Youth Ministry "creed"

Ideas, trends, staff needs, equipment... all the things related to church leadership, pastoring and operations. (Combining the contents of several older forums.)

Moderators: Pastor Gary, Jennifer Smith, Billy n NC, justsam, pastorables, darylscook

dbserv
Hey, hey, hey

Youth Ministry "creed"

Postby dbserv » September 21st, 2005, 7:59 am

Here's a creed that a fellow youth ministry worker wrote.

"I read the U.S.A Army creed, and decided to make a Church of God Solider one...for the VLB...hope ya'll like it.

God Bless

Soldiers of The Cross
I am a soldier of the cross. I am a member of the Church of God Army - a protector of the greatest nation on earth. Because I am proud of the uniform I wear Holiness, I will always act in ways creditable to the military service and the nation that I have made a covenant to defend.
I am proud of Christ’s organization. I will do all I can to be the finest VLB in my church. I will be loyal to those under whom I serve. I will do my full part to carry out orders and instructions given to me or the VLB.
As a soldier, I realize that I am a member of a Divine Institute - which I am doing my share to keep alive the principles of freedom for which the church stands. No matter what situation I am in, I will never do anything, for pleasure, profit, or personal safety, which will disgrace my uniform, the VLB, or The Church of God. I will use every means I have, even beyond the line of duty, to restrain my Army comrades from actions disgraceful to themselves and the VLB.
I am proud of The Church of God and its flag. I will try to make the people of this nation proud of the service I represent, for I am a soldier of the cross.

Respectfully yours Bro.J.N. Bonilla"

Personally, I see more commitment to an organization than I see to Christ. That bothers me to the extreme.

IMHO, we need to be committed to Christ FIRST AND FOREMOST. Any commitment to a man made organization should be second place or lower.

Anyone else have any first impressions, thoughts, comments, etc.??????
God Bless You

Dan Bagley

Paully_44
Established Member

Re: Youth Ministry "creed"

Postby Paully_44 » September 21st, 2005, 10:14 am

dbserv wrote:Personally, I see more commitment to an organization than I see to Christ.

that was my first impression.... and second..... and third.....

dbserv wrote:IMHO, we need to be committed to Christ FIRST AND FOREMOST. Any commitment to a man made organization should be second place or lower.

I would place committment to an orginazation WAY down the list.
Let the wild rumpus start!

Billy n NC

Postby Billy n NC » September 21st, 2005, 10:42 am

We have always heard

God
Family
Self

in that order..

Question..

Is God and Church the Same on the list?
Billy Broach
Ebroach Services
http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/

Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes

Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb

dbserv
Hey, hey, hey

Postby dbserv » September 21st, 2005, 1:54 pm

Billy n NC wrote:We have always heard

God
Family
Self

in that order..

Question..

Is God and Church the Same on the list?

Not in my opinion.

I think that "church" is off the list.

I have always heard JOY = Jesus, others, and then you.

IF God calls you to a ministry, then that would fall under the God/Jesus place on the list. But, the "church" as an organization should not be a priority above any of these listed.

I have seen people who placed the church more important than their family and their kids want nothing to do with God because of it.

I know a family where music was an important part of the upbringing. The children used their musical talent for God in every service. To get their training they were in the band at school. As a part of a band, they had to play in concerts. Yet, the father never attended one single concert in all those years because they were always on a church night. There might be two or three concerts a year, but "church" was too important for this person to miss to support his children.

One of his children is not walking with God as a direct result of that. The others have had to struggle with the feelings and let God take the hurt away. Most do still struggle with the feelings from time to time, though they don't blame God for it.

Don't get me wrong. Church is important. We need to fellowship. We need to be with God's family. But, "church" is not more important than God, family, others, or even ourselves.

At least, IMHO.
God Bless You

Dan Bagley

Poimen
What's next?

Postby Poimen » November 5th, 2005, 11:50 am

My Opinion...

It is not exactly what I would call a Creed (in format at least), but rather a pledge or committment. The VLB theme this year is "Soldiers of the Cross" -- so I can see how an adapted version of the actual US Soldiers pledge could yield great inspiration and perspective about the purpose and place of this auxilary in the scope of the Church's ministry for Christ.

Given the context, and for whom/what the declaration is adapted, I would not take it as a slight to the Place of Christ at all. Of course I can see how those who are not members of this auxialary or church might misconstrue the intent.

For instance, remove the value for what TCOG equals in brother Bonilla's mind, as you see it, and instead make the value equal to your own understanding of what constitutes the church. Then reread it with that understanding and certainly everything is in place, and Christ remains preemeninet. For us (TCOGers) the value of what actuall equals the church is different but the purpose or conclusion is the same. The idea is to simply inspire and increase moral in the VLB for the theme -- Soldiers of the Cross.
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

"I wish a buck was still silver, it was back when the country was strong." -- The Hag

LoveMyAlvarez
Needs a hobby

HI

Postby LoveMyAlvarez » October 17th, 2006, 7:14 pm

I think I'm about a year late on this reply...noticed it was started in 2005. but I do have a question... does COGOP still call youth ministry VLB???? I haven't heard that in ages... was just curious.
No greater time than the present to make a difference for the Kingdom of God! So Get Busy!

We're PREGNANT!!!

stevenson
I can see clearly now!

Postby stevenson » October 18th, 2006, 5:09 pm

No, VLB got thrown out a long time ago. I also don't agree with the above comments about Jesus, Others, you or any other order above. None fit scripture and should not be taught. Just my humble opion!
"No, I am just telling you what the Word says" -Vestal Goodman

Oneway Ministries

Return to “Preacher/Teacher Pages”