Christ Our Passover Series

Ideas, trends, staff needs, equipment... all the things related to church leadership, pastoring and operations. (Combining the contents of several older forums.)

Moderators: Pastor Gary, Jennifer Smith, Billy n NC, justsam, pastorables, darylscook

Poimen
What's next?

Christ Our Passover Series

Postby Poimen » March 22nd, 2007, 7:48 pm

If anyone is interested ...

I've been doing a series on the first of the 3 feasts of Israel and the elements of the Passover/Communion and how they typify Christ. This is a five message series. This Sunday I will be delivering he 3rd in the series. The th and last of the series will be the sermon for our Sunday AM service on First Fruits (aka Easter).

Please see following replies for notes/outlines of sermons so far.
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

"I wish a buck was still silver, it was back when the country was strong." -- The Hag

Poimen
What's next?

Foreword/Foundation

Postby Poimen » March 22nd, 2007, 7:49 pm

Christ-- Our Passover
Passover-- the festival and its feasts.
Typical of the person and work of Christ.

Leviticus 23 names the Seven Feasts that God gave to Israel as a perpetual observance. They are…
1. Passover
2. Unleavened Bread
3. First Fruits
4. Pentecost
5. Trumpets
6. Atonement
7. Tabernacles

These were divided into three main festivals. We will be looking at the first festival, which included the first three feasts. Over a period of seven days these three feasts would be observed. Passover was always on the 14th of the first month in Israel (celebrated either the evening before or the evening after – both were acceptable). Following Passover (on the 15th) was the feast of Unleavened Bread. Then the day after the regular Saturday Sabbath for that week (the first day of the next week – Sunday) was the Feast of First Fruits. We will call these together (Passover, Unleavened Bread, & First fruits) the Passover festival. Starting with Passover the Jews would remove all leaven and leavened items from their homes. They would search the home to make sure no leaven remained, and would eat only unleavened bread.

For the next several Sundays we will be looking at these feasts and their observance to find their fulfillment in Christ – who is our Passover. This will bring us to what is commonly called Easter Sunday, which this year is the same day as the ancient and divinely given Jewish feast of First Fruits. It is the day and feast that culminated the Passover festival and on which Christ was resurrected.

It will do us well to remember the following:

-- Jesus was (and is) a Jew. He did things as a Jew would.

-- The first members and ministers of the church were also Jews.

-- The church is thus of Jewish roots. Both Jew and Gentile may enter. But at its core the church is very much Jewish.

Many of the NT references and analogies, as well as practices that we carry on today, are not fully understood then unless we have some insight to the culture and practices from which they evolved or on which they were based, such as the Jewish festival of Passover.

Sermon One – Christ Our Passover Lamb
Sermon Two – Christ Our Unleavened Bread
Sermon Three – Christ Our Cup of Blessing
Sermon Four – Christ Our First Fruits & the Resurrection
Sermon Five – Christ Our Deliverer
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

"I wish a buck was still silver, it was back when the country was strong." -- The Hag

Poimen
What's next?

Christ Our Passover Lamb

Postby Poimen » March 22nd, 2007, 7:50 pm

Christ Our Passover Lamb
Leviticus 23:4-13_______________________________________________________

1 Corinthians 5: 6-8
6Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? 7Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: 8Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
A. One of the most recognizable emblems or elements of the Passover is the sacrificial lamb(s). It is fitting then (and divinely inspired for this purpose) that these lambs would be a type or analogy for the person and sacrifice of Jesus – the lamb of God.
John 1:29-34, Revelation 7:9. 10 (etc.), & 1 Peter 1:18-20

B. The lamb(s) had to be (Exodus 12:5 & 1 Peter 1:18-20)…
1. a male (Isaiah 9:6)
2. of the first year (aka mature -- in his prime) (Luke 3:21-23)
3. without blemish (Isaiah 7:14, Hebrews 4:15) – speaks to us of His sinless nature and life
a. They were inspected. Consider Christ’s inspection…
i. At the triumphal entry and the common crowds
ii. Before the various sects of the Jews and their questions
iii. Before the High Priest and Sanhedrin trial
iv. Before Pilate, the Roman Procurator.

C. These Passover lamb(s) were …
1. sacrificed and eaten, along with bitter herbs and unleavened bread -- wine and/or grape juice was used for drink. At the first Passover they ate in haste. After reclaiming the promised land they ate at ease (as with Jesus and the disciples).
a. The bitter herbs reminded them of the bitter tasks and bondage of Egypt. They speak to us of the bitterness and bondage of sin.
b. The eating and drinking symbolized partaking of the life and provision of the sacrifice. WE are made partakers of Christ’s life and nature when we accept his sacrifice for our sins on our behalf.
2. slaughtered in Jerusalem -- where the Temple was.
a. Christ said it could not be that a prophet suffered outside of Jerusalem.
b. Jerusalem was the center of Israel because it was where the temple was, the area where God’s name was placed.
c. At and before that time it was at Jerusalem where men ought to worship.
3. were sacrificed at set times during the day of Passover (Deuteronomy 16:5)
a. (Mark 15:33-38) at the ninth hour (3:00 pm) Jesus yielded his life -- at the very moment the last of the Passover lambs were being slaughtered at the temple.
b. He did this to point towards and fulfill the type in the Passover lamb and the Passover feast.
c. He suffered on the cross as long as was permitted in order to be buried in time to keep the next feast, or rather to fulfill it – Unleavened Bread.
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

Poimen
What's next?

Christ Our Unleavened Bread

Postby Poimen » March 22nd, 2007, 7:52 pm

Christ Our Unleavened Bread
1 Corinthians 5: 6-8
6Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? 7Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: 8Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

I. Jesus took the Passover bread and broke it. He said that the bread represented Him (his body).
See Luke 22:19 (see also Matthew 26:26, Mark 14:22, & 1 Corinthians 11:23, 24)
II. Israel was predominately an agricultural society of people. Cereal grains, such as wheat, where staple items and common in every home. They were used to make bread (naturally). Bread then was a primary and staple source of food. It was the primary source of life in that sense. It is commonly referenced throughout the Bible and is used extensively by Christ in his teaching, often to represent Himself.
A.) John 6:31-36, & 47-48
B.) John 12:23, 24
C.) Luke 4:4 (see also John 1:1)
III. During this festive week (starting with Passover through First Fruits) there was to be no leaven (or leavened items) in the home -- in any fashion. The home was routinely searched to ensure no leaven was present. If any was found it was discarded and removed. This is the reason the Feast (and day) immediately following the Passover are called “Unleavened Bread.” Leaven is often used to represent sin or sinful influences. Naturally then the appropriate bread used in Passover, and thus Communion, is unleavened.
A.) Leviticus 23:3-8
B.) 1 Corinthians 5:6-8 (importance of keeping sin out of congregation and our lives)
1.) John 13:26-30 (Judas was leaven in the “church” and was in God’s providence removed)
C.) 2 Corinthians 7:1
D.) 2 Corinthians 13:5
E.) 1 Corinthians 11:28

IV. The traditional bread used among the Jews (and thus by Jesus) had/have some unique characteristics. Not only is it unleavened and not allowed to rise, it also has stripped markings across its body, and it is pierced.
A.) John 19:1-5
B.) Isaiah 53:5 (see also 1 Peter 2:24)
C.) John 19:34, & 37
D.) Zechariah 12:10
V. In the Jewish Passover Seder there are three special pieces of bread taken out of a linen cloth/bag. This speaks to us of the Trinity. The middle one (Christ, the Son of God and 2nd Person of the triune God) is broken. It (our a portion of it) is then placed back in its linen cloth and hidden by the father. In the traditional celebration the children will later search for the hidden portion of bread. The one who found it received a gift or award.
A.) Mark 15:42-47
1.) Mark 16:9
2.) 1 Corinthians 15:1-8
B.) Revelation 22:12
C.) Romans 6:23
D.) Hebrews 9:28
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

Poimen
What's next?

Christ Our Cup of Blessing

Postby Poimen » March 22nd, 2007, 7:53 pm

Christ Our Cup of Blessing

1 Corinthians 10:16
16. The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?

I. The Passover meal included 4 distinct cups of wine. Each cup had a special and symbolic purpose. Of those cups Christ took one (the third of the seder) blessed it or gave thanks for it and said it represented His blood, the blood of the new testament.

A. Matthew 26:27-29 -- 27And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; 28For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. 29But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

B. See also Mark 14:23-25, Luke 22: 20, & 1 Corinthians 11:25

II. Consider these :
A. **Traditional Blessing over bread: "Blessed are you, LORD, our God, King of the universe, who brings forth bread from the earth."

B. **Traditional Blessing over the wine: "Blessed are You, LORD, our God, King of the universe, who creates the fruit of the vine."

III. In Luke’s Gospel two of the four cups are specifically identified at Christ’s last Passover supper – the 1st cup and the 3rd cup. These were considered the more important of the 4 cups, the third being the greatest.
A. Luke 22: 1, & 15-18, & 20.
1. The 1st cup was known as the Cup of Sanctification.
2. The 2nd cup the Cup of Wrath (or Plagues)
3. The 3rd cup was the Cup of Redemption (aka) the Cup of Blessing
4. The 4th cup was the Cup of Praise or Acceptance -- and is also known among Jews as the Cup of Elijah.
IV. The 3rd cup is the One Christ said represented his shed blood. It speaks to us of the means by which our sins were atoned or remitted -- The shedding of blood. It recalls the shed blood of the first Paschal lambs offered in Egypt. This blood applied allowed God to Passover them and was the provision of their deliverance. They drink the wine to commemorate the blood applied – the blood of their lambs – the blood of the old covenant. It further typified the meal or cup used among in ancient times to seal a covenant and notably used in Jesus’ day to seal a covenant of marriage, commencing what they call the espousal period.
A. Hebrews 9:22, & also 1 Peter 1:18 & 19
V. The Cup of redemption could also be called the Cup o salvation. Our God covenanted to save us from our sins with the shedding of His own blood and by offering his own first born, only begotten unique Son as our Passover – the lamb of God. The cup represents not only that Jesus died for our sins (his body broken) but he shed his blood as a sacrifice to adequately pay for or satisfy our sins. It is interesting then to note that during the Passover the Jews read, quoted and/or sang from some specific Psalms (116-118). It is noted in the Gospel’s that following the supper Jesus and his disciples sang a hymn (probably these Psalms or a portion thereof) together. Consider then verse 13 of the 116 Psalm.
A. Psalm 116:13

VI. Those who believe on and in the atoning sacrifice of Christ – his death, burial, and resurrection – that trust in Him as savior and Lord are those who truly eat His flesh and drink His blood. In that way we partake of the life and merit of Christ that was offered on our behalf. And Like wise we receive part in His resurrection and eternal life. These that are such are those who may commemorate His death in a celebratory meal. Only those who have been converted (repented of sin and by faith in Christ have been “born again”) are to receive the communion. Thus he says …
A. John 6:53-56
B. 1 Corinthians 11:27-29

VII. The Blessing that Jews pronounce over the wine, the same blessing pronounced by Christ, honored God for creating the fruit of the vine (grapes) – and of consequence all that is made from it. Likewise it pictures Christ -- His work for us, our association with Him (he in us and us in Him), and the results that are evidenced through us because we are in Him. Christ is The Vine, the source and the giver of the fruit.
A. John 15:1-5, and also Revelation 22:16
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

Poimen
What's next?

Christ Our Firstfruits

Postby Poimen » March 31st, 2007, 6:11 pm

Christ Our Firstfruits
Leviticus 23:9-13_______________________________________________________

1 Corinthians 15:20-23
20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. 21For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. 22For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 23But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

**QUOTE: Under the old law, the firstfruits were the earliest gathered grains, fruits, and vegetables that the people dedicated to God in recognition of His faithfulness for providing the necessities of life. The Israelites were to offer to God a sheaf of the first grain that was harvested on the day after the Sabbath following the Passover feast (Leviticus 23:9-14). (Kistemaker, 1993, p. 548 & www.apologeticspress.org).

I. John 12: 23-24
A. Luke 6:1
B. Mark 4:28

II. Hebrews 10:5-7 (1-10 for context)

A. Psalm 40:6-8 (my ears thou hast opened vs. a body prepared above)

**QUOTE (c’ntd.): … Paul used the term “firstfruits” in this letter to the Corinthian church to reinforce the certainty of the resurrection. Just as the term “firstfruits” indicates that “the first sheaf of the forthcoming grain harvest will be followed by the rest of the sheaves, Christ, the firstfruits raised from the dead, is the guarantee for all those who belong to him that they also will share in his resurrection (Kistemaker, 1993, p. 548 & www.apologeticspress.org).

III. 1 Corinthians 15:35-38, & 42-49

A. Colossians 1:15-18 (14-23 for context)

B. Luke 20:34-36

C. John 11:25

IV. 1 John 3:1-3

**For article quoted please visit full link at http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/603
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

Poimen
What's next?

Christ Our Deliverer

Postby Poimen » April 8th, 2007, 5:53 pm

Christ Our Deliverer
Acts 7:1-7, & 31-35_______________________________________________________

Matthew 1:20-23
20But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. 21And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. 22Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, 23Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

I. God sent Moses as his agent to deliver Israel. God spared Israel from judgment and death by the blood of the Passover lamb.
1. Acts 7:31-35

II. God chose Abraham and made a promise to him that he would give him a son. God preached the gospel to Him and spared the life of his son Isaac by providing Abraham with a lamb.
1. Hebrews 11:17-19
A. Galatians 3:7-8
B. Genesis 22:1-14

III. God himself came to Adam and Eve and called them to repentance. They had attempted through their own effort to make themselves acceptable. Their works were inadequate. He graciously covered their condition with an adequate covering He himself provided. Here started a scarlet thread of sacrifice and redemption which was woven throughout time and creation into the pages of the Bible and which led to the apex of man’s destiny on a hill called Calvary.
1. Genesis 3:21
2. 1 Peter 1:19-20
A. See Revelation 13:8 also Revelation 17:8

IV. God, who foresaw the need and sinfulness of his creation, called us to trust in Him and believe His word. He provided a lamb to take our place and to adequately cover our sinful condition. He purposed before all time to send his Son to become a man, to live and to offer a sinless life as an acceptable sacrifice for us. God, in Christ, came as our deliverer. All those who by faith and repentance are freed from slavery to sin and it’s Master have the blood of Christ applied to their hearts, accept His lordship over their lives, and follow Him become the new covenant people of God. God himself delivered us. He bought us with a price. He provides for, leads, and guides us through this wilderness of sin to the promised eternal life to come. And in the Day of Judgment when God sees the blood of his Son marked on our behalf He will pass over us.
1. Romans 8:29-32

V. This is the gospel. This is the message of God has repeatedly given to man since the dawn of creation. God saw our need and came to deliver us. Jesus! Savior, and Lord. He came to save us from our sins (see Matthew 1:21).
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

MrDanger
I like flapjacks.

Postby MrDanger » April 12th, 2007, 8:11 am

What scripture says which cup Jesus drank out of? I didn't see that in your notes.
"Students are encouraged to mingle with the midgets." - Mr. Jones' 1st Block Class

Poimen
What's next?

Postby Poimen » April 21st, 2007, 6:43 pm

MrDanger wrote:What scripture says which cup Jesus drank out of? I didn't see that in your notes.

Sorry Brother. For some reason this post never indicated as a new reply for me. I happened to see your name on the thread and realized you had replied.

In answer to your question we can find this (deduce it) in Luke 22:20.
By becoming familiar with the order of the Seder and it's cups when can find clear indication in Luke's writing that designated the cup which we bless as the third cup of the Seder. We know this because the cup that followed the main passover supper was the third cup. Luke tells us that Christ took the cup after supper or quite literally rendered the "after supper cup."

Luke specifically references the 1st cup (which started the Seder) and the 3rd cup (which followed the meal), in his account of the "last supper."
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » April 27th, 2007, 4:34 pm

Doesn't the Scripture show that this supper took place before the day of the Passover?
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Cups

Postby Pastor Gary » April 28th, 2007, 11:22 am

Poimen wrote:In answer to your question we can find this (deduce it) in Luke 22:20.
By becoming familiar with the order of the Seder and it's cups when can find clear indication in Luke's writing that designated the cup which we bless as the third cup of the Seder. We know this because the cup that followed the main passover supper was the third cup. Luke tells us that Christ took the cup after supper or quite literally rendered the "after supper cup."

Luke specifically references the 1st cup (which started the Seder) and the 3rd cup (which followed the meal), in his account of the "last supper."

There are four cups of wine consumed over the course of a seder:

The First Cup: the Cup of Sanctification and Freedom
The Second Cup: the Cup of Deliverance
The Third Cup: the Cup of Redemption
The Fourth Cup: the Cup of Thanksgiving and Hope

You may see slight variances in the precise names of those four cups depending upon which Haggadah you follow, but the concepts are the same.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Poimen
What's next?

Postby Poimen » April 28th, 2007, 2:04 pm

Full Quiver wrote:Doesn't the Scripture show that this supper took place before the day of the Passover?

Actually, No. It doesn't. Part of the confusion may be that we forget the Jewish day starts at or near sundown. That evening when Christ ate with them it was officially Passover night. In fact Christ calls it the Passover meal.

The Jews were somewhat divided on when to eat Passover. Some opting for the first evening of passover and some/most opting for the evening following passover -- officially designated Unleavend Bread. Both were lawful in that the text indicates passover observance between the twilights or evenings, which seems to leave room for either/or.

By eating on the least recognized meal night Christ was able both to keep the feast as the law required and to fulfill it later that actually day when He literally became our Passover sacrifice.
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » April 29th, 2007, 5:23 pm

Interesting
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

Return to “Preacher/Teacher Pages”