How can we Keep them?

Ideas, trends, staff needs, equipment... all the things related to church leadership, pastoring and operations. (Combining the contents of several older forums.)

Moderators: Pastor Gary, Jennifer Smith, Billy n NC, justsam, pastorables, darylscook

Billy n NC

How can we Keep them?

Postby Billy n NC » January 5th, 2007, 4:19 pm

Found this article about HS youth leaving church after Grad. 88%..

http://mondaymorninginsight.com/index.p ... gh_school/

Looks like the article is from August.
Billy Broach
Ebroach Services
http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/

Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes

Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb

Steve
700+ Posts

Postby Steve » January 9th, 2007, 6:17 pm

The Article wrote:The sad thing is that we’re seeing that number of dropouts from church [among] those who went to public school and private school, and that’s an unfortunate trend.”

They didn't mention homeschool. According to the latest statistics, homeschool families are losing about 10-15% of their kids. I think this is due to the fact that MOST homeschool families talk about God (Deut. 6) and even have regular family Bible studies (only 1 in 20 evangelical familes have EVER had a family Bible study).

It is the responsibilty of the FAMILY to disciple their children. Not the church.
Deut. 6 wrote:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

Who else has the ability to do this other than the family? When FATHERS start caring more about seeing their kids go to heaven than who won the football game or the NASCAR race, then we will see a change. Dropping them into a hormone-charged social event once or twice a week is not discipleship. I know some churches don't operate this way, but evidently a lot do, or the percentage wouldn't be 88%.
The Bible calls children a blessing and debt a curse, but in our culture we apply for curses and reject blessings.

MrDanger
I like flapjacks.

Postby MrDanger » January 10th, 2007, 10:25 am

Wow. Where to begin. "Hormone charged events" - What are ya'll doing up at Arrowhead?

Parents responsibility and true service of Christ in my humble opinion.

Number 1 - If a child says they don't want to go to church any more, throw out your God given line, "As long as you live in my house..." and back it up with actions.

Number 2 - The problem with keeping youth in church is they are tired of church being just that....church. Come to a building, learn a cute little lesson that consists of the basis of spiritual baby formula, and sing a couple of songs.

From real conversations, not just someone's statistics that may or may not be skewed, young people are telling me that they are tired of church being "just church". We talk, but do we show the actions. Do we come to exalt God and gain deep understanding about our Lord, or do we just come out of obligation, sit like good little people and go home.

Talk to kids that go to a church that is very service oriented (not time you have church, ministering to the poor, widowed and orphaned). They are loving it and getting their friends to come to church. They go to college and drive to get back home so they can attend a church they LOVE!

This isn't a youth problem. This is a Body of Christ problem. Attendance is dropping among all age groups according to "reliable" statistics. Everyone is getting tired of church as usual. They want something real. They actually want to go to a church that follows the teachings of Christ (referring to actions rather than doctrine).
"Students are encouraged to mingle with the midgets." - Mr. Jones' 1st Block Class

Kenya

Postby Kenya » January 24th, 2007, 12:54 pm

Good points, Jeff. I wish more parents would "make" their kids attend church. Our church has quite the opposite problem. The kids come voluntarily - it's the parents that don't come. Weird, huh?

This loss of post highschoolers is something Joey and I have recognized from groups we have taught in the past. We are going to try and do something about it at New Life. Our crowd of about 20 youth is a very tight knit bunch and they are unlike any group we have had before. they come to church for the right reasons - but also for the fringe benefits of friendships. If one comes to the altar, they all come. They are more than willing to help with the maintenance and repairs of the church. They also extend this helping hand to members that need help. They hang out with each other at church and also on the weekends outside of church (sound familiar, Jeff?) A few of them have graduated and the majority of them are going to be juniors in high school next year. We have come to have really close relationships with these kids and know them inside and out. They stay at our house about every weekend. We have been spiritual advisors to them and have "connected" with them. They trust us and most 20 year olds don't want to have to rebuild trust with a new leader.

Soooo...Rather than throwing them out of the youth into the adults, and taking on the next bunch that comes along, Joey and I are committing to staying with THIS group on into their college lives, jobs, young marrieds and even when they become parents. We are going to move along with them and minister to their needs as they happen. We are praying for someone else to rise up within the church or to come to the church that can minister to those kids who now in the children's dept and will soon be teenagers at our church.

Pray that this transition works and we will let you know how it goes. Or you can just keep watching our website pics to see what's happening.
Kenya

I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing! Galatians 2:21

http://www.somersetcommunitymission.com

MrDanger
I like flapjacks.

Postby MrDanger » January 26th, 2007, 11:00 am

That is awesome Kenya. Sounds like true discipleship to me. I wish more would view it that way.

I have tried doing that with the kids I work camp with, and have mentored. Move on up with them and keep in touch with them.
"Students are encouraged to mingle with the midgets." - Mr. Jones' 1st Block Class

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Pastor Bill » January 26th, 2007, 11:26 am

Well Mr Danger, if you really like that idea, we would love to have you come take the next group!
"Why would God allow Hitler his chapter in history? Why would God send a whale to swallow Jonah or turn a woman into a pillar of salt? Surely there were other ways. But I'll leave the particular methods of God to God."
-Spoken by David Abraham, Showdown by Ted Dekker

MrDanger
I like flapjacks.

Postby MrDanger » January 30th, 2007, 9:42 am

Pastor Bill wrote:Well Mr Danger, if you really like that idea, we would love to have you come take the next group!

:D
Did Reba put you up to that?

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Pastor Bill » January 31st, 2007, 3:53 am

Nope, but I'll tell her you asked!

So when can we expect you? I assume you'll want to finish out the school year there right. :wink:
"Why would God allow Hitler his chapter in history? Why would God send a whale to swallow Jonah or turn a woman into a pillar of salt? Surely there were other ways. But I'll leave the particular methods of God to God."

-Spoken by David Abraham, Showdown by Ted Dekker

Return to “Preacher/Teacher Pages”