What Ever Happened To ...

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Chosen_Generation
Needs a hobby

What Ever Happened To ...

Postby Chosen_Generation » March 22nd, 2008, 3:53 pm

Elwood Matthews?? is he still activily involved in ministry???
i'm outta the loop.. but i enjoyed the ministry of these folks!
"Jesus just saved your life.. Hallejur " - Madea

scooter
--== J2 ==--

He is

Postby scooter » March 22nd, 2008, 4:58 pm

He is retired and in Florida.
What we need here is a good revival! lol

Chosen_Generation
Needs a hobby

Postby Chosen_Generation » March 22nd, 2008, 6:45 pm

Still preaching?

scooter
--== J2 ==--

I don't thik he is

Postby scooter » March 23rd, 2008, 12:06 pm

I didn't want to say it out in the open but he has sufferd from a rare disorder which causes him to say words he doesn't mean and mix his words together and struggle to say even a simple sentence.

I didn't want to say that if he was doing better.
What we need here is a good revival! lol

Chosen_Generation
Needs a hobby

Postby Chosen_Generation » March 23rd, 2008, 4:22 pm

he'll be in my prayers.. i apologize if my question made it public.. if it wasn't supose to..

n2jesus
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...

Scooter

Postby n2jesus » March 23rd, 2008, 4:42 pm

I don't know what his diagnosis is but I believe what you are describing is called "word salad"...It's seen in patients with multiple types of dementia, brain damage, tourettes, and alzhiemers...

Linda
Hey, hey, hey

Re: Scooter

Postby Linda » March 23rd, 2008, 6:56 pm

n2jesus wrote:I don't know what his diagnosis is but I believe what you are describing is called "word salad"...It's seen in patients with multiple types of dementia, brain damage, tourettes, and alzhiemers...

A few months ago I had heard that he had alzhiemers.
Linda

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Re: I don't thik he is

Postby Pastor Gary » March 23rd, 2008, 7:00 pm

scooter wrote:I didn't want to say it out in the open but he has sufferd from a rare disorder which causes him to say words he doesn't mean and mix his words together and struggle to say even a simple sentence.

I think my late mother experienced some of that, though less of the words she didn't mean, and more of nonsensical strings of words that left her confused and frustrated.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Rob
Hey, hey, hey

Postby Rob » March 24th, 2008, 4:32 am

scooter wrote:I didn't want to say it out in the open but he has sufferd from a rare disorder which causes him to say words he doesn't mean and mix his words together and struggle to say even a simple sentence.

Scooter, that was what my mom suffered from until her death. Today she is not mixing words or saying words she does not mean. Elwood and Roberta have always been one of my hero's. We will continue to remember them in prayer.
If I were to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for business. I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right will make no difference." -Abraham Lincoln

DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-

Postby DeWayneTN » March 24th, 2008, 4:41 am

They are precious people. I have seen them several times since I've been down here in Florida.
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)
Visit my blog: www.dewaynehamby.com

paul
I can see clearly now!

Postby paul » March 24th, 2008, 4:54 am

Pastor Rob wrote:

Elwood and Roberta have always been one of my hero's. We will continue to remember them in prayer.

I echo your sentiment. As a youth in St. Louis, I remember when he and Roberta came and visited our church. He was the General VLB Secretary, Elva Howard, John Stubbs, Harper Hunter, Billy Murry. Man that is a trip down memory lane. Oh I almost forgot Dr. Ron :lol: :lol:

We will be praying for Bro. Elwoood.
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting
and preserving yourself.

Dr. Ron
I like flapjacks.

Whatever happened to ?

Postby Dr. Ron » March 24th, 2008, 5:08 am

Thanks Paul...I am in good company with those folks.

Elwood always had a problem with words..... :lol: :lol:

I don't mean to diminish his problem ....but he and I are very close friends.
We talked about that many times.....he was "something else"

I was watching an old video of the installation of Billy Murray as GO. It was not labeled and I was trying to find out what it was...and there was Elwood
being like Walter Cronkite!

Long history with that gent.
Dr. Ron

soulsearcher
What's next?

Postby soulsearcher » March 24th, 2008, 7:02 am

Elwood and Roberta live off the intracoastal waterway near the Titusville coast, near long-time friends, Malcolm and Hanna Linkous, whose youngest son, Larry, pastors a large church in Titusville; New Life Assembly.

The Matthews visit our church in Kissimmee annually, and we always enjoy taking them out for dinner afterward. Last time they were here with her sister, Rosetta, and husband, Hugh Edwards.

I, too, have a long history with Elwood Matthews, having traveled with he and Roberta in crusades and working for him in VOS 9 years. Yes, his speech now is "all mixed up", but with a little effort one can understand what he is trying to say. Roberta seems to know exactly.

I love the Matthews dearly, and consider them both to be legendary in shaping my spiritual walk. If I could hear him preach today, I would still want to run to the altar and repent. :)

Faith rider
Needs a hobby

He was

Postby Faith rider » March 24th, 2008, 11:29 am

Bro. Matthews was a great overseer to NC, and he always kept you laughing. Our prayers are with him.
May your golf ball land in the greens not the still waters.

Kevin
Whoa!!
Whoa!!

Re: Soulsearcher

Postby Kevin » March 25th, 2008, 12:41 am

Malcolm and Hanna Linkous. Malcolm was our first or second state overseer when dad went to Mississippi from New Mexico (when I was like 4 years old).
That's MISTER Hello Kitty to you!!!

:D :D :D

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”