What do YOU think is true?

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

On the debate about modesty, and what that means, let's zero in on one specific case:

The Bible absolutely forbids men and women swimming together as immodest.
3%
The Bible does not prohibit men and women swimming together, but I find it a problem.
15%
The Bible does not prohibit men and women swimming together, and the whole argument is ridiculous.
82%

Total votes: 65

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

What do YOU think is true?

Postby Pastor Gary » August 21st, 2009, 12:07 am

After all the discussion, debate and emotion, I'd like to know what people REALLY think.
Last edited by Pastor Gary on October 1st, 2009, 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Poimen
What's next?

Looks like I'm the oddball again =P

Postby Poimen » August 21st, 2009, 12:12 am

I'd fall somewhere between option 1 and 2.

The bible does not forbid men and women from swimming together, at least not expressly. Swimming is not sinful. But it does forbid immodesty.

So (IMHO) it is safe to say...

The bible forbids men and women swimming together when doing so is immodest.
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

"I wish a buck was still silver, it was back when the country was strong." -- The Hag

deb
Da Bomb!

Who are we supposed to be afraid of?

Postby deb » August 21st, 2009, 2:12 am

#3 - I can't believe this is even a discussion

TW
Established Member

Postby TW » August 21st, 2009, 5:05 am

There is no Biblical injunction against men and women swimming together. This whole argument is STUPID.

TW
Anglo-Saxon Proto-English Manuscripts (995 AD): “God lufode middan-eard swa, dat he seade his an-cennedan sunu, dat nan ne forweorde de on hine gely ac habbe dat ece lif."

My blog - http://theoldman.wordpress.com/

Sherry

Postby Sherry » August 21st, 2009, 6:16 am

My pool would be such a waste!!! What a pointless argument!

Anyone wanna come over for a pool party? :D 8)

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » August 21st, 2009, 7:21 am

YellowRose wrote:My pool would be such a waste!!! What a pointless argument!

agreed. it was never even a thought placed in our minds until we started attending cogop way back when.

YellowRose wrote:Anyone wanna come over for a pool party? :D 8)

I do!
Let the wild rumpus start!

scooter
--== J2 ==--

I smell

Postby scooter » August 21st, 2009, 8:22 am

I smell a lone ranger or a rat. I'm not sure which!
What we need here is a good revival! lol

rough_rider
I can see clearly now!

Postby rough_rider » August 21st, 2009, 10:15 am

I voted #3 but I do not find the argument is ridiculous, some folk have a honest conviction over mixed swimming. I respect that and would understand those not participating in a beach outing. What I find ridiculous is those that would pass judgment on the ones that would or would not participate in mixed swimming. Not that any one here was doing that.. :)

my 2¢ worth :wink:
In the presence of Jehovah, God almighty, Prince of peace.
Troubles vanish, hearts are mended, in the presence of
The King.
ImageImage . Image .Image

Brian
Da Bomb!

Postby Brian » August 22nd, 2009, 5:50 am

rough_rider wrote:I voted #3 but I do not find the argument is ridiculous, some folk have a honest conviction over mixed swimming. I respect that and would understand those not participating in a beach outing. What I find ridiculous is those that would pass judgment on the ones that would or would not participate in mixed swimming. Not that any one here was doing that.. :)

my 2¢ worth :wink:

Abosoultely rough rider, no one should pass judgement on either party for accepting or not accepting mixed swimming. I know that for along time there was an air of holy superiority from those that abstained from certain practices that seemed unrighteous but now it seems there is a polar opposite with those who have liberty to do some of those questionable things. It's almost like if you hold to certain values, real or perceived, then the more liberal(for lack of a better word) slander the more reserved with comments like "stupid".

If your a guy and can swim with the ladies, or a girl who frollicks (LOL) with the guys them more power to ya! but don't put out a smear campaign against those who may have a little trouble with it. And those of you who don't feel comfortable with the frollicking :) don't give those of us with a little more liberty such a hard time!
"My eyes are ever on the Lord, for only He will release my feet from the snare." Psalm 25:15

http://www.myspace.com/twiztidstr8

Sherry

Postby Sherry » August 22nd, 2009, 6:19 am

Brian wrote:
If your a guy and can swim with the ladies, or a girl who frollicks (LOL) with the guys

Why is that a guy swims but a girl "frolics?"

Why is it in society that the woman no matter what the situation, is made out as a temptress? Men should be held responsible to control their actions, regardless of their surroundings equally as a woman should.

Billy n NC

Postby Billy n NC » August 22nd, 2009, 9:06 am

Out of those who find it a problem.

Could you let us know what part of the country you are from?

Just wondering. NO agenda.

Unless all three are lurkers or non posters, then its mute.
Billy Broach
Ebroach Services
http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/

Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes

Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb

Brian
Da Bomb!

Postby Brian » August 23rd, 2009, 8:52 pm

YellowRose wrote:
Brian wrote:
If your a guy and can swim with the ladies, or a girl who frollicks (LOL) with the guys

Why is it in society that the woman no matter what the situation, is made out as a temptress? Men should be held responsible to control their actions, regardless of their surroundings equally as a woman should.

Poor choice of wording on my part. Not trying to demonize women or anything, I love women!!! :) But quite flanky our surroundings matter. Alot of like to say that a man (or women) should control themselves no matter what is going on around them. this is true for the most part but don't be so coy as to think our surroundings dont effect the outcome of certain events. If i was to throw a slumber party for my 16 year old daughter and I had a nudist swimming party I think the goings on at that party will be drastically different than if we were to go to chucky cheese! :)
I know it sounds good to say, but if a man or a woman was in a room filled with dancers of the opposite sex being naked it may put a spin on the events of the evening as opposed to going down to the VFW and playing bingo. :)
I won't "blaim" the 15 year old who dresses like she is 25 with more makeup on than tammy fae baker and less clothes on than the swimsuit manaquin in the JC pennys. Or blaim the guy who thinks he's emimen and has no shirt on and his jeans are down around his knees barely clinging to his exposed boxers...... but it certainly does change the dynamics of a given situation and you know it.
"My eyes are ever on the Lord, for only He will release my feet from the snare." Psalm 25:15

http://www.myspace.com/twiztidstr8

Sherry

Postby Sherry » August 24th, 2009, 5:20 am

Brian wrote:
YellowRose wrote:
Brian wrote:

Poor choice of wording on my part. Not trying to demonize women or anything, I love women!!! :) But quite flanky our surroundings matter. Alot of like to say that a man (or women) should control themselves no matter what is going on around them. this is true for the most part but don't be so coy as to think our surroundings dont effect the outcome of certain events. If i was to throw a slumber party for my 16 year old daughter and I had a nudist swimming party I think the goings on at that party will be drastically different than if we were to go to chucky cheese! :)
I know it sounds good to say, but if a man or a woman was in a room filled with dancers of the opposite sex being naked it may put a spin on the events of the evening as opposed to going down to the VFW and playing bingo. :)
I won't "blaim" the 15 year old who dresses like she is 25 with more makeup on than tammy fae baker and less clothes on than the swimsuit manaquin in the JC pennys. Or blaim the guy who thinks he's emimen and has no shirt on and his jeans are down around his knees barely clinging to his exposed boxers...... but it certainly does change the dynamics of a given situation and you know it.

Not sure where you hang out, but I have never been to a party that there were naked people! :wink:

Lets face facts here, the majority of these posts about immodesty has pointed the finger at the woman. That was my point.

darylscook
Hall Of Fame

I guess I am from the South

Postby darylscook » August 24th, 2009, 9:48 am

It is one thing to be in another country and being shirtless (or pantless(sic) as some stories share) where clothing is simply to clothe and there is not much of it available/

I am not in a position to judge what happens in Hawaii/Va Beach. I don't know how things go on there and wasn't there to know how things came about. But ....

I am concerned about the acceptance in the south of young women wearing clothes that are designed to draw attention to and show various body parts. Often (not always) clothes are designed to be sexual and enhance features. Our world pushes young ladies to wear those things. I agree that it is a tool of satan to trap our young men and ladies.

The culture and Media present women as objects and any display of flesh is sensual in nature. Some of you may be above any temptation/not even notice but I can't believe the young men and women in the South who have been taught from birth (not by parents but by the culture HERE) that breasts/midriffs etc. are to be admired sensually/fleshly do not need some instruction and encouragement on modesty.

Honestly, I am more worried about some of the dresses/outfits that are coming out than someone wearing a swimming suit on a beach.

Of course, We still have separate swim times here in MS in our camps.

God bless You
Pastor Daryl
Daryl S. Cook, Senior Pastor
Pearl Church
The Church of God of Prophecy
Pearl, MS

Pianoman
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...

Postby Pianoman » August 25th, 2009, 8:17 am

I would have voted "Other" if there was an option. I don't think there's anything Biblical that prohibits it - but as has been the trend of the past 20+ years - I believe there should be modesty in all things.

Too tight & too revealing are my beef. I also don't think there's anything grosser than seeing rolls of fat sagging & bouncing all over the place (which is why I make it a habit to look up and not down at myself!) I personally wear a loose fitting T-shirt when I go to the beach for just that reason. I'm not sure which would be worse - the rolls or the blinding white flesh?

In all honesty - with the seemingly rising trend of more open homosexuality - I'm surprised folks aren't worried about being ogled at the beach by a homosexual? Is there really much difference in being ogled by someone of the same sex vs. of the opposite sex? :shock:
There's something else to think about!
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”