Money Saving Ideas for rough times

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

darylscook
Hall Of Fame

Money Saving Ideas for rough times

Postby darylscook » July 2nd, 2008, 2:40 am

Guys

I have for a while used a much cheaper way of shaving and since I just got a fever blister, it reminded me of a way to get rid of a fever blister quicker than abriva for a lot less $$$.

Here are my money saving ideas

Shaving

If you have to use a blade like I do, you have noticed how much shaving gel (or cream) has become. I use the Mach 3 blades. Once I was out of Edge gel and really needed to wait a few days to buy some. So, I started using cheap old lotion. It's kind of weird at first, but you get used to it. A big old bottle of cheap lotion will last you Months and Months. I also think that it is better on the blade than gels so those expensive Mach 3s will last longer.

Fever Blisters

This old remedy has been around a while at least in my family. I have just tweaked it a little. Alcohol. My brother shared with me to put some alcohol on the fever blister at the first signs and soon after and it will speed the recover.

When a fever blister comes up, Using the method described below can get rid of it in about 48 hours.

Buy a box of those Alcohol Swabs. Here about $2.50 for the Store Brand of 100 or so I am not sure. Buy them before you have a fever blister, they will really last YEARS. Its the swabs for those taking insulin shots to clean the area before the shot. Buy the cheap one's that's all you need.

At the first sign of a fever blister, pull one out and wipe down the fever blister area real good. Grab about a dozen of the wipes and put them in your pocket. About every 3 hours, take out a wipe and wipe it down real good again. Try to push it hard at the end to leave alcohol on the blister. Keep that up and in about a day the blister is gone and it is just a little sore and in the next day the sore will be gone. One day 2, you do not have to put as much alcohol on it since you have already dried up the blister.

Yes the alcohol burns a little sometimes.

Pastor Daryl
Attachments
289278.jpg
289278.jpg (24.81 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
Daryl S. Cook, Senior Pastor
Pearl Church
The Church of God of Prophecy
Pearl, MS

KBevangelist
Hey, hey, hey

Postby KBevangelist » July 2nd, 2008, 3:05 am

We were doing our monthly grocery shopping yesterday and my wife and I were trying to find money savers.

Groceries are outrageous. However, we are grateful that we can buy them and have plenty. A lot of people don't have the means to do so.

KB

fezzik
Needs Decaf

Postby fezzik » July 2nd, 2008, 3:19 am

"People are strange. They want the front of the bus, back of the church and the center of attention."
John Hamby

KBevangelist
Hey, hey, hey

Postby KBevangelist » July 2nd, 2008, 3:29 am

We have seen this list before. It is a great help and we do most of it.

KB

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » July 2nd, 2008, 3:39 am

Conditioner makes shaving easy as well and can be very inexpensive. Most of the time I just use hot water.
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

PastorDaniel
Hey, hey, hey

Postby PastorDaniel » July 2nd, 2008, 3:59 am

Yeah, razors and shaving stuff is something I have quit buying.

I got an electric razor last year for my birthday(rechargeable)....only cost around 30 bucks! I've been using it everyday! Sure beats $10 disposables and $6 gels or creams every couple of weeks!
Pastor Daniel :D

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » July 2nd, 2008, 4:02 am

Full Quiver wrote:Conditioner makes shaving easy as well and can be very inexpensive. Most of the time I just use hot water.

I use both an electric razor and regular one -- not on the same day, of course. It's quicker for me to shave in the shower, which I do with either just hot water or soap and water. When I use lotion, it is usually shaving gel, but I rarely do use it. A can will last me a long time. Then, on the occasions when I use my cordless electric razor, I don't like it so much. It takes longer to shave with it, it doesn't shave closely enough, and I just don't really like having to fool with it.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

Penny
I can see clearly now!

Postby Penny » July 2nd, 2008, 4:09 am

I love coupons.. It the ONLY reason I get the Sunday Paper.

MY kids kinda like coupons shopping, give them both a set of coupons and off they go to find the items.

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » July 2nd, 2008, 4:09 am

Here's one I recommend personally:

Totally Awesome cleaner available at Dollar General stores. A half gallon of the concentrate is $3, a spray bottle (20 oz., I think) is $1. This stuff works better than any cleaner, hands down, that I know of. We use it on everything. I sprayed down a vinyl outbuilding with it, one that was coated in sap, grime, and just the junk that accumulates on something from being around a lot of trees and grass. I had tried a scrub brush and 409 but it took a lot of work. So, I sprayed on some Awesome, waited 10 minutes, rinsed with a hose and never had to touch it. I did the other side the same way with having never touched it with a brush. I did the same with the vinyl fence at our new house.

You can use it in your laundry (it will remove ink other stubborn stains and not harm the clothes), floors, whatever. Really, really good stuff. My brother even talked with the manufacturer about private label sales from our store -- that's how much we are impressed by it.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

fezzik
Needs Decaf

another cleaner

Postby fezzik » July 2nd, 2008, 4:17 am

I use ammonia mixed with water for household cleaning. It does a fine job on glass, counters, etc. Ammonia is very cheap. Mix it up maybe 1:5 in an old spray bottle and you're good to go.
"People are strange. They want the front of the bus, back of the church and the center of attention."

John Hamby

soulsearcher
What's next?

Postby soulsearcher » July 2nd, 2008, 5:00 am

dolfan wrote
It's quicker for me to shave in the shower, which I do with either just hot water or soap and water.

Shaving in the shower is so much easier - and faster. I bought a fogless mirror that attaches to the shower head, letting water run through the mirror, and it really works! I shave with my own shampoo mixture of 1/2 shampoo, 1/4 conditioner, and 1/4 Selsun Blue - for controlling fungus (a dermotologist shared that tip).

Three-parts water, bleach and Fabuloso is my cleaning solution for the bathroom. I spray down the shower, including the showerhead, after each use, and it stays spotless.

dolfan, I'm going to try your recommended cleanear - Totally Awesome. Sounds great!

Of course, I think everyone knows that Baking Soda is about the best and cheapest tooth paste around.

And last, but not least, Witch Hazel is great for blisters, bruises and inflammation. I keep a small plastic spray bottle (cologne-size) of it in the medicine cabinet.

MacUser
Established Member

Postby MacUser » July 2nd, 2008, 5:23 am

Daryl,
Let me expand on your tips on Fever Blisters and Shaving.

Fever Blisters
1) Stress and Burdens: Turn the problems over to Christ. Without the worry and stress.. I don't get them nearly as often. My personal understanding of Grace has done more than medicine. I personally love stress and can work well with it... but my body rebells, shuts down, starts making mistakes etc. So I had to learn a balance.

2) Lotion & Moisturizers: The virus lives in your spine nerve endings and travels up under your neck and onto your facial lip area during times of stress of sickness. As you have learned.. keep lotion and ( Aquaphor by Eucerin is one of the best ) applied to your facial areas and even neck as these are some of the areas it is "reading" from your spinal neck nerves.
I have even during the onset of one.. used on Aquaphor on it (it's ugly and shiney.. but only lasts about a day before turning to heal. It also speeds the healing as scabs take longer for it to shrink) So Aquaphor and Eucerin lotions are amazing.

3) Alcohol Application: Yes what you said on Alcohol application works.. ( I call it burning it out - apply to it stings and burns that spot for as long as you can hold it - insert hours here) but from my experience.. not with ALL of the out breaks. I'm beginning to believe that some are different that others and you have to adjust the treatment to match that specific outbreak as crazy as that sounds.

4) Ice or Cold Pack Application: Fever blisters have that name because of the irritating heat they appear to produce with the swollen throbbing etc. So I have experimented with direct ice application as well as cold pack application and have had extraordinary results on some. Amazingly.. I have completely stopped the onset of a few blisters by catching some early enough with direct ice early in the a.m. It literally stopped it from developing. If not complete removal.. it will reduce the outbreak area. The only negative is that you must apply the ice or ice pack (as cold as you can get - directly on the raw area - insert hours here)

5) Expensive Medicine - Valtrex: You can get a prescription for this specialized antibiotic from your doctor $$. If taken early it will reduce the outbreak time - but it increases my already groggy state when I develop a blister.

6) Over the Counter - Abrevia: Sadly it doesn't work on me at all and I think I've had a worse reaction using it than not at all.

7) Avoid Nut Based Foods: The fever blister is a virus and loves specific foods such as anything NUT based. It loves the oil that comes from this and related products it is added into. Be aware of this type of intake.

Shaving:
8) Everything you said is great. When you shave as you have noticed.. take special care around your mouth and chin, cheek areas close to your mouth. This is where I use an electric razor as it doesn't irritate the nerve endings. I then shave using a razor on all other areas. Always Moisturize your mouth /neck area immediately after this. Even let a little stubble grow as much as possible so that you can reduce your shaving as much as possible. This will help on the grand scheme.

Not only do Fever Blisters effect your mouth.. but also your mind. I can tell a day or so earlier as my thoughts become foggy and I am unable to write code or struggle with higher concentration. When I see these warning signs.. I know to increase lotion and moisturizer.

Also lastly.. you are highly infectious during an outbreak and never, ever kiss any kids or touch your mouth and touch a kids face etc. You can spread it from your mouth to your eyes also every easily. So never touch both during an outbreak.

Using these random methods above my outbreaks changed from once a month to one or two a year now depending on work & church stress loads.

Hope my personal experience helps.

God Bless
chris
Chris -

... Behold, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world!
John 1:29

Ilovebigcats
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Ilovebigcats » July 2nd, 2008, 6:50 am

Do ya'll have Dollar Tree?

jessicacook
Hall Of Fame

as far as shaving goes....

Postby jessicacook » July 2nd, 2008, 7:17 am

I don't use shaving cream either. It dries my skin out really bad. Even the ones for dry skin! I use my Dove soap. Yes, it's a bit pricier. I had to use it for Jakob anyways, so I bought it at Sam's and decided to use it myself. It works so well, I use it for shaving and it keeps my skin moisturized.

As far as the razors go, I just buy the disposable Daisies or something like that. They last me a while.
Jessica Cook

"You are God alone....You're unchangeable, unshakable, unstoppable that's what You are"

www.myspace.com/jessica1cook
http://jessica1cook.blogspot.com

klc
Frequent Flyer

Postby klc » July 2nd, 2008, 10:33 am

Here is an interesting site I found. www.hillbillyhousewife.com There are lots of recipes and money saving tips as well.
" The world see's what we do, God see's why we do them "

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”