What can COGOP do for our youth in the future?

Ideas, trends, staff needs, equipment... all the things related to church leadership, pastoring and operations. (Combining the contents of several older forums.)

Moderators: Pastor Gary, Jennifer Smith, Billy n NC, justsam, pastorables, darylscook

Billy n NC

Postby Billy n NC » December 23rd, 2006, 11:35 am

Eager you have made some very valid thoughts here on this thread. Let me ask you a question..

How would you make it different.?

The Teen Assembley??? The Youth Conference..

What should be the direction of HQ concerning the Youth.
Billy Broach
Ebroach Services
http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/

Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes

Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb

EagerBeaver
--== J2 ==--

Postby EagerBeaver » December 23rd, 2006, 10:57 pm

A couple things I would change would be to remove the teen assembly from the program and reinstate regional youth conferences. Have one for the north, south, east and west as they used to do. That would have more potential to reach more youth who never would have a chance to make it to a national youth conferences.

Reason I would cancel teen assembly is because the youth need to learn to be better involved in the matters and business affairs of the church. If the youth are going to be the leaders of the church then they need to get involved as early as possible, even if it includes just sitting and taking in a business session or two. My reasoning here might be flawed but IMHO it would be symbolic of the COGOP meaning business when it comes to training young ministers.

I don't know what kind of budget the youth dept up at GHQ has, but I am guessing it can't be much since not much is offered for the youth. That in effect would tie their hands in being able to plan and create new events.

It goes without saying there is a huge disconnect between GHQ and youth (and many youth Leaders as well) across the United States. Whether it's something as simple as events not being publicized very well or something as big as the national youth conference being called off altogether, the message being sent to the youth in the COGOP is clear that they are on the back burner for whatever reason.

Changing that won't be easy and it will require a change of focus. Instead of making the focus so much on training up youth to be leaders there needs to be a focus on ministering to youth where they are at. With so many youth in the COGOP in the United States alone, HQ is going to have to get involved with (and receive feedback from) State, Regional and Local youth Pastors, as well as local church Pastors. I can't think of any step from there as it would solely depend on what kind of feedback they get to sort of gauge what the basic needs of the youth in COGOP today are.

I might be rambling now and it's getting late but I intend to answer your question in further detail Billy. Thanks for the healthy dialog, it's got the wheels in my head turning!
Chris Brewer - My Website

rjjunior
700+ Posts

Postby rjjunior » December 29th, 2006, 12:41 pm

EagerBeaver wrote:Reason I would cancel teen assembly is because the youth need to learn to be better involved in the matters and business affairs of the church. If the youth are going to be the leaders of the church then they need to get involved as early as possible, even if it includes just sitting and taking in a business session or two. My reasoning here might be flawed but IMHO it would be symbolic of the COGOP meaning business when it comes to training young ministers.

EB, Getting the youth to sit in on a business session is tantamount to a miracle. Our group sat in on Saturday's and really liked it (well, kind of like when you watch a train wreck). They didn't come close to the business sessions earlier in the week. Not that it wouldn't be good for them, I kept encouraging it, but it just doesn't happen. So, let them enjoy focused ministry, join the "adults" for the evening sessions and save the family travel expenses of national conferences (on which we agree).

Instead of making the focus so much on training up youth to be leaders there needs to be a focus on ministering to youth where they are at.

Here's another point where we might disagree. It's the local church's job to focus on ministering to the youth where they are at. The International ministry should focus on leadership development, equipping the local church to work on the front lines. If they were more purposeful about that, I'd be happy.

Billy n NC

Postby Billy n NC » December 29th, 2006, 3:52 pm

EB, I agree with RJ, Getting youth to come to Business sessions would be tough. I heard the reason that there was no Teen Assembly was because of the date/time etc. But they had Kids church and it was success full. Maybe the numbers would have been less, but we did not get to find out. I have noticed during the years working in camp that sometimes the Kids just want to be together. Does not matter whats going on, Just be together.

I grew up in the COGOP. I have friends that I have met at these national level events till this day.

RJ, in your last paragraph you said;
Here's another point where we might disagree. It's the local church's job to focus on ministering to the youth where they are at. The International ministry should focus on leadership development, equipping the local church to work on the front lines. If they were more purposeful about that, I'd be happy.

You are right on this that local churches know what there youth need and should minister to those needs. I guess it was in the 96 GA that the theme was Local Vibrant Churches.. HQ's cannot tell , nor should they tell a local church what kind of ministries that there communities need.

You mentioned that Int Offices should focus on leadership and equipping local churches , That is very true, After visiting and watching some of the Teen Talent activities I have not understood why the Teen Talent has not been showcased even more. Giving them 30 min or so is so underrated. These kids where showing and demonstrating some great ways for youth to minister in there local churches.
Billy Broach

Ebroach Services

http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/

Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes

Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb

Return to “Preacher/Teacher Pages”