They still don't get it

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

dolfan
Established Member

They still don't get it

Postby dolfan » February 22nd, 2010, 5:25 am

I watched about 15 minutes of Glenn Beck's impassioned speech to CPAC this weekend. I was flabbergasted that he said what he said, and couldn't decide if the applause was genuine or just being polite. But, what he said needed saying, and it should ring, ring, ring until America sheds incumbents and tries in earnest to restore liberty to people.

Bill Bennett criticized Beck's speech as the wrong approach, and defended incumbents such as Mike Pence. Bennett cast off Beck's observations and said simply there is a "difference" between the parties and that Beck is not respecting those incumbents who are trying to do right. Whatever, Bill.

Dick Armey says that Republicans who align themselves with "tea party" folks are "barking up the wrong tree" since, as he put it, every one of them he meets starts what they say with "I am my own man" or "I am my own woman." Did you get that? Armey wants us all to be serfs to the Federal Government, and thinks it a problem that people think independently and not in lock-step with the Republican establishment. Now, the unofficial conservative position is "grow the government".

See, this comes back to what just tears me up about getting rid of Obama's plans for us. There is NO alternative to big government. It is either Democrat big government or Republican big government. Bennett says they're different. I say difference isn't enough.

Now, don't take what I'm about to say in the wrong way, but here goes. I understand Joe Stack. I can see where a man can be so overrun by the government that he puts his feet down on principle and says, "This is where I stand and fall." While what he did was abhorrent, his reasons for getting to that point illustrate that we want to be FREE FROM GOVERNMENT. Government does not secure our liberty.

I hope, but don't know that I should expect anything significant, that people get madder and madder and madder at our government. I hope the anger turns into full blown revolt. In my view, the government that hinders liberty and personal choices regarding property and wealth and the ultimate matters of life is a usurper and forceful resistance to it is wholly justified. That's exactly what happened 240 years ago. Only now our "kings" have been selected by us to do us harm instead of coming into power by means of monarchy and inflicting harm.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

MacUser
Established Member

Postby MacUser » February 22nd, 2010, 5:41 am

These clashes of ideals are fantastic and thank God for it. It makes us stronger for it and exposes the obstacles.

Army is entitled to his opinion.. just not my support.

These internal detractors are meant to disenfranchise, isolate and then defeat you. Don't allow them the ability to determine the game rules.

Instead show them how the treads of the tires feel. * speed bump *
Chris -

... Behold, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world!
John 1:29

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » February 22nd, 2010, 6:51 am

Oh, you're quite right. I mean, what options do we have, really? Vote the bums out? Not much of an option, but I'd rather start there. So, I will. :lol:
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

rjjunior
700+ Posts

Postby rjjunior » February 22nd, 2010, 7:24 pm

Your sentiments are on, but using Armey as part of the problem is ironic, since his group, Freedom Works, is considered a part of the Tea Party movement.

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » February 23rd, 2010, 3:09 am

These incumbents need to get with the spirit of our founders and framers. They did not look at Congress as a career but as a duty of public service. If two terms is good enough for the President, and it is, then two terms is good enough for Senators. I'd give House Reps. a couple more terms but no life time commitments.

Honestly, does Armey and some of these other guys really think they have the only perspective among people of their own districts? Well if they do then Houston we have a problem.
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

jinjer
Hey, hey, hey

Postby jinjer » February 23rd, 2010, 3:37 am

FreedomWorks is not part of the Tea Party Movement, only in the eyes of Armey and the Media. Tea Partiers strive to make known Armey's group is not their representative. HE aligned himself after the fact.

I'm with Tim....I'm ready to clean them all out and start over. I'm tired of ALL of it.

Jinjer

MacUser
Established Member

Postby MacUser » February 23rd, 2010, 4:47 am

Just don't become disenfranchised... this problem wasn't created overnight and it's going to take much more to clean it up. Be consistent to principle and not individual failings.

Educate yourself... so you can educate your Children, Family and Friends. We have to pass on this amazing nation we inherited to our kids and grandkids.
Chris -

forestwalker
The 1,000 Club

Re: They still don't get it

Postby forestwalker » February 23rd, 2010, 7:25 am

dolfan wrote:In my view, the government that hinders liberty and personal choices regarding property and wealth and the ultimate matters of life is a usurper and forceful resistance to it is wholly justified. That's exactly what happened 240 years ago. Only now our "kings" have been selected by us to do us harm instead of coming into power by means of monarchy and inflicting harm.

Our problem now is the same as it was in 1776: an overly-centralized, overly-powerful imperial government in the control of large corporate economic interests. Our forebears were revolting against the East India Company, et. al., and the taxes and harmful economic policies levied at their behest and for their benefit as much as they were seeking to secede from the mild political tyranny of the British crown. We face a similar two-headed leviathan today.
For the truth that lies at the heart of theology is not something there to be discovered, but something, or rather someone, to whom we must surrender. The mystery of faith is not ultimately something that invites our questioning, but something that questions us.
Andrew Louth, Discerning the Mystery

Phil Hoover
Hey, hey, hey

Glenn Beck

Postby Phil Hoover » February 25th, 2010, 11:00 am

has never held political office, either appointed or elected.

Bill Bennett and Dick Armey both have.

THERE IS A MAJOR DIFFERENCE.
There is a ROCK between me and a hard place. His name is JESUS.

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Re: Glenn Beck

Postby Pastor Gary » February 25th, 2010, 1:23 pm

Phil Hoover wrote:has never held political office, either appointed or elected.

Bill Bennett and Dick Armey both have.

THERE IS A MAJOR DIFFERENCE.

There sure is... Glenn Beck gets it, and they don't. His speech at CPAC was better than anything I have heard in decades. (Skip to 05:18 to get to the start of Beck.) Watch and learn.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

MacUser
Established Member

Re: Glenn Beck

Postby MacUser » February 26th, 2010, 5:15 am

Pastor Gary wrote:
There sure is... Glenn Beck gets it, and they don't. His speech at CPAC was better than anything I have heard in decades. (Skip to 05:18 to get to the start of Beck.) Watch and learn.

Fantastic Indeed.
Chris -

dolfan
Established Member

Re: They still don't get it

Postby dolfan » February 26th, 2010, 8:48 am

forestwalker wrote:
dolfan wrote:In my view, the government that hinders liberty and personal choices regarding property and wealth and the ultimate matters of life is a usurper and forceful resistance to it is wholly justified. That's exactly what happened 240 years ago. Only now our "kings" have been selected by us to do us harm instead of coming into power by means of monarchy and inflicting harm.

Our problem now is the same as it was in 1776: an overly-centralized, overly-powerful imperial government in the control of large corporate economic interests. Our forebears were revolting against the East India Company, et. al., and the taxes and harmful economic policies levied at their behest and for their benefit as much as they were seeking to secede from the mild political tyranny of the British crown. We face a similar two-headed leviathan today.

Yes, we do. But, this is no mild political tyranny, even by comparison to the cronyism for the big corporations. Social interests demand their cut now. It gets called "economic justice", and while I clearly recognize the Biblical requirement that believers act justly among themselves with regard to wealth, I am convinced beyond personal doubt that any notion of it is evil when applied to society at large since it requires a coerced usurpation of wealth by a government, and a redistribution of wealth by and for people whose interests oppose those of the people from whom the wealth is removed. That is a beguiling but harmful, and therefore insidious, "head". It is no longer mild political tyranny of the crown, if ever you could call what the crown did "mild".

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”