need, ie earth quake relief. I see many churches in our area that have multi-million$ buildings that are really not necessary. I wonder if the Lord will hold us responsible for reckless spending........

We/they could praise the Lord in song here on line or iTunes. I must admit, I enjoy Youtube and use it daily. There is a endless supply of even Gospel music. It is there now.

Will we/they even need a pastor? Cyber church is certainly a reality and sermons and an endless supply of material is now available to make this happen. When you think about it, the only reason we don't already do this is we are caught up in traditional methods. It is what we have been doing all of our lives and we are following our traditions.

Perhaps there is nothing wrong with the way we have done things in past . We are definately at the begining of a cyber age. As America becomes more diverse, the Christian faith will decrease in % of our population. It may mean that church buildings will become a thing of the past and the internet will be the new gathering place. It would take me some getting use to, but one thing is for certain, CHANGE Are you ready?

beckrl
Woohoo!

Postby beckrl » March 21st, 2010, 3:04 pm

Right now I see the cyberchurch as an extension of an church not an replacement. But I just wonder what new visions will be in the future that may change how we do things. I know some churches now starting as house churches or cell churches. Is that an fad or will that grow into something bigger in the future.

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » March 22nd, 2010, 2:28 am

Public assemblage of the saints is much needed and without a cause such as persecution it should not be neglected.
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

fezzik
Needs Decaf

Postby fezzik » March 22nd, 2010, 3:04 am

I have a friend who attends Northpoint Church in the Atlanta area, lead by Andy Stanley. This church has several satellite churches, all of which have their own staff, praise bands, etc. But, they all watch Stanley on huge video screens, usually a week after the first time he does his sermon at the home location at Northpoint. So, they have thousands of members who are watching their pastor on video only...and it's hugely successful for this ministry.
"People are strange. They want the front of the bus, back of the church and the center of attention."
John Hamby

MacUser
Established Member

Postby MacUser » March 22nd, 2010, 5:00 am

Whatever it takes to fully grasp a real understanding of the Gospel of Jesus Christ so we can lift HIM up high.

As as Paul in 1 Timothy 1:3,4 warns against..
..so that you may command certain men not to teach false doctrines any longer 4. nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. These promote controversies rather than God's work—which is by Faith.
Chris -

... Behold, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world!
John 1:29

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”