Todd Bentley files for separation from his wife

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Dr. Ron
I like flapjacks.

Todd Bently files for separation

Postby Dr. Ron » August 14th, 2008, 6:03 am

To all:

I didn't want to get into this but here goes.

dolfan said about what I was going to say.....except far better than I could have done it.

I agree with Gerald about the main thing in his life.....Accountability!

That is all the brother is asking for. He is correct that far too many pentecostals and charismatics run after the next big thing.

I remember my last assembly as an overseer in Louisville. Rodney Howard Brown was in the area and a big group of people ignored the GA and went to be in his service. I have to admit he was very likely more exciting than what was provided for them, but they all got caught up in that and went home to try to get their people laughing and barking.

Along came Pennsecola! The majority of GHQ went to that one.....they all got whatever it was they were getting and tried to duplicate it in many ways,......and some still are.....

Then Lakeland and Todd......Dont we ever learn to depend on God to direct us? Why are we all looking for the next big "outpouring" when it clearly is not the scriptural mandate of the church. Ours is a mandate that makes it a daily walk...a daily infusion of the spirit into our lives.

Do I agree with all the spiritual gifts? Yes sirreee bob! And they are all present here in my church from time to time....they are just not the "focus" of what we do. We are here to win souls, disciple the younger ones, establish those who commit to ministry....just as Paul is doing.

So they are both right. And they are both needed in the body.

If J2 has one short sighted issue, it is to think that because we disagree that we are "hate mongers". Not so. We come here because we gain something from it. I question myself many times about the time I spend here. But many times, I learn from others....and maybe, just maybe someone learns from me ocassonally.

Let's all agree to hammer away at sin........where ever we find it....and if you don't agree with Gerald.....then answer his questions.
Dr. Ron

panhandler

Postby panhandler » August 14th, 2008, 6:42 am

The banner over this site is Jude 2, Mercy, Peace, and Love! I think it should be changed to Judgement and Accountability to Gerald.

If I agreed with the "ministries" being attacked here I would defend them. I do not! Neither do I agree with the need to destry without following the Biblical mandate. My Hero, DrRon, I would think that you would understand that after all that was done to you.

I guess I need to take a break for a while.
"I imagine God is weary of being called down on both sides of an argument" Cold Mountain

Dr. Ron
I like flapjacks.

Postby Dr. Ron » August 14th, 2008, 7:00 am

Panhandler,
I guess you and I see what Gerald is doing differently. I don't see him as being destructive to the ministries. I see him bringing questions about them. Is he ever obtuse in his queries? Absolutely. But everyone has the right to be a jerk sometimes.....even me!!! :lol: :lol:

I do most certainly know how it feels and I appreciate what you had to say. I don't think you need to take a break...I just think that all of us should understand (as I have had to many times) that the written word never gives us the opportunity to see another persons eyes, heart, body language, inflection, etc.

I don't EVER intend to "destroy a ministry". If God is for it, who can be against it? But I have no problem with anyone asking for accountability. I have to do that often.

I love you Mike.....you have been my bud a long time....don't want to hurt you now!!!
Dr. Ron

panhandler

Postby panhandler » August 14th, 2008, 7:24 am

"don't want to hurt you now"!!!

No chance of that!

I guess if someone were on here touting Lakeland/Bently and promoting their antics I could see someone raising red flags but to just arbitrarily make posts that are hee-hawing at someone's (anyone's) marriage being destroyed scares me for that person.

Your rep took hits because people did not agree with you or know where you were coming from. They had not been where you were. Gerald, Deb, and others that post these things are just as subject to accoutability as those they intend to see brought down.

I have NO problem with accountability by Biblical standards.
"I imagine God is weary of being called down on both sides of an argument" Cold Mountain

one love
Woohoo!

Postby one love » August 14th, 2008, 7:43 am

there is nothing wrong with showing you disagree with something however to do it with a destructive tone is different. Why all the insults to prove a point. To me that is how the world debates and decides what is right.
Panhandler is correct in my opinion though I do agree with Gerald in not supporting or believing these preachers I dont feel it is right to insult people at anytime. We are to meek and of a humble spirit. Certainly we are not saying we cant make a statement without insulting them or being in a attack mode are we?

I dont agree with Todd Bentley AT ALL but I am sad to see he is getting a divorce. If I feel he is wrong so be it but you will surely win nobody by insulting them, never. It just does not happen.

You may see it different and feel it is just different view points but it is the way the post is made.
I dont Know Paul except from here but I do feel he is attacked wrongfully. I certainly dont agree with everything he does nor do I with many of you all, But I would never insult anyone to make a point..... Love goes a long way.

I love Gerald and respect him, he knows that. I understand him, I just dont feel it is neccessary but he has to do as he feels.

Dr. Ron
I like flapjacks.

Postby Dr. Ron » August 14th, 2008, 8:01 am

A man usually speaks out of his hurts. Can we all not see that coming out in Gerald. He is in need of understanding. He has difficulty seeing how others can be so "successful " and "blessed" when he has been so hurt and done so wrong.

I understand his hurt. I understand the curt remarks...the recoil to disagreement.

That is what the j2 family is about...we hold each other up....may not agree, but we do hang in.

Love you all.....Mike you are so right about my situation. I am glad that God is the great vindicator!!!!!
Dr. Ron

Billy n NC

Postby Billy n NC » August 14th, 2008, 8:34 am

panhandler wrote:
I guess if someone were on here touting Lakeland/Bently and promoting their antics I could see someone raising red flags but to just arbitrarily make posts that are hee-hawing at someone's (anyone's) marriage being destroyed scares me for that person.

Panhandler, I have not read this thread word for word but my intiial thought on the post from Gerald was not from someone hee-hawing at someone but someone saying I Told You So..

That Is the way I saw it .
Billy Broach
Ebroach Services
http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/

Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes

Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb

one love
Woohoo!

Postby one love » August 14th, 2008, 8:35 am

Billy n NC wrote:
panhandler wrote:

Panhandler, I have not read this thread word for word but my intiial thought on the post from Gerald was not from someone hee-hawing at someone but someone saying I Told You So..

read the rest of the thread....

Billy n NC

Postby Billy n NC » August 14th, 2008, 8:48 am

one love wrote:
Billy n NC wrote:
panhandler wrote:

read the rest of the thread....

I Did Just finished. Still stand by the post.

I consistently see Panhandler accusing him of Hee Hawing over and over.

I do not see that. I see Geradl getting riled up and throwing the Baby out with the bathwater but no Hee Hawing..
Billy Broach

Ebroach Services

http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/

Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes

Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb

stevenson
I can see clearly now!

Postby stevenson » August 14th, 2008, 8:48 am

Gerald,
The key word I was using was "hiding". My definition of the "judge not lest ye be judge" is this, clean out your own closet first so you can judge correctly. As far as I know, you have. You are probably better equipped to judge a divorce situation than most of us on here.

Panhandler,
Gerald may be a little rough in his approach. But he's honest and upright. And he will always tell you what he thinks. I'd rather have that then a bunch of people talking behind my back. If we were back in Bible times, Gerald might be eating locust and wild honey. Catch my drift?

BTW, I think Bentley is cracked! The man is making a mockery of the christian faith and needs to be sat down!
"No, I am just telling you what the Word says" -Vestal Goodman

Oneway Ministries

panhandler

Postby panhandler » August 14th, 2008, 9:00 am

stevenson wrote:Gerald,
The key word I was using was "hiding". My definition of the "judge not lest ye be judge" is this, clean out your own closet first so you can judge correctly. As far as I know, you have. You are probably better equipped to judge a divorce situation than most of us on here.

Panhandler,
Gerald may be a little rough in his approach. But he's honest and upright. And he will always tell you what he thinks. I'd rather have that then a bunch of people talking behind my back. If we were back in Bible times, Gerald might be eating locust and wild honey. Catch my drift?

BTW, I think Bentley is cracked! The man is making a mockery of the christian faith and needs to be sat down!
John The Baptist did it face to face not on a message board.

Follow the Biblical mandate of going to them first....etc. and I will accept it. I think Bentley needs God's help as we ALL do.

Love ya Man!

one love
Woohoo!

Postby one love » August 14th, 2008, 9:08 am

Question, What if I wrote a post about all that are members of the COGOP and used words as such...

you are all

stupid
ignorant
not able to discern
thrown the bible in the toliet
made the word of God a lie
crack pots
etc........some of these are no where as rough as others that have been posted :shock:

I would be blasted to the moon by all or most of you however this is allowed by others and accepted as just defending the gospel. We are never to insult people. If you feel one is wrong you should embrace them with love and show your disagreements. Not destroy them on the world wide web. There has to be concern for them as well even if they preach thing we do not like.

With that said I would never say any of these things at all and I know you are all aware of that.

PastorDaniel
Hey, hey, hey

Postby PastorDaniel » August 14th, 2008, 9:19 am

one love wrote:Question, What if I wrote a post about all that are members of the COGOP and used words as such...

you are all

stupid
ignorant
not able to discern
thrown the bible in the toliet
made the word of God a lie
crack pots
etc........some of these are no where as rough as others that have been posted :shock:

Hey Onelove....we wouldn't be shocked to hear this from you at all...you're in the TCOG...it comes natural towards the COGOP.... 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: Just Kiddin'
Pastor Daniel :D

stevenson
I can see clearly now!

Postby stevenson » August 14th, 2008, 9:42 am

Haha! That's what I was thinking Pastor Daniel.

Panhandler,
If they had internet in thoise days, who knows! I think onelove is right, Gerald is more saying "I told you so". Some people defended Bentley when Gerald first talked about him. But the longer the revival goes on....the more Gerald seems right.

And if Gerald was given the chance, he probably would tell him face to face. I've met Gerald, I don't think he would have a problem telling aanyone what he really thought be it on the web or in person.
"No, I am just telling you what the Word says" -Vestal Goodman

Oneway Ministries

Jennifer Smith

Re: Life After Lakeland: Sorting Out the Confusion

Postby Jennifer Smith » August 14th, 2008, 11:34 am

deb wrote:http://fireinmybones.com/

Good article written by J.Lee Grady, editor of Charisma

Todd Bentley’s announcement that his marriage is ending has thrown our movement into a tailspin—and questions need to be answered.

I have always appreciated what Lee Grady has had to say. I agree with almost all of what he had to say here as well.

I don't know if anyone defended Todd Bentley as much as they defended a person's right to judge for themselves, to believe or disbelieve for themselves here on Jude 2. The problem that I had were the accusations and attacks leveled at others who wished to reserve judgment, to observe, and wait and see...

...and the true nature of Lakeland/Bentley would be revealed, which apparently it was... :) We should still pray for him and his family and not cast a stone of judgment, there but for the grace of God go you and I.
..I press on to take hold of that
for which Christ took hold of me.
-Phil 3:12

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”